Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you eat hairy coconuts?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:53AM

I bought one the other day. See, a while back I bought something called Coconut Manna (I think). It was pretty expensive and I remembered reading about processing mature coconut thru my Omega 8006 with blank screen and making the same stuff. I bought my hairy coconut for just over $1. I haven't opened it yet and when I shake it, it's got lots of liquid. I heard you're not supposed to drink the water of a mature coco. What say youse guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you eat hairy coconuts?
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: February 19, 2013 04:03AM

The water is fine, I drink it. My rule is as long as the water is not cloudy or has a bad or "off" smell to it, it's fine. Well, it will be a little cloudy...

The hairy ones (mature) are best suited for recipes that use grated coco meat, etc. It is very difficult to juice or otherwise blend/pulverize the meat into anything "soft" and useable, such as coconut pudding, etc.

Not saying the meat cannot be used for those purposes, but IMO the young coconuts have much better meat for that. Scraping the meat out of the mature ones can be a pain, but there are youtube vids where you can learn some tricks on that.

All that said, I don't even know what "Coconut Manna" is, lol.

Date: February 19, 2013 08:22PM

It kind of fooled me. I bought into the hype. I think the company's Nutriva. It's the coconut meat in a "blended" (processed) state and then put in a jar. So they tout the fiber it's got, but at the end of the day, I really wasn't too impressed. The fiber separated from the oil and made it hard to scrape out and use. IMO, it's better just to use the oil in recipes. These days you can get a good deal on a 16 oz. jar. Otherwise, make this stuff yourself! It's like just over $1 and you could probably fill at least one jar with one coconut!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2013 09:00PM

I like mature coconut. I don't make any dishes with it though, just smash and eat. I have "juiced" it in an omega single auger juicer, coconut cream was the result. It was SO rich, nearly inedible. I think it would have made a great addition to ice cream though, frozen fruit and coco cream. Yum!

Date: February 19, 2013 10:04PM

I remember my mom occasionally buying them. I don't know how she opened them. I am gonna wrap it in a plastic bag and throw it on the pavement, LOL. Coco, what I would do after processing would be to put it in a jar and store it in the fridge. Yes, in an ice creamwinking smiley

Date: February 19, 2013 11:12PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coconut Manna is not raw. So it's way better to
> use your juicer to make the manna yourself..

Oy. Thought so eye rolling smiley There was no indication on the label. I grabbed it in a hurry and forgot to check. Thanks.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 20, 2013 02:07AM

run over it with some huge construction truck
or get one of those demolition ball things
and smash it onto the coconut
those things are a real pain
got better ways to spend my time
then wrestling a stubborn nutcase smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:27AM

i sprouted a coconut this last summer using this guys method [www.youtube.com] then ate the spongey inside .. i think they call it queens candy ..it was pretty cool smiling smiley it took about 5 weeks for me to get a sprout gonna try it again this summer smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 20, 2013 11:17PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> run over it with some huge construction truck
> or get one of those demolition ball things
> and smash it onto the coconut
> those things are a real pain
> got better ways to spend my time
> then wrestling a stubborn nutcase smiling smiley

I did it very easily! smiling smiley I put it in a plastic bag and went outside and slammed it on the concrete! Maybe because it's like 15 degrees outside now, it broke on my first try! smiling smiley The only bummer was that I was unable to get more than a sip of the liquid sad smiley It spilled too quickly. I think I find it tastier than the young coconut water...

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:38AM

Don't remember why, but I did, at one time read that the Young Green Thai Coconuts are best. However, that might have been specifically for the coconut water. Don't remember details, but guess it would be worth looking into.

Mindy

Date: February 21, 2013 04:45PM

Mindy, the fat content is no doubt the reason. I mean, young coconuts are very watery and low in fat and therefore calories.

Here is a comparison of the two types[coconuter.blogspot.com]:

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 07:12AM

Ahh!! I know that when folks make coconut kefir, it is the Young Green Thai Coconuts that are used. Pretty cool stuff!

Mindy

Date: March 06, 2013 09:27PM

To get the liquid out of a mature coco you are supposed to punch two holes in three of the natural divets in one end then drain it out before you smack it open. I bash them on the sidewalk in a bag too, then pry out the meat. Num!

Date: March 06, 2013 09:42PM

coco Wrote:
> To get the liquid out of a mature coco you are
> supposed to punch two holes in three of the
> natural divets in one end then drain it out before
> you smack it open. I bash them on the sidewalk in
> a bag too, then pry out the meat. Num!

What do you do with the meat, Coco? That's what I am trying to figure out. I have been just eating it, but also looking for other ideas...

Date: March 06, 2013 09:46PM

I just eat it. You can grate it into salad, it's nice like that. Or grate it and mix with fruit salad, that's also tasty and an interesting texture. I have processed it thru the omega for that coconut creme that was so decadent. Guess you could whirl it in a food processer and press out some liquid, maybe process it then blend it with water and strain it like when making almond mylk.
The dark brown stuff is edible, just sort of tough and it's a pain in the BUTT to peel it all off.

Date: March 06, 2013 11:05PM

Yeah, I was thinking a milk and also in fruit salad. What I like is that it's not very sweet so it would pair nicely with sweet fruits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables