Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ate Vegan For First Time - Sick
Posted by: annasymmetric ()
Date: March 03, 2013 03:44PM

Hey everyone. I'm totally a meat-eater, I hope you guys don't hold it against me. I tried to go vegetarian once, and I became very very sick; I'm allergic to (most) fruit, nuts, and lactose intolerant. So when I went vegetarian I could only eat... vegetables. I have to take a ton of vitamin c and that's why I can't take iron supplements (causes the iron to be absorbed too fast and I get iron poisoning, which I have had twice) -- and even when I eat a ton of meat and oatmeal and broccoli and spinach... I am extremely anemic. So I ended up hospitalized after that venture. No fun.

If I could, I would. I just don't want anyone to totally hate me.

Ok. So here is my issue. I have this friend who is vegan and I invited her over and cooked her dinner. I went all over town trying to find vegan ingredients, and I even held back from cooking meat separately so she wouldn't be irritated by the smell. I ate it, and it was totally delicious. I've never had a problem with the taste of it. However, not long after and all night and into this morning, my stomach has been in pain, gassy, and well... I take lots of trips to the toilet.

It's my first time eating all vegan food (like not even real butter or sour cream or cheese or anything) so I'm concerned about it. It's supposed to be healthier, not make me sick. I made a huge deal of eating meat all day so I wouldn't have to deal with the sickness, so is it possible that many people have to get used to vegan food?

Here's the stuff that I made:
Portabello Stroganoff
Vegan Sour Cream
Vegan Butter
*Portabello Mushrooms
*Roasted Garlic
*Soy Sauce
*Balsamic Vinegar
*Dry White Wine
*Onion
*Olive Oil
*Roasted Vegetable Bouillon
*Flour
*Spices

*Stars mark things I eat and have no issue with, as well as cook with all the time.

I'd like to know your thoughts, and your first experiences with all vegan food. Or maybe just with vegan sour cream. That stuff was honestly a little gross until I cooked with it.

-Anna

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ate Vegan For First Time - Sick
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2013 04:54PM

Anna, hello, and no one here is going to hate you because of this post!

How do you tolerate the food you presently eat? Do you have energy and general good health, with good digestion? I ask because if the four ingredients you list are all you are eating, it is an inadequate diet. I assume this is just a summary, and you aren't eating only meat, broccoli, spinach and oatmeal every day!

As far as the meal you prepared for your friend goes[I am a trained cook, and I have to say, well done!]: Allergy to gluten, perhaps, or soy? Many people, when they suddenly have a large intake of fiber; as with switching to a plant based diet overnight, experience a gastric response. Most Americans are constipated[not moving their bowels two to three times a day and largely], and the sudden influx of fiber cause the lower intestine to start clearing out, which can be a shock. I know it was for me upon going vegetarian many years ago, and I thought I was eating enough fiber--whole grain bread and vegetables and salads. On balance, when I started keeping track of it, I saw how wrong I had been: The balance of my days' food volumes was low in both fiber and water, and thus, constipating. Not saying that this is the case with you, but it is something to consider.

IMO, barring an allergy to something in one of the vegan meal's ingredients--and you do seem to have an overactive immune system, by your list of allergens--I would put it down to too much easily digested food too fast.

Hope this helps smiling smiley

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 03, 2013 08:45PM

Hi Anna, Anytime one makes a dietary change to a "lighter/cleaner" diet, the body cleanses/detoxifies. That's what your body did. It even happens to me when I eat 100% raw fruits/veggies and nothing else.

The cleansing is healthy for you provided your body has enough minerals/nutrients to keep it functioning.

I'm anemic, too, but do not eat animal products. My one exception is raw, unheated honey. I found out last year that I had Celiac's disease which was causing the Anemia. I still take iron supplements. Try drinking young coconut water fresh from a young coconut. It will fortify your blood. I've drunk as many as 2-3 in one day when I was severly exhausted from anemia. Also, you could drink Chlorophyll to assist.

I don't eat any soy as it interferes with my hormones. Not sure what the buillon had but many contain MSG which I don't eat, either. I've never tried vegan butter or sour cream. I don't eat many things that are processed.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 04, 2013 03:12AM

If you have Celiac's, how come you used flour (I assume it was to make gravy?)? I mean, I would imagine it was wheat flour, right? Also, didn't you use NOODLES with that stroganoff? winking smileyIf so, obviously wheat was an ingredient. I find vegan fake dairy products to be nasty. I would rather use organic dairy than mess with that processed crap. One brand I am familiar with had hydrogenated oil as an ingredient. Real healthy eye rolling smiley

The boullion cube probably had hydrolyzed yeast (form of MSG) and perhaps even some wheat derivative. It's best to make everything from scratch and use real ingredients.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 03:13AM by banana who.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: March 04, 2013 05:09AM

Eating vegan and eating healthy are not the same. There are many vegan junk food eaters and they are less healthy than healthy eating meat eaters who eat a simple diet predominantly of fruit, vegies, salads and a small amount of meat etc.

Just looking at the mixture of sour cream, butter, oil, soy sauce, vinegar and everything else is enough to make anyone's stomach turn. Try to simplify your eating - and your cooking. You might have been better off using brown rice or beans as a base and less spices, oil, fats and condiments.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 04, 2013 09:55AM

Every different diet induces a different homeostasis (balance). For example, some people have an initial difiulty with fruit metabolism. This is deep in the glands and cells of the body. Your homestasis change would need a slow gradual pace towards healthy foods. It is like shifting the base of your health.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 04, 2013 01:26PM

banana who - it's life101 who has celiac, not Anna.

But I was also going to say - the first thing I would do is to go gluten-free and see if that has an effect on her gastrointestinal problems. Especially because she said she's lactose-intolerant and has trouble digesting fruits. It could all related to gluten.

Anna, the next time your friend comes to visit, make a vegan Mulligatawny Soup -

[www.indiacurry.com]

[www.elizadomestica.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 04, 2013 05:31PM

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> banana who - it's life101 who has celiac, not
> Anna.
>
> But I was also going to say - the first thing I
> would do is to go gluten-free and see if that has
> an effect on her gastrointestinal problems.
> Especially because she said she's
> lactose-intolerant and has trouble digesting
> fruits. It could all related to gluten.
>
> Anna, the next time your friend comes to visit,
> make a vegan Mulligatawny Soup -
>
> [www.indiacurry.com]
> oup.htm
>
> [www.elizadomestica.com]
> es/mulligatawny-indian-soup-recipe

D'oh! That's what happens when I post late at night winking smiley In any case, I was just reading Norman Walker this morning and he stated something very interesting in relation to allergies: he said that it's actually the cleansing effect of the fruit (or whatever) that causes a person to experience hives (he mentions strawberries producing that effect). Now I doubt that would extend to casein in heated cow's milk but I find it very hard to believe that fresh fruits and vegetables should be eschewed in favor of meat. I think if someone has a dramatic reaction to fresh produce it is very possible that they have just added it to their diet and are now experiencing the cleansing effects.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 04, 2013 07:26PM

Banana Who id bet my button that when some individuals experience hives and its good he mentions strawberries here as a problematic food because i was just about to mention salicylate sensitivity, which can cause hives, itchy skin and rashes.

Strawberries are a rich source of Salicylates and like i say sensitivity can cause hives, many have documented this problem with strawberries pinpointed in particular, probably because for Salicylate sensitive individuals its a common rich Salicylates food many have easy access too. All berries are rich in Salicylates, as are many other plant foods.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 07:34PM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables