Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

To: Prana and other folks who like Herbert Shelton's writings
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 19, 2013 09:37PM

Hi all,

Now bear with me as I am new and still on a very large learning curve.

How is it that so many of you like Herbert Shelton so much and base so much of your lifestyle on his writings when he died too young and was very ill the last 15 yrs of his life?

Thanks.

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To: Prana and other folks who like Herbert Shelton's writings
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 19, 2013 11:12PM

Shelton died because he didn't follow his own advice, that is, don't get enervated, don't wear yourself out, don't live a stressful life, and get plenty of rest and sleep.

So because he didn't follow this own advice, does this mean the advice is incorrect? What do you think Mindy?

For myself, I feel the best when I am sleeping 8 or more hours a night. However, I find that I often am only sleeping 4 to 6 hours, for long stretches of time. Why don't I follow the practices that work best for me, in terms of how I feel and my health? Could it be that some of our habits are hard to let go of, and we need to still get our lessons around unhealthful habits.

Shelton was passionate about his work. He was on a crusades of sorts, seeing the damage the medical system does to the people that participate in it. He was in some sense too compassionate, as this desire to help people and alleviate their suffering created his own suffering that could have been avoided if he slept more, rested more, removed stress from his life, and gave more of his time to himself rather than to others.

Date: March 20, 2013 12:41AM

Ah. I hadn't read that yet. Makes sense. I know of a guy who was all raw did lots of juicing, etc. and is a huge health advocate, however, because he, too, spent too much time and energy teaching and was diagnosed with Colon Cancer (I believe it was). He beat the cancer years ago and has apparently taken heed to his body's warnings.

I am beginning to see that while what we eat is absolutely critical, stress or the lack of stress may be even more crucial.

That is something for me to work on for sure!

Did Herbert Shelton admit these things?? Might you have a link where I can read up on this.

In the meantime, I will do some "googling" of my own.

Thanks for responding!

Mindy

Date: March 20, 2013 01:11AM

Check out this short Shelton bio.

Date: March 20, 2013 09:53PM

Wow. Though not such a "short" bio, his life was very interesting!! A passionate man for sure!

Because I am a "Thomas" at heart, I like to ask lots of questions and like to probe in order to learn so please don't take my questions as rude, but as genuinely curious and as seeking type questions.

Sooo, here is one of those questions.

Though I "get" the fact that his health took a dive and then deteriorated over many years likely because of him not abiding by his own priniciples which was getting rest, do any of you here know of anyone who was a Natural Hygeinist who lived a LONG and HEALTHY life or someone who is quite aged and still living now? I ask these things because I am investigating and want to learn.

Thanks all,

Mindy

Date: March 21, 2013 12:06AM

Here's a picture of Dr Vivian Vetrano when she was 83, and her daughter at 60, both hygienists, 3 years ago.

Dr Vetrano started her hygienic life in 1948, when she fasted with Shelton. At the time, she was a dancer, who then became a chiropractor and author and natural hygiene educator. She was Shelton's protege and she worked with T.C. Fry.

Date: March 21, 2013 12:12AM

Mindy, I don't recommend that you take anyone's word at the value of the natural hygiene teachings, but rather to try them for yourself and see if they work for you. Natural Hygiene may not work for you. For me, by and large, the theories of disease and health match my experience. But I do not follow the teachings religiously (if I did, I would sleep at least 8 hours every night, which I assure you I rarely do), I take what works for me, and the stuff that doesn't work I leave behind.

Date: March 21, 2013 02:21AM

Thank you Prana for your sound advice. Those women look amazing!! I can't believe at the age of 83 what a hot little mama Dr. Vetrano is. Inspiring!

Mindy

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:38AM

here's another one Mindy. Google John Fielder. He's almost 80 and a still practicing naturopath. He has his own organic property in Tropical Northern Queensland, Australia.

Date: March 22, 2013 06:08AM

Thanks BJ!

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables