Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Menopause??
Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: March 30, 2013 06:47PM

I have been Peri-menopausal for many years now and believe that I have finally entered true menopause over the past week or two.

Typically a woman knows that she has gone from being peri-meno to menopausal when her periods have been absent for one full year. In my case, however, I had an ablation procedure that stopped my bleeding for me, therefore I do not have that to use as my gauge. For about 2 weeks now, I have been having hot flashes like never before and have been very depressed. Even having acne at age 46. So weird.

Anyhow, I am wondering if there are any of you here who are raw and have been through or are going through menopause?? Are there any special foods or herbs that have been helpful to you. I just read that the hot flashes will be gone in approx. 5 years. I yelled out loud, "FIVE YEARS??!!" when I read this. Guess I'm just wondering if this depression thing is supposed to last that long too. Article didn't say. I am already on prescription drugs for depression and have been planning on working towards getting completely off of them, but now I am just unsure as to what to do.

This depression thing is really effecting my life, relationships, etc. ALOT!

Help!

Thanks

Mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Menopause??
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 30, 2013 06:54PM

I had to look up ablation. Never heard that word before. What exactly did you have done, if you don't mind? Is that when the hot flashes began? You're not high-raw, are you?

I am 47, have not had hot flashes per se (although recently woke up feeling hot...Not sure if that's related but it's not unbearable).

Curious: regarding the meds, if you are still experiencing depression, how have they worked?

I think chasteberry (vitex) is a great balancing herb for women. Maca might be of help.

Date: March 30, 2013 11:21PM

Had this done over a year ago. An ablation is when the physician goes in and cauterizes the tissue in the endometrial lining. If I had to do it all over again, I would not. But I was freaked out at the time since I just would not stop bleeding.

Some of the less intense, more infrequent, hot flashes started even before the ablation. I have been having Peri-menopause symptoms including the fluctuation of hormones for about 3 or 4 yrs now. Then all of a sudden here in the past 2 wks or so, I just started having these hot flashes a few times per day, instead of a few times per month. They are hotter, last longer and are just more intense in nature. Don't know if this is typical or not, but have noticed that if I get stressed, it can bring a hot flash on. They are very uncomfortable. Along with them, I get lightheaded and my heart kind of races a bit.
In addition to this, as I mentioned above, I have had very noticeable depression and acne and cramps. Ugghh to it all!

On my non-migraine days, I am high raw. On migraine days, I eat whatever as I am pretty sick.

Very unfortunately, I have been on my meds for around 20 yrs or maybe more now, so it's not just a simple matter of going off of them. Sooo wish so.
I've tried a couple of times (many yrs ago) and did NOT have good results at all. I plummeted back down into depression. Apparently anti-depressants are a bit of an evil animal to deal with as far as going off of them is concerned. Though they have controlled my depression to a large degree for many years, they don't seem to be working well at the moment, however, I have a good feeling that if I were to go off of them right now without a serious fast, I would plummet into never never land.

With all of my ugly health issues and meds...I have just about determined that the only way that I am going to be able to get off of my meds is to do a very long juice fast. Somewhere in the range of a 30-60 day fast.

I have been trying to figure out how though since it would cost a fortune to do so. Sooo.... I have been planting a garden. I figured that in about 2-3 months, I should have alot of produce in my own backyard and won't have to buy so much this way and THEN, perhaps, I could swing it. Just don't know for certain just yet. Need to do quite a bit more reading up on it.

Have been planning on this (at least in the back of my mind) for a while now and then BOOM, this whole menopause thing hits.

If it wasn't already a huge challenge already. The depression makes it very difficult to find the motivation to do much of anything, but I try to keep pushing myself.

I'm sorry if I sound really negative right now. Am just being honest and forthright.

I look so forward to the day when I can come here with great reports and also when I can come here and be of help to others. One day!

I will look into the chasteberry and maca and see what info I can dig up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mindy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 11:25PM by mindy66.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: March 31, 2013 12:26AM

Wild Yam/ Black Cohosh are the typical "Non-drug" or synthetic hormone route that many females choose. My wife recently started on a regimen of Wild Yam/ Black Cohosh as she has been experiencing similar symptoms as you mentioned, particularly the hot flashes.

Here is the particular supplement she is taking -

[tinyurl.com]

You would have to ask your Dr. about the prescription drug interaction of the herbs, to be safe. Knowing most Drs, they will probably not like the idea of you taking it & want to suggest some drug instead.

BTW, there are herbal alternatives to depression drugs, too.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 31, 2013 02:06AM

Mindy,

soymilk, flaxseed, and cruciferous vegetables are all great foods that help metabolize extra estrogen that may cause hot flashes. My wife, 49, was suffering horribly from night sweats and hot flashes and could not sleep. While the foods I mention helped, they did not help enough for her to sleep regularly. On advice from a friend, we bought Estrovera from Metagenics. The science looked sound. Her hot flashes and night sweats stopped literally overnight. It's supposed to take two to three weeks to see maximum effect. Fortunately, we did not need to wait that long. It's from a Siberian rhubarb plant (ERr 731) that I don't know much about. But the science seemed pretty good. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov][www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] I didn't know about the Black Cohosh and Yam. Interesting.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2013 02:08AM by pborst.

Date: March 31, 2013 05:35AM

vj - Thank you. I have heard of the wild yam and even used it many years ago when my periods were out of control, pain wise. I have heard the word Black Cohosh but that is far as my knowledge of it goes. Will have to look further into it.

I wasn't sure if using herbs, when a raw foodist (or an aspiring one currently since I am only partially raw thus far) is encouraged or frowned upon.

Paul - Unfortunately I cannot use soymilk or cruciferous veggies. I am hypothyroid. However, I think that flax should be fine. I will read up more on that.

Have got alot of things to look up here in the next few days.

Thanks so much for your feedback you all,

Mindy

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 01, 2013 04:36PM

Hi Mindy,

Most of my students are women in their mid-fifties and quite a few of them have started ovulating again while they were on their Juice Fast/Feast. Something else I hear quite frequently from women while on a Juice Cleanse is that they started their period and was surprised because they didn’t have all of those warning signs just days before. As far as all of the symptoms that come with Menopause, this is what Dr. John R. Lee has to say about it, “The unpleasant symptoms of menopause...are peculiar to Western industrialized cultures and, as far as I can tell, they are virtually unknown in the Far East and third-world countries.”

I highly recommend Dr. John R. Lee’s book, “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause” and I’ll include my File Preview below followed by my notes from my Progesterone Cream file.

John R. Lee, M.D.

…File Preview…
• ...unopposed estrogen (estrogen replacement without progesterone)...
• ...this deterioration is not universal with all women.
• The unpleasant symptoms of menopause...are peculiar to Western industrialized cultures and, as far as I can tell, they are virtually unknown in the Far East and third-world countries.
• Cholesterol, the basic building block for the steroid hormones, give them all a similar structure. ... Switch a few atoms around and the role of the hormone can change dramatically. Without sufficient cholesterol, we can’t make sufficient steroid hormones.
• Then there is a large population of women in their midthirties and on up suffering from the symptoms of estrogen dominance brought on by a sedentary lifestyle, a poor diet, birth control pills, HRT, and exposure to environmental estrogens. Many of these women can find relief simply through exercise and a good diet. Others can solve their problems with a few herbs, vitamins, and mineral supplements. Most of the rest find relief by using a natural progesterone cream.
• ...there is no estrogen named estrogen. There are estrogens named estrone, estradiol, and estriol. ...each type of estrogen has different function in the body.
• There are four types of estrogens:
1) Estrogen produced by the body
2) Phytoestrogens - plant compounds with estrogen-like activity.
3) Xenoestrogens - environmental compounds (usually petrochemical) with estrogen-like activity and are very toxic.
4) Synthetic estrogens made by the pharmaceutical companies, e.g. DES, diethylstilbestrol.
• Throughout this book I will be referring repeatedly to xenobiotics or xenoestrogens, foreign substances originating outside the body that have hormone-like and estrogen-like activity in the body, and thus a profound impact on hormone balance. I will use the term “xenobiotics” as a generic reference to substances with a hormone-like effect on the body and “xenoestrogens” to specifically describe those with an estrogenic effect on the body.
• Nearly all xenobiotics (xenoestrogens) are petrochemical based, ...
• Such chemicals are now referred to as “xenobiotics.” The majority of xenobiotics mimic the action of estrogen, thus the common use of the term xenoestrogen.
• Progestrins and xenoestrogens occupy the receptor and block the natural hormone from doing its work.
• Xenoestrogens ...are fat-soluble and nonbiodegradeable.
• The major source of oral intake of xenoestrogens is by way of animal fats, particularly red meat and dairy fats. In addition to the fact that these animals are often given estrogenic substances to fatten them up for market, they are also exposed when they eat grains that have been sprayed with pesticides. The xenoestrogens accumulate in their fat. ...Anyone who eats meat and dairy products is eating these compounds and they are all potent estrogens. They accumulate in our fatty tissues (breast, brain, and liver) and cause estrogen dominance, with all of its attendant symptoms.
• Remember, the prevailing myth in mainstream medicine is that menopause is an estrogen deficiency disease, but estrogen levels drop only 40 to 60 percent at menopause, while progesterone levels can drop to nearly zero.
• Progesterone has an opposing, or balancing, effect on estrogen. When progesterone levels drop to near zero, we have estrogen dominance, which causes a long list of unpleasant symptoms. Estrogen dominance does not necessarily mean a woman has too much estrogen; it simply means that estrogen levels are relatively higher than progesterone, creating a hormonal imbalance with its attendant estrogenic side effects.
• The vast majority of menopausal problems can be avoided by good nutrition, avoidance of toxins, regular exercise, and the proper supplementation when indicated for hormone balance, of real, honest-to-God, natural progesterone.
• When I attempted to correct their estrogen dominance by adding progesterone, it was common to see that their need for thyroid supplements decreased and could often be successfully eliminated. Thus I became aware that estrogen, progesterone, and thyroid hormones are interrelated.
• When their hormones were balanced, meaning progesterone deficiency was adequately treated, not only did their estrogen dominance symptoms decrease or disappear but so did their presumed hypothyroidism!
• The more important factor in osteoporosis is the lack of progesterone, which causes a decrease in new bone formation. Adding progesterone will actively increase bone mass and density and can reverse osteoporosis.
• Osteoporosis is not only due to excessive bone loss from eating an acid forming diet of meat, dairy, grains, coffee and alcohol, but it also from a lack of new bone formation due to a lack of progesterone and exercise.
…End of File Preview…

Complications Regarding Progesterone Cream

…File Preview…
• Progesterone cream has been one of the most important supplements I have ever used in my practice.
• ...if one uses too much of the hormone cream, complications can develop in disruption in one’s hormone balance.
• Dr. Lee is fond of using the lower dose creams to avoid this. But this complication can still occur with the low-dose creams. I always attempt to provide the most cost effective solution in my practice so I use prescription strength 10% cream.
• However, if one uses more than 1/16 of a teaspoon, complications appear to be inevitable.
• The problem relates to the fact that progesterone is highly fat soluble and once applied to the skin will store itself in a woman’s fat tissue. When one first uses the cream, there is no problem here as the fat stores are very low. But as time goes on, the cream accumulates and contributes to disruptions in the adrenal hormones such as DHEA, cortisol, and testosterone.
• I have also learned that it is FAR MORE IMPORTANT to work to normalize the adrenal hormones first. Once the adrenal hormones are balanced, the progesterone levels will frequently normalize and one will not require any cream.
• The balancing process involves lifestyle changes first. ...Secondly, one needs to get to bed by 10 PM. ...If one is routinely going to bed after 10, then one’s biorhythms will be disrupted. Addressing emotional stress in one’s life is the other huge component. ...Journaling is one of the better and least expensive ones, ...
• Once the lifestyle issues are addressed, then one would ideally evaluate the adrenal and female hormones. One of the better ways to do this is though measuring salivary hormone concentrations. I had been using Aeron Labs, and they do good work.
• Once the results are in, the hormonal manipulation generally involves using sublingual hormones such as DHEA and pregnenolone or cortisol improving agents such as licorice root extract.
• ...many of the women who were on the cream have terribly elevated levels of this hormone. This is not good. Progesterone is normally a cyclical hormone and the body really needs to see a change in the concentration to affect a proper physiological response. If the level is constantly above the concentration that it recognizes as "off" or low, this is not possible.
• If you are a health care professional and dispensing or recommending progesterone cream, I would recommend you contact BioHealth Diagnostics for an information kit.
• We will not dispense any cream at this point without a proper evaluation of one’s adrenal and female hormones. This will be done through salivary hormone testing.
• Natural progesterone is the exact same hormone that is produced by a woman's ovary. It is made from naturally occurring plant steroids found in the wild yam. It is NOT the synthetic version that is commonly purchased as tablets with a prescription such as Provera. The synthetic progesterone can produce severe side effects including increased risk of cancer, abnormal menstrual flow, fluid retention, nausea, and depression. Side effects are extremely rare with natural progesterone.
• Natural progesterone is very useful to balance excess estrogen. Natural progesterone is also different from estrogen in that your body can use it as a precursor or starting material to make other hormones such as adrenal hormones. It can even convert it into estrogen or testosterone if your body needs it.
• Some of the reasons that estrogen is frequently in excess in many women are:
• 1. Over production of estrogen. Ovarian cysts or tumors can lead to excess estrogen production. Stress also increases production, but probably the most common cause is obesity. All body fat has an enzyme which converts adrenal steroids to estrogen, so the more fat you have, the more estrogen is present.
• 2. Inability to breakdown estrogen. Excess estrogen is generally removed by the liver. Diseases of the liver like cirrhosis or decreased enzyme activity can lead to increased estrogen levels. Vitamin B6 and magnesium are necessary for the liver to neutralize estrogen. Increased sugar intake will also excrete magnesium and interfere with its ability to breakdown estrogen.
• 3. Exposure to pesticides in foods. Most of us eat foods that have pesticides on them. These and many other unnatural chemicals share a common structure with estrogen and serve as "false" estrogens which further stimulates the body's estrogen receptors.
• 4. Estrogen supplementation. Clearly any additional estrogen given by prescription will increase the level unless it is properly balanced with natural progesterone.
• 5. Decreased production of progesterone. Progesterone is necessary to counterbalance estrogen. If women do not ovulate during their cycle they will not produce any progesterone that cycle. This happens commonly and worsens the already disturbed progesterone/estrogen balance.

…End of File Preview…

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 01, 2013 06:13PM

The thing about it is that black cohosh is that it was purported to have compounds that were like estrogen. Wikipedia states that it was found later not to contain these compounds.

As mentioned, Wild Yam is supposed to be a precursor to progesterone, which appears to be at issue in perimenopause. In other words, everyone is so worried about estrogen levels when they should first think about their progesterone. Chasteberry has adaptogenic qualities, if I am not mistaken.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 01, 2013 06:26PM

Sorry. Have you try hemp protein? low protein diets cand cause hormonal changes. Make sure you don't eat gluten. I would also add more Zinc.

[www.amazon.com]

Good luck

Date: April 02, 2013 02:35AM

John, banana and Panchito,

Thank you.

Panchito, why are you sorry??

I will check into y'alls suggestions. smiling smiley

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables