Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

complete protein in diet
Posted by: halfinlove ()
Date: April 16, 2013 02:19PM

I've been eating mostly everything raw lately. Fruit and veggies mostly, but sometimes I'll have sprouted grain bread or raw goat cheese. I also eat hemp seed oil, extra virgin olive oil and evening primrose oil. Sometimes I'll add nuts and seeds to my salad.

My question is.. do you guys think I need to eat foods that give me a complete protein? Like combining beans and rice? I was talking to my uncle last night about my diet and he said a lot of research has been done that shows you can get a deficiency and harm your body if you don't get a complete protein every day. He also said that a lot of nutritionists who only ate raw ended up dying at an early age from cancer.. but then I've read books written by doctors who cured degenerative diseases with a raw food diet. And on another hand (not enough hands here lol) I've read that most people get too much protein?? So I'm just really confused about what I should be eating and how much protein I really need! Any help would be really appreciated please!!! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: complete protein in diet
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 16, 2013 02:36PM

Usually protein is not the main concern. The body builds its own protein from the food you eat and there are protein in every food you eat, greens, nuts, seeds have plenty of it. The main concern if you are raw vegan is to cover issues like B12.

Date: April 16, 2013 02:48PM

well i am also taking blue green algea superfood supplements (Aphanizomenon Flos Aquae from Klamath Lake) and I read that this algea has b12 in it, as well as "glyco-proteins, vitamins, minerals, simple carbohydrates, lipids and biologically active enzymes" so do you think that is enough b12 for me? How do most raw vegans get b12? I read that getting a b12 shot is not necessary?

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:21PM

Nobody can tell if you are taking enough b12, just make sure you test yourself once a year. You have to watch how you feel, your body can tell if something is not right. I am not vegan so I cannot tell you what else I take for b12. I read that algea do have b12 and 4 tablets can give you enough for the day. There is also E3Live

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 16, 2013 04:29PM

fruits and vegatbles have all types but the essential aminos (lysine) are in restricted amounts. So you need a high calories diet to get all. If you eat a raw low calorie diet then you may not get the right amounts of essential amino acids. So if you are low cal, then I would get cooked legumes to be safe. But you could get frozen sweet peas or corn too. Do your own test and see how you feel. Better be safe. Some people are hybrid. They eat most raw but have some cooked food. If you eat +70 raw, then you are raw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:32PM by Panchito.

Date: April 16, 2013 05:48PM

i don't keep track of calories. i just eat however much raw food i want. i just bought some chia seed powder though bc i read that chia has all the essential amino acids so i can put that in my smoothies.

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: April 17, 2013 03:09AM

halfinlove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't keep track of calories. i just eat however
> much raw food i want. i just bought some chia seed
> powder though bc i read that chia has all the
> essential amino acids so i can put that in my
> smoothies.

I think you can definitely can get the protein in, you just have up your intake.

I never heard of chia seed powder? that sounds good.

Date: April 17, 2013 10:12PM

i got it at the health food store by me. the package says sprouted chia powder. its by a company called navitas naturals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables