Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hummus
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 06, 2006 09:33PM

Is there any ways to make raw hummus? It's one of my favorite foods!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hummus
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: November 06, 2006 10:04PM

Yup!! On this site - go to recipes - go to Dressings and Sauces and you will find a recipe for no bean hummus. It's made with zucchini. Also, you can use the exact recipe, only substitute 2 cups of sprouted chickpeas for the zucchini.There's a little bit of a trick to using the chickpeas. They should only be sprouted for one day - tiny, tiny little tails. Then, put them in a food processor and twirl them around for a little bit and get them broken up. Rinse them in a collender till the water becomes clear and then go on with the recipe. This keeps them from being super bitter and icky. Good luck!

Life Is Good! Tastes good too!

alive!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 06, 2006 11:16PM

Hey Alive!,

thanks for the sprouted chickpea tip, I'll try that soon. I normally use fresh chickpeas when making hummus (and other chickpea things), these are not bitter at all.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 07, 2006 10:15AM

Where do you get your fresh chickpeas?

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 07, 2006 05:35PM

I get them in farmers markets in California around spring and summer, they come both loose and pre-packaged. Hispanic, middle-eastern and indian markets/shops may also be a good place to look. You want to buy the ones with the greenist shell, as the shell get paler, the bean gets more starchy and a little bitter (not as much as sprouted chickpeas however).

Ian.

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: November 09, 2006 01:59PM

alive!:

just wanted to say THANK YOU for the chickpea tip. i've been trying and trying to get rid of and/or mask the bitter sprouted chickpea taste and nothing worked. your tip did the trick though. very, very neat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables