Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone here have an Omega Juicer?
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 09, 2013 01:06AM

Considering saving up for an Omega VRT350 HD.

Anyone happen to have that very model even??

John Kohler says that this is the one he uses in his home so figured it must be a good one.

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone here have an Omega Juicer?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 09, 2013 02:40AM

that's the one i have. the only downside to it is that for juicing greens like kale, it gets very frothy/foamy and i still have to strain with a nut milk bag.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: February 09, 2013 03:35AM

I have it & love it. It is about the quietest juicer out there & clean up is a snap! Also, if you watch John's vids, (& others) they make nut milk/sherbets/sorbets/etc. with them, even though the unit is not really designed for that use.

I've used mine hard for a couple of years & it is going strong.

Date: February 09, 2013 04:50PM

Yay!! So glad to hear back from you guys.

We have the Champion and the blade is done. We need to replace it, the O-ring and need to get the blank piece, housing, etc. It all comes to well over $100 so we're going to get just the blade, blank and o ring for now. Will prob save up for the Omega as we don't have the $$ to do it right now.

Thanks

Mindy

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 09, 2013 08:02PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that's the one i have. the only downside to it is
> that for juicing greens like kale, it gets very
> frothy/foamy and i still have to strain with a nut
> milk bag.

I would check into that. I have NEVER had that experience and I've had my 8006 for several years. That's what I love about it so much--no foam so you know it's not oxidizing like the centrifugals do.

But of course you have to put it thru a fine mesh strainer. The fiber is very fine.

Date: February 09, 2013 08:33PM

Good to know.

Our Champion starting giving out alot of foam in the past 2 weeks or so. Had never done that previously, which is why we are getting new blade/cutter piece.

Mindy

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 10:55PM

I should volunteer that I have a Samson six n one, and at first I did not like it. But if you need to use wheatgrass it is the one to have. It is not effecient at stuff like cucumbers but does all else well enough for the money. Now you can get the Samson Advanced which is the same basic design with better plastic, bigger motor and better warranty for only 50 bucks more. This is a great juicer for the money and customer service has been very good also! Hope that helps someone, it's always tough to make a decsision on a juicer.

Posted by: JaneL239 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 10:42PM

The Omega is a great juicer, but I would recommend the masticating ones (either the J8004, J8005, or J8006) over the VRT. From what I have read, masticating juicers work better and produce a fresher, better tasting juice.

Here is a review I just came across for the masticating versions of the Omega if you want to check it out: [www.charlottesvineyard.com]

Posted by: janetc ()
Date: March 03, 2013 11:24PM

I have the Omega J8004. Love it. Juices greens efficiently and leaves a dry pulp.

Only drawback (maybe to some, not to me), is time suckage as the Omega squeezes the juice out, so it's not as speedy as the centrifrugal juicers - but it's more thorough, in my opinion. Also it takes time to cut vegs to fit into the shute.

I would say in the morning I'm in the kitchen for 45 minutes juicing. Cutting up, juicing, and clean up time.

I make about 64 ozs of juice for breakfast and lunch.

Omega J8004 is not great on soft fruits. But I have a vitamix for that.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: March 04, 2013 08:17PM

Janetc, you've just described exactly why it's impossible to design a juicer that does all vegetables and fruit well. It would appear that it's just not doable, except maybe for the Norwalk. Anybody have $2,000 to throw around?

Me, I have an ancient Omega, the 8001. I think it was the prototype for the single auger style, but not sure. It's a real pain for hard vegetables such as carrot and beets For that, the fast moving spinning basket type of juicer is better and a whole bunch cheaper, too. So I have an inexpensive one that does the trick for carrot juice.

Mindy - just how old is your champion that you need all those replacement parts? I've always wanted a Champion, thinking it might be the best bet if you want to use only one juicer, but then maybe not...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables