Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Safe Cleaners
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:54PM

Hi All,

Would love some recommendations of some safe cleaners.

For eg., what do you use for...:

Laundry Detergent

Toothpaste

Toilet Cleaner

Shower Cleaner

Deodorant (I know this one isn't a cleaner, but wondering about it)

Window cleaner

What do you use to scrub with instead of Comet

Shampoo

Conditioner

Eye Makeup Remover

Safe Makeup Brand(s)

Bar Soap / Body Soap

Hand Soap

I know that this is a long list, but I need ta know. smiling smiley

Thanks guys and gals!

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Safe Cleaners
Date: March 22, 2013 10:20PM

Oh yes. Also

Dishwasher Detergent (for washing dishes in Dishwasher)

Dishwashing Liquid (for handwashing dishes)

Mindy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2013 07:00PM

Laundry Detergent Tutorial [www.flickr.com]

Toothpowder recipe [www.craftster.org]

Toilet Cleaner, shower cleaner, scrub: Baking soda and a splash of Dr Bronner liquid castile tea tree or peppermint soap for disinfecting with one of those green scrubby cloths for counters and surfaces.
You can use plain unscented castile and add some theives oil blend (Equal amounts of eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, clove and lemon).

Deodorant recipe [www.craftster.org]

Window cleaner white vinegar with newspaper or you can use dish soap and water with a squeege (this is what professionals use).

Shampoo depends on your hair, some people use the "no-poo" method which is massaging a paste of baking soda and water onto the scalp, rinse and follow with a dillution of apple cider vinegar and water to get rid of residue and rebalance ph.

Conditioner again depends on your hair. If it's dry a small amount of coconut oil or a dillution of glycerin and water sprayed can work.

Eye Makeup Remover coconut oil. Works great and is very nourishing. I just wash my whole face including eyes with soap and apply a little castor oil to lashes and lids for conditioning and strengthening.

Safe Makeup Brand(s)

Bar Soap / Body Soap I use Dr Bronner's unscented castile or a plain glycerin bar or natural hand made soap that you can find at health food stores and specialty shops.

Hand Soap Dr Bronners liquid castile diluted with water and put into a bottle that makes it foam up when it's pumped out.

Dishwasher Detergent, Dishwashing Liquid I haven't found a recipe that works yet but if you google this there are lots of them online to try out.

Date: March 23, 2013 09:52PM

Fabulous Coco!

Thank you so very much!!

What do you mean by the "no-poo" method?

Dr. Bronner's is so expensive, however, I like your idea very much about the foam up bottle to make it last longer. Great idea!

What a great amount of help you've given!

Thanks for taking the time!

Mindy

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:21PM

Yep it's amazing how various combination of baking soda, vinegar, coconut oil and essential oils can pretty much cover all toiletry and house-cleaning needs!

I love to save up any citrus peels and fill up a jar, then fill that jar with distilled vinegar, then leave it for a couple of weeks, then strain it, you end up with a lovely smelling liquid that you can put in a spray bottle (dilute it around 50:50 with water) , use for cleaning surfaces etc. Vinegar is good for washing dishes too, just a splash in your washing up water and you're good to go.

no-poo means no shampoo.

Date: March 25, 2013 04:47AM

Will have to try the orange peel thing. I eat a minimum of 4 a day so have plenty peels to use. Thanks for the tip!

no-poo means no shampoo?? You mean there are people who choose not to clean their hair?? Ewww....

Mindy

Date: March 29, 2013 09:28PM

It is not the decision to not clean one's hair, it is cleaning without soap. Some use a paste of baking soda and water on the scalp and follow with a finishing rinse of apple cider vinegar to clean away any residue and rebalance ph. The rinse is good for skin as well, just be sure to dillute the vinegar and rinse with water afterwards if you don't like the smell.

Date: March 29, 2013 11:53PM

Ahh. ok.

Thx

Mindy

Date: March 30, 2013 01:40PM

Our lovely Auntie gave me a sweet little book for Easter today, it's called Lavender, Parsley, Peppermint and Sage by Shea Zukowski that is entirely herbal recipes for body and home. There are a couple of recipes that call for powdered milk or honey but most do not. It's wonderful actually, highly recommended.

Date: March 30, 2013 11:26PM

How awesome!

Happy and Blessed Easter to you!

Mindy

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: April 01, 2013 07:00PM

White vinegar is my main household cleanser.

I've used Dr. Bronner's for shower & hand soap, laundry, brushing teeth, dishwashing liquid, etc. Occasionally as shampoo too. It's not expensive if you buy it online rather that pay full retail. Plus diluting it with water since it's concentrated.

I do the conditioner method for hair. There's plenty of websites that mention it. I prefer to use natural conditioners. I wrote a description about it & skincare here: PersonalCare

For most personal care, I tend to buy from small online companies that have high quality, natural products.

Monave.com is my favorite for makeup.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 07:04PM by GilmoreGirl.

Date: April 02, 2013 02:21AM

Thanks GG!!

Will check the makeup out.

Do you happen to know of the cheapest place to get Dr. Bronner's??

Wish there was something similar that was/is less expensive.

Mindy

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: April 02, 2013 03:50PM

Actually I forgot to mention Dr. Woods is an alternative to Bronner's. Vitacost, iherb & a few others offer discounts as well. I'll often get supplements & other products through them.

Sent you a PM with extra discount codes.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables