Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food in a cold climate?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 06, 2006 06:25PM

I live in NYC and it was March when I first started the raw diet - I was eating lots of fats, greens, nuts -- then as the weather got warmer I lost my taste for nuts & fats and was eating just a lot of mono-meals of fruits and vegetables -- but now I notice that with the weather getting colder I'm eating more fats and nuts more...... is this normal?? Why can't I just eat my simple mono-meals anymore? Am I going to gain weight if I keep eating like this?

I guess it's not a bad thing it's just annoying to have to pre-plan meals again. Also I'm wondering if raw foodists gain weight in the winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 06:28PM by sunshine79.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food in a cold climate?
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: November 07, 2006 01:21AM

Hi
I live in Toronto
BRRR>>....

In the summer I LOVEd the fruit - watermelon days!!!

Now I also crave fats - avo, nuts, worse of all I crave the nuts with DATES!!!

Yes I have gained about 8 pounds!!

I will watch this post to see the advice given...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 07, 2006 02:14AM

It's healthy and prefectly natural to gain weight for the winter. I believe it's a sign that your lifestyle and natural eating habbits have resulted in your body being in tune with it's environment. Once it starts to warm up your summer eating habbits will return and your weight will return to it's normal summer level.

I find that even just spending a week in another climate and my body will physically adjust to that environment. If spend time in a cold climate I tend to put on a little weight, or if I'm out camping in a hot desert I'll loose a little fat.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 07, 2006 02:17AM

I lose weight in the winter time, and gain weight in the summer time..

I think my metabolism speeds up in the winter time to keep me warm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 05:51AM by admin.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 07, 2006 03:42AM

Oh wow, i've been having a problem which relates to this topic. I live in Pa and since it has become colder my body temp. has decreased. My toes and fingeres were really cold and I felt it took me a really long time to warm up when I entered a building. Also, the cold felt unbearable. Recently I have resorted to eating cooked brown rice which has alievated the problem but obviously has drawbacks as well. Should I be eating more nuts in the winter as a raw alternative to rice? I have heard that too many nuts are hard to digest. Also, which foods keep you warm in the winter? I have tried ginger and walnuts thus far.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 07, 2006 05:11AM

Hey 75%guy, why not give it a try and report back.

Ginger is good because it helps the blood circulation, and good blood circulation is key to keeping toes and fingers warm.

I kind of see winter time as the natural time to eat the things that keep for a long time. Like nuts and dried fruits, also fermented veggies and such, when most of our locally produced summer produce isn't avaliable.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 07, 2006 08:13PM

75%, what are those drawbacks of consuming cooked brown rice that you experienced?

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: November 08, 2006 02:00AM

When you've been raw for a certain amount of time your adrenals will heal, making you less sensitive to cold weather. Eating cooked food in the winter will just prolong the problem.

Date: November 08, 2006 03:11AM

Some of the drawbacks I have felt after eating brown rice are tiredness and my acne has began to return as well as muscle soreness after I work out, but what's nice about it is that I feel more filled, i'm warm and I can sleep more deeply.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 08, 2006 04:57AM

Last year I moved to a cooler (not cold, no snowy winters here) climate . But I still prefer my fruit. Unfortunately, the produce is more expensive here and I have to limit myself (not my kids) to those that I can afford. Now, it is oranges, apples, and pears. If I could, I would eat all the tropical fruit that there is out there. I feel best on fruit!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: ela ()
Date: November 08, 2006 05:52AM

It seems to be the experience of many people that when first going raw they feel the cold _bitterly_ and intensely, but that after some time on raw they find themselves not quite so sensitive.

I was always a very cold person even before going raw. For my first couple of years raw I was _freezing_ - and worse, when I was cold like that I had no energy and didn't want to do anything at all. For much of this time I was also at a very low weight, which probably didn't help.

Nowadays, I notice that I still feel the cold more than heavier people but I feel it _much_ less than I used to and, even better, when I'm cold I usually want to jump up and down, move, do things, rather than curl up in a ball and die like I used to!

Just my experience - hope it helps!
love
Ela

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 08, 2006 08:02PM

Ok if you feel cold in the winter - raw or not raw - take flax seed oil. It makes you impervious to cold.

I've used it for years - not only did I have awful dry skin that itched in the winter, I was always unbearably cold.

It makes your skin soft & keeps you warm.

Date: November 09, 2006 04:21AM

Does plain flax seed work? I have been taking that, about 2-3 tbs. per day.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 09, 2006 01:10PM

75%guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does plain flax seed work? I have been taking
> that, about 2-3 tbs. per day.

If you swallow the seeds whole, they will pass through your body without being digested (they have a useful cleansing function if you do this, but you will not gain any nutrition from them).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 29, 2006 05:34AM

Dream earth,
Wow, I am sorry I didn't notice this post earlier. I asked a similiar question about keeping warm. Does cooked food damage the adrenals? I had no idea. In chinese medicine they say that raw foods are difficult to digest and are cold. I think its interesting that someone suggested ginger. I will have to try that.

I have to admit that I have been eating cooked stuff today, not knowing about the 'adrenals' thing. Is it better to heal the body in the summer? I don't want to be too uncomfortable, so I don't know how much raw healing I will be able to do until it gets warmer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables