Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buying Raw Food Items Online?
Posted by: BlueOnBlue ()
Date: May 16, 2013 11:13PM

I recently just bought some raw nuts online and they had to be shipped of course, so they sat in hot trucks for at least some part of their journey. I tried to find out how hot a truck can get, 130 degrees F being one answer I found (so the items would not be raw anymore, right?). I'm just wondering if anyone has looked into this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying Raw Food Items Online?
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 04:37PM

Very good point! I have always wanted to look into this. I am sure it is not always this bad. I am sure if it is in a package it will insulate it some-what for sure! and probably never even got above 100deg. in the hottest conditions. I am hoping and guessing that with all the stops they do that it never gets to hot while in the delivery trucks. But in the semi's it could be much worse. I have ordered many nuts like this and have not had much of an issue that I can tell. I think the key is that they are packaged well as some of these health foodists now all bout the heat issue. You should call the seller and see if they have any insight also. Tell us what you come up with.

Posted by: BlueOnBlue ()
Date: May 18, 2013 11:10AM

Well I did a little more searching and found another answer from a truck company owner who said it could get to 160 degrees inside the shipping container part of the truck easy. If the food items are sitting there for hours, I'm pretty sure they'd get just as hot unless they have an ice pack...

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 04:59PM

Oo, that's not good to hear! I don't think this is correct in some way. If all the nuts I have ordered on line were cooked even a little bit because of this I would know it! The cardboard alone combined with some plastic that the nuts are in would be a decent barrier against heat. The air in my attic gets about the same temp. BUT! it is sitting still in the heat and has an asphalt tile on it. A truck while moving should be cooled some-what during travel by passing air. There has to be some explanation for this that we are not seeing and the truckers are not concerned in explaning to you. It might be best to get the opinion from a knowlegable distributer before making final judgments. Thanks for the thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables