Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Parorexia!
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 11, 2013 08:56PM

I often see the term 'orthorexia' thrown in forums. The definition of orthorexia can be found here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Orthorexia nervosa (also known as orthorexia) is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder[1] characterized by an extreme or excessive preoccupation with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthful.[2][3]The term orthorexia derives from the Greek ortho, "right" or "correct", and orexis, "appetite", literally meaning a correct diet. It was introduced in 1997 by Doctor of Medicine Steven Bratman, to be used as a parallel with other eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa."

The term orthorexia is often culturally thrown to vegans (by non vegans) as a criticism. The opposite term would be parorexia. However, wikipedia has a very tiny definition for parorexia:

[en.wiktionary.org]

"An abnormal craving for objects not normally considered food."

Now, you can throw it back if confronted with a smart ass calling you orthorexic because you eat raw or mostly raw smiling smiley This could be a simulated Wikipedia definition

"Paorexia nervosa (also known as parorexia) is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder[1] characterized by a dull or limited preoccupation with not avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthful.[2][3]The term parorexia derives from the Greek para, "incorrect", and orexis, "appetite"winking smiley, literally meaning an incorrect diet"

Is the world parorexic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parorexia!
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: May 11, 2013 11:35PM

That is funny. Someone just told me I had an eating disorder which made me angry.. I just want to be healthy. Sure, losing weight would be great, but why should I be judged because I dont stuff my face with processed junk.

I am also at a college and live near campus where there is frozen yog stores on every corner.. I have to walk by and sometimes it is hard, to be honest. Like, I feel "weird' because I dont fit in. Even my vegan friends here eat vegan bars and lots of processed foods from WF just because they dont eat meat.

Anyhow, thanks for making me smile.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 12, 2013 12:06PM

Parorexia controls the planet as just about all disease starts in the gut. What happens is that there is a war of cultures (beliefs). if 30% of cancer is produced by diet alone, certaintly, it can be called parorexia. Same with cardio vascular disease.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 19, 2013 07:48AM

Thanks for this...I'm sure I'll get a chance to use this one tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables