Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watch for warning signs when on raw
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 07, 2006 10:00PM

Here are some warning signs that I have been through on 100% raw high-fruit low fat diet. Just to give some warning so people can be as healthy as possible.

If you are cold most or all of the time, there is a problem.

Pruny hands all of the time.

Hyperventilation. You may have acidosis. I was getting quite often just recently. Needed balance in diet.

Hair is falling out even after being raw for some time. There is a problem. I was done with detox and my hair was starting to fall out due to lack of balance in diet and acidosis.

Compulsive about food and watching the clock to see when the next meal or snack is because of hunger all of the time.

No sweating. You should be able to sweat. I wasn't even sweating after a hard work out.

Loosing rapid weight even after detox. I had steady weight for a while after detox about 97 lbs. Last week I weighed 94 lbs. My normal weight preraw was 110 lbs. You do the math. I ws getting so acidic from fruit, and here I thought I was being alkalized.

A general feeling of malaise. Noises and bright lights bother you and seem to be more irritating than anything.

SOme tips: Check your pH throughout the day to see if you are alkaline-acid balanced or not. It should read acid in the morning, but the rest of the day, it should be balanced. Some of the syptoms above is acidosis and you need a balanced diet. Not everyone is like this, this happened to me and I am just giving people some warning if this happens to you, you would want to seek a more balanced diet or get tested for acidosis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watch for warning signs when on raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2006 12:06AM

This is very interesting. I have had some of the same symptoms in the past.
Once I went to 80% raw things are better. I now eat homemade vegetable soups with some lentils in them. I feel I can get more variety easier and I am actually drinking all the liquid the veggies are cooked in so not wasting the minerals in that respect.
I had to cut down on fruit, now I eat about 4-5 servings and two of those serviings are in my green smoothie.. I also eat tons more vegetables and a few more nuts and seeds. I have cut back on dates to one or two per day. (Too much sugar)..

By more balanced what do you mean? Do you mean more veggies? I still have
"prune hands" if that means wrinkled looking skin on the hands. And I still get sensitive to noise and bright lights a lot. I think that is a lack of B vitamins so I am now using a little fortified nutritional yeast.
I still think 80% raw is healthy and I feel better..
Carlson

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 08, 2006 12:47AM

Carlson, what brand of nutritional yeast do you use? I use Gayelord Hauser yeast; it says "brewers" on the label, but it isn't really, I don't think, since true brewers yeast has that bitter beer-like smell & taste, as far as I know.

Also, I heard that some yeast manufacturers top up their yeast with synthetic B-vitamins so that they can say all the B vitamins are equal in amount, but that is wrong, as I don't think our bodies work that way. No food in nature has all its B vitamins (ie, thiamine, riboflavin, B-6, etc.) all in the same amount. What do you think?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2006 02:44AM

shep252 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> SOme tips: Check your pH throughout the day to see
> if you are alkaline-acid balanced or not. It
> should read acid in the morning, but the rest of
> the day, it should be balanced.

Well... I also am freezing my tooshie off in this cold weather... and it is not even cold yet... and I have my long undies on. 68 degrees here today and I am running around with a jacket on (and my long undies) when everyone else is in t-shirts like it is balmy weather.

but, my question here is that I need to know more about how to check one's pH. Is this a saliva test thing or do I have to aim at something?

Apparently I need explicit instructions.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 08, 2006 06:35AM

When I went from high fat to low fat / high fruit, I also experienced a general sense of malaise, in fact, it was necessary for me to take 4 months off from work so that I could focus on my healing. For me, what that looked like was to sleep like crazy, 16 to 18 hours a day, until I could sleep no longer. During this time my body healed and I was able to gain weight afterwards. And after the 4 months, I could get by with only 10 hours of sleep a night.

But during this whole time I kept up with the low fat /high fruit diet. And when I came through the other end of the sickness, I experienced a whole new level of health I had not seen in my entire adult life. My seconds winter was so much more pleasant than my first, as I had gained weight and become less troubled by cold weather.

Last year, on a cold winter's day, it was raining and cold and windy, and I jumped into the cold northern California pacific ocean stark naked. I was cold in the water, but when I got out, it was exhilarating.

Posted by: jan ()
Date: November 08, 2006 09:42AM

Bryan,

I have to say that you are such an inspiration and so informative.
Thanks to you and all who bring important information to the forum to help us to stay raw. It's a blessing to know that we can come here and find answers to our
problems. When else but on the living & raw forum!

Peace Jan

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 08, 2006 12:15PM

I think it is important to keep the leafy greens in your diet, as they are a good at alkalizing and contain many trace nutrients.
I have been more successful with my raw diet since changing it this way.
I cut my consumption of nuts way down, as we know, almost all commercial shelled nuts are cooked, I try to shell my own if I have any at all. This in itself lowers the intake.
The funny thing is since I have done that I have been on a high fruit diet so these warning signs are certainly helpful thank you for that.
A couple of times I have felt slightly light headed, I image that this is too much sugar so I have been eating less high sugar fruit.

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 08, 2006 04:29PM

Being affected by noise can be a sign of B12 deficiency.

B12 is a very controversial subject with differing opinions. Many people are taking B12 supplements.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 08, 2006 08:44PM

Thanks for the input everyone. The support here is great.

Yes. That's what I meant by balance.

Bryan, after reading so many of your posts in the past, I can see that your diet is very well balanced. You inncorporate greens in your smoothies.

I, on the other hand, wasn't getting that balance and it has been 4 months on mostly raw. To my conclusion, I was already suffering from acidosis from my SAD days, and then eating all the fruit all of the time then a salad at the end of the day, then some nuts made it worse (I thought I was alkalizing my body, but to find out I am sooo acidic that my bones are shrinking from the depletion of minerals and vitamins including B12! I took a B12 supplement last night because I was feeling very sick and I had so many palpitations and I couldn't sleep. Well, shortly after I took one, I felt like I was getting over a hangover then the palpitations ended and the nervy feelings disappeared then I could finally sleep.

To check pH levels, follow the directions. Usually it's a pee test, to be frank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables