Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

soaking and dehydrating nuts and seeds
Posted by: halfinlove ()
Date: March 27, 2013 03:00AM

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and raw foods and I've been reading a lot about how you should soak and dehydrate nuts and seeds and grains because otherwise they are not good for digesting and harmful to your health. Is this absolutely necessary? Do a lot of people here do it? I honestly don't think I'd have the time/energy to worry about that right now... Is taking enzymes enough to aid in digesting them properly? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.. thank you! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: soaking and dehydrating nuts and seeds
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: March 27, 2013 03:14AM

I don't believe in dehydrating nuts but they should be soaked for the appropriate time. Soaking nuts is very easy. No, enzymes are not enough and are too expensive in my opinion. Soaking nuts takes less time than cooking meat! If you soak enough for the day then it is very time efficient!

Date: March 27, 2013 03:18AM

So do I just put the nuts/seeds in a bowl of water over night and then let them dry on a paper towel or something and then I can eat them on salads or whatever I choose?

Date: March 27, 2013 03:28AM

Soak, rinse then store in fridge in water or dry. They don't have to be real dry just drain them. You can put them on your salad in a tupperware bowel and take to work, simple. It really helps to have high quality nuts but do what you can that's just how it is. I have had the pleasure to eat some really good nuts over the years! but not so much these days. Some are still good though.

Date: March 27, 2013 03:34AM

oh ok thanks so much! they should be sprouted when done soaking, right?

Date: March 27, 2013 08:53PM

halfinlove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh ok thanks so much! they should be sprouted when
> done soaking, right?

No they do not have to be sprouted!

Date: March 27, 2013 09:20PM

do they get bigger? i tried soaking some last night and the cashews turned a different color but nothing really happened with the other nuts, is that normal? in the videos i've seen about soaking nuts they're apparently supposed to grow bigger in size. i put some salt in the wwater bc i read that's what you should do. does this only work if the nut is truly raw and not pasturized or anything?

Date: March 27, 2013 11:47PM

Yes they will get a little bigger not much though. The nuts should be raw, pasturized is ok but not roasted. I don't use salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables