Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

kifer
Posted by: juicemaker ()
Date: March 07, 2013 03:23PM

Looking for people who have tried kefir,and would like to talk about there experience

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kifer
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 07, 2013 03:58PM

I tried this weekend Tula's Cocoyo, a raw, nonpasteurized yogurt made from the meat of a young coco. I enjoyed the taste, and what an excellent raw vegan alternative to yogurt.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 07, 2013 10:53PM

I just started on Kefir about a week and a half ago. I am very blessed to have a vendor at our Farmer's Mkt who sells fresh Raw, Organic Kefir. It reminds me alot of buttermilk in thickness and flavor, although smoother than buttermilk. I, personally, don't mind buttermilk at all, so it's not a problem for me to just drink it straight, however you can put it in smoothies or use it as a base for a creamy salad dressing, which I just did for the first time today. It ware really good! Buy or make in small amounts, would be my advice, as it becomes more sour as the days go by.

I know that you can make kefir from young green Thai coconuts which is supposed to be as good or better for you than dairy kefir.

Mindy

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2013 11:41PM

Mindy,

You can make kefir with just water, I hear; haven't gotten around to ordering the kefir starter for this, yet, shame on me!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 08, 2013 03:09AM

mindy, this is a raw vegan forum, and you can't be talking about animal products you are eating, unless you are asking for ways to substitute something raw vegan for your particular animal product you have in mind.

Also, juicemaker, if you were asking about dairy kefir, this is not the place to discuss animal products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 03:10AM by Prana.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 08, 2013 08:41AM

So, I'm not even allowed to say that it "tastes" like _________?

Guess I didn't realize that if that is the case.

Mindy

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:55AM

Kefir is good, one of my favorite fermented foods as its generally easy to put over and has really helped support my digestion.

I also drink a small glass of live, unpasteurized Kombucha with my main meals. Kombucha's natural acidity and beneficial bacteria means that it can be helpful to those with low stomach acid and other digestive issues(candida etc).

Although i still feel fermented foods are most effective first thing in the morning and last thing before bed, which is when stomach acid levels are lowest, allowing the beneficial bacteria more chances of survival. Always wise to brush and/or swish your mouth with water after fermented foods to ensure they don't harm the enamel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 09:56AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:55AM

this kefir is made with juice

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 13, 2013 05:28PM

kefir (and kombucha) are my 2 favourite things at the moment, I make gallons of the stuff tongue sticking out smiley it's like fizzy pop (soda to Americans!) and once it's done you can flavour it however you want, with any type of fresh or frozen fruit. It's fantastic! If you're on Facebook there's a good support group, it's called 'I love water kefir', you can get lots of different recipes and advice there.
My breakfast these days is usually a glass of kombucha mixed with a little ACV and some kind of herbal tea that I've made previously. I have kefir in the evening - I often brew it with hops, elderflower and valerian to help me sleep.. tastes like beer grinning smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 13, 2013 06:48PM

But Lisa, due to its alcoholic content, I would be afraid that I'd be imbibing every day. I don't drink, I should add.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: March 16, 2013 12:34AM

mindy66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just started on Kefir about a week and a half
> ago. I am very blessed to have a vendor at our
> Farmer's Mkt who sells fresh Raw, Organic Kefir.
> It reminds me alot of buttermilk in thickness and
> flavor, although smoother than buttermilk. I,
> personally, don't mind buttermilk at all, so it's
> not a problem for me to just drink it straight,
> however you can put it in smoothies or use it as a
> base for a creamy salad dressing, which I just did
> for the first time today. It ware really good! Buy
> or make in small amounts, would be my advice, as
> it becomes more sour as the days go by.
>
> I know that you can make kefir from young green
> Thai coconuts which is supposed to be as good or
> better for you than dairy kefir.

Not only are we not supposed to talk about animal products, someone will definately get sick from eating this if not produced to the highest standards. This is not good for sick people, you don't know if you can trust your sources. If you like to gamble use it, if not don't. Some of the top producers of this have had people get sick and some were shut down. WFM used to sell raw milk "For pet consumsion only" someone got sick, now they don't sell it! Probably got sued! Have a slappy day!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 16, 2013 05:51PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But Lisa, due to its alcoholic content, I would be
> afraid that I'd be imbibing every day. I don't
> drink, I should add.

The alcohol content per the amount consumed is so small that i wouldn't worry about it, unless you have liver disease or a past alcoholic. Fermented foods are usually consumed in small amounts i.e a glass a day or a tablespoon or two of raw sauerkraut etc.

The alcohol content from such small portions is negligible.

Sounds tasty Lisa smiling smiley, i love fermented foods. We do a raw, live Kombucha now instock at our store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 05:51PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 20, 2013 02:56PM

Yes banana who, like powerlifer said, it's a tiny amount of alcohol. I don't drink alcohol as a rule, so I think I'd notice if it was alcoholic. (well, sometimes I ferment it for a bit longer and notice a little buzz off it.. lol.. but I generally drink it at home in the evenings, so it's fine)

Hi Powerlifer, yes it tastes amazing, great to see you're selling kombucha now! I love kombucha, just had a very nice pineapple and ginger one smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables