Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Looking for a substitute...
Posted by: Elphaba ()
Date: November 10, 2006 06:47AM

…for Honey Roasted Cashews. I have found plenty of raw cashews online and several different raw sweetened/glazed nuts, but I cannot seem to find any raw sweetened/glazed cashew nuts.

If anyone knows of a place to order them online, would you please post a link for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a substitute...
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 10, 2006 07:08AM

You could try to make your own. You can order (real) raw cashews online, then make up some glaze. You might be able to find glaze recipes online as well. I'm guessing some raw honey and salt maybe? Check the ingredients of the honey roasted cashews and anything that isn't cashew is what they put in the glaze. Once you have the glaze made up, mix the cashews in the glaze and spread them on a flat sheet in a dehydrator.

Good luck,
Ian.

Date: November 13, 2006 01:30PM

Thanks for the reply, Ian. I think may have to. For some odd reason no one seems to be making sweetened cashews. I would think they'd be a popular flavor.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: November 13, 2006 04:07PM

I have read in one place that cashews are to be avoided. Dr. Robert Young advocates this in his book The PH Miracle.

Anyone ever heard this?

Date: November 14, 2006 10:43AM

The only negative thing I have heard about raw cashews is that most of them are not really raw, so you have to be careful of who you buy them from.

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: November 14, 2006 03:37PM

it can be hard to get raw cashews, even some people that say they are raw are selling heat treated nuts. they taste different though.
[www.rawfoods.com]

once you have some of the raw ones and "raw" ones its easy to tell the difference. the ones that have been heated up taste sick to me.
i just got some im pretty sure are raw from www.sweetwatermarket.com
they are cheaper here.
natures first law has them, and also eatraw.com these guys are more expensive though.
youve got to look for "really raw" cashews or some mention of them being actually raw. usually raw just means not roasted style.
given the scarcity of raw cashews its not suprising no one is glazing them, but you should be able to do that. maybe even vegan with agave or dates or something.
i dont think you want to soak or sprout them for long as they seem to go bad quickly.

brett

Date: November 14, 2006 04:57PM

Thanks for the tips, Brett!

Date: November 14, 2006 07:08PM

[www.rawfood.com]

these ones taste a little bit better but cost a good deal more. these are the same that are on eatraw.com

Date: November 15, 2006 02:48AM

im really starting to doubt that sweet water has raw cashews after eating a few more.
im going to order some really raw and compare.
these ones taste kinda like the cooked ones ive got.

brett

Date: November 15, 2006 05:19AM

[www.naturalzing.com]

Cashews, Truly Raw Wild
[cashew] $12.50
Cashews, Truly Raw Wild

These are raw cashews, shelled by hand and never heated, unlike the ones in the store that say raw but are steamed or fried to remove the shell.

This is the perfect healthy snack, rich in natural healthy oils. Tasty, creamy, rich in minerals, the ultimate gourmet quality. Our cashews, which grow wild in Indonesia, are harvested and shelled without heating the raw cashew nut. The farmers use specially-designed tools to split open each cashew shell by hand, leaving the cashew nut raw and fresh. Whole cashews with bud still intact will sprout and grow

These cashews make tasty raw dressings and sauces as well as a delicious granola ingredient. Best price I could find!

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars! [5 of 5 Stars!]

Date: November 15, 2006 01:41PM

Thanks for the update, Brett.

5 Stars, eh?

I'm going to see if Natural Zing has anything else I'm interested in and then place an order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables