Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Will cherimoyas ripen at home?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:38PM

So bizarre. About two weeks ago I went into my local grocery store (which is the typical type filled with boxed and canned foods and too much overpriced produce) and I saw a little tag for cherimoya. I had bought starfruit there a few months earlier but they are not known for exotic produce in the least. I also saw some weird fruit called Buddha's hand or something. I looked it up--I think it's citrus but I am not sure.

The next day I went to my nearest produce market and saw...cherimoya!smiling smiley So this cherimoya stuff is really happening all of a sudden. I don't know what is going on--I wonder if raw fooders are clamoring for it. In any case, it was hard and I also didn't know if it's supposed to be a certain color. It's going for $6.99 a lb.

On Amazon I read a review by someone who ordered cherimoya online and threw it in the garbage because it arrived hard. Another poster said it could be ripened from a hardened state. I was wondering if that is true. It could be, since avocados are like that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will cherimoyas ripen at home?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:41PM

Yes, they will ripen if you just let them sit until they get soft.

Date: May 10, 2013 07:47PM

Thanks! I think the price is pretty good, compared to what I have heard.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: May 10, 2013 11:36PM

Found this on wiki -

"The optimum temperature for storage is 8–12 °C (46–54 °F), depending on cultivar, ripeness stage, and duration, with an optimum relative humidity of 90-95%.

Exposure to ethylene (100 ppm for one to two days) accelerates ripening of mature-green cherimoya and other Annona fruits; they can ripen in about five days if kept at 15 to 20 °C (59 to 68 °F). Ethylene removal can be helpful in retarding ripening of mature-green fruits"

I usually put fruits in a paper bag for a couple of days to hasten the ripening process - it will concentrate the ethylene. (a hormone that is produced by the plant)

Date: May 11, 2013 04:21PM

Thanks, VJ! I looked at Wiki and for some reason must have just glanced over it.

I guess it's like avocados. Until very recently I would only buy ones that has a little give and never rock-hard ones. Now I get them that hard and they ripen in two days.

Has anyone ever been able to properly ripen a rock-hard mango or pear? It seems they need to be picked ripe, eh?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables