Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is cayenne bad?
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: November 08, 2006 08:23PM

I've heard that cayenne can help with digestion, circulation, cleansing, and elimination. I read that it is a stimulant with no negative side effects, and that is is extremely beneficial.

I've been doing a 80-10-10 approach... all whole fresh fruits and veggies with the occational exceptions of dates, some dried seaweeds, and nutritional yeast.
I tend to have weak/slow digestion, low circulation, and such. I have been freezing lately, here in New England, and have been considering adding organic cayenne powder to my diet: on top of salads, in soups, and in hot water w/lemon and stevia.

My question is, to your knowledge, is cayenne actually benefical? I ask because I have heard that some people consider it an irritant, and that it will actually hinder digestion and elimination. I don't want to eat something that will harm and hinder the processes that I would be trying to heal and hasten by taking it!

I do enjoy the taste of spicy foods, but I am concerned.
Please share your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is cayenne bad?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 08, 2006 09:09PM

What is bad about cayenne?

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 08, 2006 09:56PM

I don't think it is bad, as long as one doesn't over do it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2006 11:26PM

I think cayenne is the most important herb. I use it daily. I add it to every green smoothie.

One of my favorite beverages is:

Juice a half a lemon
juice one apple
juice a little ginger root or add a little ginger powder
add in a small pinch of cayenne pepper powder

Enjoy in the morning on an empty stomach

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 09, 2006 02:08AM

Depending on who it is, who you ask, you will get every answer under the sun. Plus people change their minds all the time about things. I love cayenne. I know , maybe it is not that good ? maybe, who knows, I know people who eat a ton of it to get rid of "Parasites"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 02:10AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 09, 2006 03:35AM

if your doing the 80/10/10 approach according to doug graham, then cayenne would be "no go". As irritant/stimulating foods is a NO with doug.

I personally think its ok to include sometimes, if fresh and ripe. I believe nightshades should only be eaten when they are absolutely ripe, that means no tomatoes in december when they are pink!

I would consider garlic/onions/hot peppers something to include seldom in a raw diet. It can have some beneficial effects when taken on a limited basis, but should not be included on a daily basis.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 11, 2006 04:18PM

Re cayenne. It is not suitable for certain types of deficiency conditions. You can find further information on this angle on some websites on Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 11, 2006 11:16PM

Cool question. I am most familiar with cayenne from the lemonade diet. I found this info too. It seems it will save one from dying of a heart attack!

[edibleandmedicinalplants.tribe.net]

Blood and Circulation
Cayenne stimulates blood flow - instantly. It dilates arterial walls and cuts through mucus in the veins, thus increasing circulation to the extremities and helping overall to lower blood pressure. It strengthens the heart, arteries, capillaries and the nerves.

Over time it will thin the blood if it is too thick. In the west a big problem is high cholesterol, which makes the blood too thick, giving the heart a harder job.

Cayenne also regulates blood flow effectively so circulation throughout the body is even, and there is no excessive pressure in any one part. Excessive menstrual flow can be reduced and controlled with Cayenne.

Heart
Dr John Christopher once wrote that in 35 years of practice, and working with people and teaching, he never once lost a heart attack patient during a house call. If the patient was still breathing he would "pour down them a cup of cayenne tea (a teaspoon of cayenne in a cup of hot water) and within minutes they are up and around."

He says that Cayenne is one of the fastest acting aids we could ever give for the heart. The warm tea opens up the cell structure and the heart benefits immediately from the Cayenne - a powerful food containing flavanoids, to heal heart cells and give protection.

Wounds
Cayenne can be applied to open wounds or taken orally to stop bleeding. Nosebleeds, deep cuts, even arterial gushing will stop within seconds.

Blood pressure is equalised throughout the body so there is no excessive pressure on the haemorrhage area and it can clot naturally.

A poultice of Cayenne wrapped around a wound will ensure safe healing and will often not even leave a scar!

Internal wounds can be stopped from bleeding by drinking a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of Cayenne stirred into it. In fact, as shocking as it sounds, Cayenne has been shown to be an effective pain reliever for sufferers of stomach ulcers.

Other Uses
Cayenne is rich in carotenoids (orange and red coloring compounds), and a number of vitamins (especially A and C). Carotenoids have strong anti-oxidant properties and are receiving current interest for their protection against cancer.

Cayenne can increase libido and reverse a loss of sex drive.

It is good for sore throats, and tonsillitis. One recipe for an effective gargle is to mix one teaspoon of Cayenne, one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and three tablespoons of clover honey in a glass of warm water. Gargle as often as necessary.

Cayenne has an invigorating effect when applied to the skin, and can be used for temporary relief of minor aches and pains of muscles and joints associated with simple backaches, arthritis, strains, bruises and sprains.

Newborn infants have reportedly been successfully resuscitated with a few drops of Cayenne administered orally.

Menstrual cramps can be relieved by Cayenne, as it warms the internal organs if taken orally. It can also be applied externally as an ointment on the abdomen if the cramps are severe.

Cayenne can be used to break up congestion and relieve coughs.

As a relief for aching feet Cayenne powder can be sprinkled inside your socks before putting them on. This will stimulate circulation, warming and invigorating the feet.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: November 12, 2006 12:14AM

It CAN be! If you're on the third day of your very first master cleanse and you're standing in the kitchen mixing up your first lemonade of the day and you just have a towel wrapped around you because you just finished showering and the cayenne floats up and causes you to SNEEZE! Yup, it could be bad!

(happened yesterday!)

Life is Good!

alive!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 12, 2006 04:22AM

cayenne is
what it is

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables