Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

RAW Grains
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 07, 2013 06:48AM

Raw Grains. I know very little about these.

Do you eat them and do you feel that they are good for us?

I really need to add to my diet. On the days that I eat 100% Raw, I feel very shaky and weak, even though I try to eat alot. Just not getting enough of something??

If eating Raw Grains is a good idea, which grains are good and how do YOU prepare them??

Thanks for your help!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW Grains
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 07, 2013 04:30PM

On you 100% raw days, how much calories are you eating? For many people, the calorie intake is too low as compared to their cooked meals.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 07, 2013 04:34PM

The best source of carbs on raw is fresh ripe fruit. a meal of 7 large bananas or 14 oranges is the equivalent calorie intake of a 2000 calorie a day intake. Most people can't fathom eating that much fruit, when they are used to eating only one piece of fruit.

Date: March 07, 2013 11:00PM

Hi Prana,

I am still def. not getting enough calories. It is hard to, really. The most amt of bananas that I've been able to eat in one sitting is 3. I feel like if I eat anymore, I will...well....throw up.

Just not feeling full for very long eating anything that I am. I'll eat 3 large oranges for first meal, for eg. and then a fresh juice 1/2 or so later. By then, I am trembling (literally) with hunger. Feels like blood sugar is all whacked out.
After the juice, and about an hour later, I'll eat a huge salad. I still am finding myself getting lost after that.

I feel like I am just dying for something more satiating. That is why I've started researching about raw grains.

Remember, too, that bananas used to give me migraines and couldn't eat them at all, however, now, my body is becoming more tolerant to them, although not completely yet.

Do you ever eat any raw grains?? If so, what are they?

Thanks Prana!

Mindy

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:53AM

when I started I did not eat fruit. My favorite food was 'raw bread' You can make it with a dehydrator (red bell pepper, sweet corn, and flax seeds). It takes hours to make and fills the whole house with bakery smell. There are many 'gourme' things to eat raw. They are a little high in fat but that's OK. Many books out there.

You could try raw oats. The night before you put them in a bowl with some keffir and water. Transition foods help. And you can also eat cook food if nothing else is available. That is much healthier than no food.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:36AM

Definitely love being grain-free and high-fruit. If you need something more satiating, eat more seeds and nuts, IMO (assuming you won't eat more sweet fruits).

Date: March 09, 2013 12:58AM

Panchito,

I would like to learn more about transitional foods because I am still really really struggling.

I'd prefer them to be raw and not cooked, though. You mentioned oats. I'll look online or YouTube for a recipe. Thank you VERY much for the idea. I am pretty desperate for ideas right now. Had someone recommend buckwheat groats too.

I appreciate your help!

Mindy

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 09, 2013 02:16PM

Hi Mindy.

Transitioning to me means like 'half way.' It is better to be half way than to be 100% but for very little time. What happens is that the mind cannot deny the needs of the body and eventually the plan fails if it does not deliver what the body needs. If you accept half way then the plan is more flexible. you could be half way on one meal a day or a couple days a week. Your body needs calories first. You need to get it used to that so that it does not create hormones that make your body go in starvation (hibernation) mode. In your case I would add supplements that garantee the success of the possible weaknesses that are hard to figure out. The ones I would add are:

b12
d3
iodine/iodide

Add exercise (walking), sleep (+8 hours), water (+ 3 liters a day).

you can get transitioning foods from high fat raw food books (amazon), websites etc. At first it takes 3 times as much effort as you are changing and adjusting to new habits. Then you will gradually fall into fruits and vegetables.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:31PM

Storm and Panchito,

Thank you for helping me!

Panchito, when you say iodine/iodide, what does that mean?? Combined?

Do you know of a good, non toxic B12 supplement? Same with D3?

Still trying to learn what grains I can eat raw and exactly, step by step, how to soak and sprout and then prepare them. It's all new to me.

Thanks again you guys!

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables