Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ah...first watermelon of the season! smiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 16, 2013 05:28PM

Not the sweetest (a paler red) but still a momentuous occasion.

Question: why is it that when you cut into a watermelon and let it sit, it gets SWEETER? This is not just my imagination. I am curious about the science behind it...

What is funny about eating this melon is that I first saw it for sale last week and had no desire to buy one because it was COLD outside! Talk about crazy Chicago weather--a few days ago it dipped down to the 30s at night and then went up to the 90s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ah...first watermelon of the season! smiling smiley
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:31PM

Organic?

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 16, 2013 11:19PM

If you first ate the end of the watermelon and are now eating the center of the watermelon, then you've hit the Sweet Spot and the center of the watermelon is always the sweetest.

Date: May 16, 2013 11:33PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Organic?

No!

Date: May 16, 2013 11:35PM

John Rose, I don't think that is exactly it because I have cut watermelon and when it sits, it seems to get sweeter. I realize that might sound silly but I really feel that it does...

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:11AM

I just bought one today from Trader Joe's - they said it's from Florida. I hope it tastes good, but I can't open it until I have more room in my refrigerator.

I had a bad Trader Joe's experience today, just when I was really into that place because of the great price on their fresh flowers. I had to wait in line behind 3 or 4 other people and it took forever. There were two other lines open and they were long also - they should have opened another register. I never get that problem at my local supermarket or at Whole Foods. The person working the register was just moseying along taking her own sweet time. That's the type of people who work at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. They don't owe the world a living; the world owes them a living. If I was working in a market at a register, I'd be fast as lightning. I never did understand why a store doesn't get rid of slow people working the register. I don't think I'll be going back there.

My daughter said she doesn't like Trader Joe's because the produce isn't that good quality. The flowers are cheaper, but they're not as good quality as Whole Foods, either.

I've noticed that, also - if the watermelon sits out for a while, it gets more ripe fast. You have to be careful not to leave it out too long though. Some are a lost cause if they're just light pink and under-ripe. If you get a watermelon that has a crack inside down the middle, like a crevice, that's the best more perfect ripeness and sweetness you can get, but you have to be careful that it doesn't get over-ripe before you can finish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2013 02:16AM by KidRaw.

Date: May 17, 2013 02:42AM

I bought mine from Aldi's (parent company of TJ's). I go to all three stores--luckily I live near all three! smiling smiley

I paid $4.99 for mine (seedless). TJ's I really don't buy my watermelons from. Haven't had good ones. What is so weird and funny is that the Aldi's makes sure to have both seedless and those with seeds. They also tend to have very good watermelons compared to TJ's and even sometimes WF's. I haven't always bought good melons from WF's.

I think paying more creates a perception in some people of higher quality. So not the case! Remember that there was a recent recall on some contaminated product (apple juice?) and both Whole Food's and TJ's were implicated!

Date: May 17, 2013 03:02PM

banana who Wrote:
> John Rose, I don't think that is exactly it
> because I have cut watermelon and when it sits, it
> seems to get sweeter. I realize that might sound
> silly but I really feel that it does...

I have had the same experience banana. They seem to get sweeter after cut open?

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 17, 2013 03:23PM

In my experience trader joes workers are statistically the fastest workers of any grocery company I have ever seen. Not all workers at open minded stores act like "stoners". the produce at TJ's is garbage, just like the stuff at aldi. These are MEGA corp companies that use the lowest grade of factory farming to produce foods. Whole foods at least works with most of there producers to make sure they are sustainable, and fair trade situation. Even their conventional produce they generally visit the farm to make sure they don't use excess chemicals and what not. For instance, whole foods conventional bananas are still grown organically, and totally fair trade, yet the land hasn't been certified yet so they are sold as conventional. So yes, conventional toxic aldi watermelon may taste a little better than some watermelons from whole foods, but nobody's throat had to be cut in order to grow it, and way less impact on the earth also occurred to create that watermelon. I have eaten at least 10 watermelons this month already!! totally organic and only $.49 a pound from whole foods !!! its a warm year ! SUPER SWEET !

Date: May 17, 2013 03:45PM

Raw Lion, that is a crock, IMO. First of all, let's talk about strawberries. I bought some Driscoll's conventional at my local grocery chain (not Aldi's). I paid $2.49 for 2 lbs. Whole Foods is selling them this week for around $2.99 for one pound, SAME company! Now how are you going to tell me that this same mega farm is better when WF's buys from them? Who is getting that extra $$$$? Do you think the mega company is passing the extra moola to their farmhands?

I don't exclusively buy at Aldi's but I do get my avocados from there quite a bit and in terms of quality, I can honestly say that they have looked and tasted as good and sometimes better than WF's. And .49 a pop sometimes. Aldi's pays its cashiers at least $12 an hour compared to WF's $10. Doesn't it seem a bit odd to you that the so-called champion for the workers (WF's) would CHINTZ their own workers but supposedly be so conscientous to farmhands? A bit of a disconnect there and I think it's a huge scam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2013 03:45PM by banana who.

Date: May 17, 2013 04:28PM

I'm not sure your wage figures are right? and I believe WFM starts them at $10 and they get good discounts on there foods. Of coarse prices will vary but WFM probably does not buy in such quantity. I know some can't afford it but if you are buying commercial produce you are funding the people that have a lot to do with why peopple are sick and cancerous. I know people that have worked in the agriculture industry and they were appauled at all the treatments that they do to the vegies! And these were not even health concious people. I am not real hip on WFM but it's the best I got right now and has many good points. It's not easy providing organic foods, they go bad crops fail etc. All the employee's I know there love it and it seems to be a good working atmosphere. Personally I would rahter work there then at my local big mart. Try buying some grass fed meat or organic stuff at your beloved Aldi's? Just saying, not trying to put anyone down or be argumentive.

Date: May 17, 2013 04:42PM

Okay listen to me, I will shop WF's when their prices are appropriate for my particular situation.

The point is that WF's is selling THE SAME BRAND OF CONVENTIONAL PRODUCE AT JACKED-UP PRICES. So whatever horrific conditions you are speaking of, are you telling me that when WF's gives them business, they are immune from the effects of using pesticides? WF's stocks CONVENTIONAL PRODUCE in addition to organics. I buy their greens and carrots in organics because the price is right. They also sell those boxed greens from Earthbound Farms and I see the same thing cheaper at my local produce market at times and will buy it from them instead. Same company, different prices.

I know for a fact about the wages because I applied there. The point is not to bash WF's; I am there just about every day but to bring them down to Earth. They are not perfect and in some cases, may be actually scamming the public.

Date: May 17, 2013 09:15PM

I wanted to take a juice with me but all I had was my cut melon so...I put it in the Vitamix and gave it a whirl! I wish I could show you this lovely colored juice in a Kerr jar! I didn't filter out the fiber, either! smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 18, 2013 12:20AM

I got some Cal-Organics seeded red watermelon today. I've been eating the Mexican stuff, but this is the first locally from California. Yay!

Posted by: janetc ()
Date: May 18, 2013 02:03AM

Banana Who: I've been putting tons of watermelon, strawberries, and some spinach in the Vitamix and have had a huge juice for breakfast every morning. The spinach color kind of throws you off (more brown juice than green LOL), but it is delicious. I love watermelon juice.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 18, 2013 02:49PM

We just opened the Watermelon from Trader Joe's and it's a big disappointment. It's over-ripe - dark red and mushy and watery and my husband said it tastes perfumy. No way would I even try it. I have the receipt so I'll take it back and get a refund and it won't be a problem, but it's a drag that I have to go through the hassle sad smiley

Date: May 18, 2013 05:47PM

janetc Wrote:
> Banana Who: I've been putting tons of watermelon,
> strawberries, and some spinach in the Vitamix and
> have had a huge juice for breakfast every morning.
> The spinach color kind of throws you off (more
> brown juice than green LOL), but it is delicious.
> I love watermelon juice.

Wow, great idea!!! I wonder if arugula is too intense...It's like a watery smoothie. I really liked the fact that there was so much fiber in it and yet it was very juice-like. It was filling versus typical juice, you know?

Prana, that is great. I really haven't been all that interested in eating it until now because the weather was too cool so it is great to be able to enjoy it when your body does, also.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 19, 2013 07:05AM

Re: about Trader Joe's staff, above:
That's surprising to me...I've always been quite impressed by the staff at Trader Joe's, in several locations. They go out of their way to help me, and I'm often pulled into a new line at the register if the one I'm in is long. No one's paying me to say this, either, I just like the place, and they've always treated me better than...really, any other store I go to.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 07:08AM by fresherthanlife.

Date: May 20, 2013 05:11PM

I made another juice-smoothie in the VM this morning: watermelon, lemon and romaine lettuce. I am not all that gung-ho about it. I think celery would have been better but then I would have juiced the whole thing because celery is very stringy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables