Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you think these raw food gurus are household names at this point?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 26, 2013 09:36PM

I had an amusing experience this afternoon whilst at Whole Foods. I overheard someone Skyping and she said: "She just loves David Wolfe!" I actually stood there to make sure I heard what I thought I did. And she repeated it. Now it's possible that David Wolfe is her friend's electrician but still...

Now granted, it's a health store so someone mentioning a raw guru is not beyond the pale but I still am surprised that DW or someone like that would be mentioned in passing conversation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you think these raw food gurus are household names at this point?
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: February 26, 2013 09:50PM

Amusing to you maybe, but you've been at this raw food game for a long time. For someone just starting out & knowing nothing about any of these guys, David Wolfe & his teachings might look good to her.

There's also the celebrity worship aspect of these gurus, which I find many raw foodists are into & that is very annoying.

Give her some time, she will come to her senses. (about David Wolfe)

Date: February 26, 2013 09:55PM

??? I take it you're not a fan? I think David Wolfe wrote two helpful and wonderful books: "Eating for Beauty" and "Sunfood Diet Success System." I don't follow his every move these days because the whole "Avocado" as a middle name and serape thing doesn't do it for me. That doesn't mean that I totally chuck out anything he's ever said or written.

Date: February 26, 2013 11:42PM

Yep, I read both of those book plus the "Raw Power" book that he had a hand in creating. Because of recent questionable practices that David promotes, the use of Deer Antler being one of many, I kinda fell off his bandwagon.

I guess what I'm saying is each of these guys/gals generally have something good to offer, but I'm not into following their teachings/recommendations to the "T".

As an aside, I'm not sure it does the Raw food community any credence when overweight/underweight or otherwise out of shape individuals promote this as the "ideal" diet when they surely aren't a model poster child for it.

That's kind of like me taking bodybuilding advice from a skinny guy - what's the point?

BTW, read some of coco's early posts. I have been going back through the archives & I see she actually worked for David, and can tell you some stories about him...

Date: February 26, 2013 11:55PM

Oh yes, I am aware of Coco's history with him. However, before I ever came on this site, I already owned the two books by him I mentioned. My guy and I actually saw him in person do a little talk when his raw cacao book came out. My bf went up and shook his hand.

However, I am the sort of person who can separate the person from his or her products. I might not want to follow them (watch their videos often, for instance, or go on their Web site) but I won't totally denounce them. It's like Natasha, formally of rawradianthealth. She is now consuming meat and eggs and that did not sit well with some people. But how many recipe videos did she put out? Are the naysayers claiming that all of a sudden, she is totally irrelevant in the raw food community? That extreme opinion seems..extreme.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:11AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yes, I am aware of Coco's history with him.
> However, before I ever came on this site, I
> already owned the two books by him I mentioned. My
> guy and I actually saw him in person do a little
> talk when his raw cacao book came out. My bf went
> up and shook his hand.
>
> However, I am the sort of person who can separate
> the person from his or her products. I might not
> want to follow them (watch their videos often, for
> instance, or go on their Web site) but I won't
> totally denounce them. It's like Natasha, formally
> of rawradianthealth. She is now consuming meat and
> eggs and that did not sit well with some people.
> But how many recipe videos did she put out? Are
> the naysayers claiming that all of a sudden, she
> is totally irrelevant in the raw food community?
> That extreme opinion seems..extreme.

I agree about Natasha - Her previous work is good raw/vegan. Apparently she felt the need to begin consuming meat/eggs/etc. because of her b12 & other issues. That's her choice, I personally won't fault her for that if she feels she needs to do that to survive.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 27, 2013 12:19AM

I rather think this person knows about Avocado Dave because of his appearance on that endlessly-looped-on-weekend-mornings infomercial for the Nutribullet[tm] blender system winking smiley

Date: February 27, 2013 12:24AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I rather think this person knows about Avocado
> Dave because of his appearance on that
> endlessly-looped-on-weekend-mornings infomercial
> for the Nutribullet blender system winking smiley

Did Avo Dave do infomericals? OMG, I HAVE to find that! So it wasn't on HSN? I wonder if they have some on Youtube. Hilarious and he's perfect for the job. Has the "voice."

LOL: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 12:27AM by banana who.

Date: February 27, 2013 08:36PM

banana who,

I hate that, as a VitMix owner, I am actually thinking of getting one of these. angry smiley

Date: February 28, 2013 06:43PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> banana who,
>
> I hate that, as a VitMix owner, I am actually
> thinking of getting one of these. angry smiley

How come? I am not sure what I linked is the official sales video because it doesn't actually shows the machine, plus he talks more about super foods than the performance of the machine.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 28, 2013 10:57PM

I like how knowledgeable David Wolfe is about 'superfoods' and how he's researched and marketed them. This may be his website, not sure, but I sure appreciate all the products and information he brings to us --

[www.longevitywarehouse.com]

If you click on the product, you learn what it is and what medicinal properties it has --

Also, I really like Matt Monarch and Angela because of their wonderful website with the fabulous products on sale -

[www.therawfoodworld.com]

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 01, 2013 04:08AM

I'm watching David Wolfe's videos and I love all his products - very interesting --

Date: March 01, 2013 03:13PM

banana who,

The Nutribullet works like a high speed blender except that it has a smaller volume, the blending cup is the inverted drinking cup[as with its parent Magic Bullet system] and is thus slightly easier to clean than my Vitamix. Getting a Nutribullet would really be like getting another, smaller Vitamix--redundant if you already have a Vitamix or a Blendtec.

But the siren call of Avocado Wolfe's louchey Toronto drawl beckons me toward the order page . . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables