Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any ideas on salt-cured raw olives at a good price?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:07AM

I am looking at something in line with under $10 a pound. A lot of what I have seen is 8 oz. for that price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any ideas on salt-cured raw olives at a good price?
Date: May 16, 2013 11:42PM

LOL--I'll take that as a no...

There is one company that salt-cures them and then packs them in olive oil (not extra virgin). I have heard that olive oil is extracted from the pit and inferior but I wonder if it's still healthy. Any ideas?

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:18AM

Hi banana who, I've had some good Kalamata olives from the salad bar at our local, upscale grocery store. They don't taste like vinegar so that is the clue. I haven't been able to locate the bottle/container to buy them, however. When I asked someone, they said they didn't know where to buy them in the container so every so often, I take a small container and cover the bottom with the olives and throw in a few veggies to identity it coming from the salad bar rather than the olive bar as the olive bar is much more expensive per pound. The olives aren't marked with any special tag. They are sitting in a brine that has olive oil in it and they are pitted.

Also, have you tried looking in a Middle Eastern grocery store? I've picked up a plastic slab container in the past that had Kalamata olives whose ingredients were salt and olive oil. They weren't pitted but that was fine. I had to wipe away some of the salt as it was a bit overpowering.

The last idea is if you live where olive trees grow, like in Phoenix or such, you can wait for the olives to get ripe (black) and pull them off the tree. I tasted one that was off a broken branch when I lived in Phoenix and it was really good raw. I thought about growing my own tree here in Ohio in a pot. I'm not sure if I will follow through as I already have some delicate plants in pots and don't know how much more room in my apartment I can set aside for my plants in winter time.

Good luck! Therese

Date: May 17, 2013 02:39AM

Thanks. I actually have been buying them from Trader Joe's. They are supposedly cured in salt and vinegar but they are in a jar on the shelf so can they really be raw? I suppose so. I remember gonig to a raw food restaurant in Chicago and they sold raw olives in jars on their shelf. I will tell you--these kalamata black olives are SO much better than the black olives in a can! I will never buy those again. Plus I heard they are treated with lye. sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables