Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tired
Posted by: arawnut ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:29PM

I get so tired in the afternoons to the point where I don't feel like doing anything when I get home from work. Like today, I'm finishing my second green smoothie 16oz each and I had some yellow squash chips I made plush my multi-vitamin this morning. Please don't tell me I'm lacking in B12. I started feeling this way for the past week. Help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tired
Date: June 10, 2013 09:54PM

So far there have been 6 views, but I need advise and could use some right now, no matter how brief. Thank you.

Date: June 10, 2013 10:41PM

I have no ideas either. I'm going to try to fast tomorrow and see if that helps. I don't have to come into work so maybe I can relax and try to figure this out. I'm just tired of being tired.

Date: June 10, 2013 10:43PM

One more thing. Has anyone tried the b12 injections? My Dr provides this service but I was hoping to not need to go there.

Date: June 10, 2013 10:52PM

l was the king of tiredness, never had much energy and everyday was a struggle, but not anymore....l can work day and night. Please outline your diet in full detail.

How far are you prepared to go to experience a high energy lifestyle? Are you prepared to change your lifestyle if need be?

l tried the B12 injections once. Toxic. There are much better ways...best to use a soil based bacterial supplement for B12 instead. It might not be just one nutrient lacking, it could be a whole host of different things. It's important to look at your entire lifestyle before we can make any recommendations.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 10, 2013 11:02PM

arawnut, if you are tired, then take a nap. And sleep more if you need it. Rather than seeing this as a problem, perhaps this tiredness is a gift that is allowing your body to do some extra healing.

Date: June 11, 2013 01:51AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>

Prana: l have been trying to P.M you but l keep on getting this message:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 84 bytes) in /usr/www/users/rawboard/newboard/pm.php on line 1121

l wish to contact the administrator.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:10AM

The admin is John Kohler, who is the owner of www.rawfoods.com, www.discountjuicers.com. Try emailing him at john.kohler.359@facebook.com or on Facebook friend "John Kohler".

Date: June 11, 2013 02:18AM

Thanks for the email address Prana, much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 02:19AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 11, 2013 08:40AM

A common cause is lack of D3 (sun or supplement)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:14PM

arawnut,

If this is sudden, maybe you are coming down with a bug or just feeling really run down from work stressors, or something like that. I agree with Prana that simply resting more could help. I also agree with The Sproutarian Man that without knowing more details about your diet and how long you've been doing raw, we are all just guessing. Hope you post back soon!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:21PM

If you are not in love with what you do, that can manifest as chronic fatigue. I think that it's good to have dreams which energize us and give us something to go towards. So being in environments which don't resonate (around negative people, artificial surrounding or pursuing activities which are not in alignment with what you are about) can be very draining.

Date: June 11, 2013 03:13PM

Sorry, I forgot to add things you could do. Take steps towards whatever it is that inspires you. So every day, even while you may still be in a certain job, you will be doing that which is your true purpose.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:07PM

try no fat in the morning. Do your smoothies have any fat in them?? maybe if they have zero fat maybe you need a little more? also, people tend to underestimate the amount of food they need on raw. for instance i eat piles of fruit everyday. more than people think is "right". eat more, eat less fat. fat is over rated, and hard to digest. more greens, more greens high in b vitamins as in wheatgrass and chlorella. you possibly need more iron. parsley and mint are high in iron, then eat vitamin c with them to help the iron digest. most raw folks are near anemic.

Date: June 12, 2013 11:52PM

RAWLION Wrote:
> try no fat in the morning. Do your smoothies have
> any fat in them?? maybe if they have zero fat
> maybe you need a little more? also, people tend
> to underestimate the amount of food they need on
> raw. for instance i eat piles of fruit everyday.
> more than people think is "right". eat more, eat
> less fat. fat is over rated, and hard to digest.
> more greens, more greens high in b vitamins as in
> wheatgrass and chlorella. you possibly need more
> iron. parsley and mint are high in iron, then eat
> vitamin c with them to help the iron digest. most
> raw folks are near anemic.

If you want the highest iron source possible it is highly advised to sprout fenugreek on soil for 12 days and juice. Nothing beats that, + you get a rare source of D2.

I know David Wolfe likes to promote cacao as being the highest source of iron, but he is not correct.

The problem with parsley is that it contains oxalic acid, tannins and all sorts of iron inhibitors that greatly reduce bioavailablity of iron in many cases, so if parsley is going to be consumed it would be best to have it as a juice on it's own or mixed with other green juices only. Many mature plants contain inhibitors and greatly reduce bioavailability of various minerals, that's why sprouting is far superior.

The same problem arises with spirulina and chlorella....high levels of tannins, so one need to be careful how they combine these foods in the diet, and one must have these algaes sparingly when consumed everyday.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2013 11:54PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 13, 2013 01:23AM

RAWLION Wrote:
> raw folks are near anemic.

Source/citation and what does "near anemic" mean?

Telling someone to avoid "fats" is pretty vague considering an apple has fat, spinach has fat. WHICH IS GOOD! We need fat in our diet. I think what rawlion means is don't overdo the overtly fatty foods like nuts, oils, seeds, avocado, coconut. But please give us more information. smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 02:39PM

Not to derail this thread, but sometimes I wonder if the 80-10-10 crowd has problems metabolizing fat? I mean, some people are way more sensitive to gluten than others. Tofurkey slices contains wheat gluten so when I have had it on bread, it's wheat on wheat. I don't have dramatic reactions to gluten and I imagine the same might apply to fat.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:57AM

arawnut,

Have you looked into whether or not you're anemic? The extreme fatigue I'm talking about doesn't go away with a nap or more sleep. When I first got into raw, there would be some mornings when I would wake up and I felt like a Mac Truck had hit me. I didn't know it was anemia at that time . Only over time did I realize that I had anemia. After supplementing with Iron, I found didn't have that heavy feeling and I could readily move my limbs whereas there were times before that that I could barely more. It was a chore to get up to take a shower in the morning or even to walk to my bedroom to go to bed at night. There were a few times that I had extreme fatigue when on a Standard American Diet but because I was eating animal protein, it didn't happen as often.

Also, consider whether or not you're eating enough nutrients during the day. Too little food will make one tired as if on a fast. The brain will get foggy, too.

Hope that helps. Therese

Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 05:07AM

I upped my protein and that helped me.

Date: June 28, 2013 08:13PM

Thanks you for all of your posts. Okay, Sproutarian Man asked for diet and lifestyle to help. Writing it down for all of you made me realize I eat too much of the same foods. Here it is and I thought I was eating a variety.

Greens: Kale, Spinach, Romain Lettuce, Cucumbers, Cabbage, zucchini.

Fruits: Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries and I eat bananas everyday, apples, mango, peaches, grapes, cherries.

Supperfoods: Cacao powder, maca, ground flax seed spirulina, hemp seeds. Chia seeds.

Fats: Avocado, Almonds, Cashews, Coconut

These foods seem to be my staple. Not a lot of herbs. Once I wrote it down, I'm pretty basic.

Tamukha, I've been raw for just over a year.

My daily life activities:
Get up and I drink a lot of coffee.
Mountain Bike before work. avg. 30 min every other day. Then on Sunday 2 hrs. I love the trees and outdoors.
Make my smoothie which changes with the above foods
pack smoothies which is usually 2 32oz, like today some cherry tomatoes
Work at a desk mostly
Home

On my days off, at home, I eat a lot. I wish I could break that cycle, but I feel like I'm making up for some lost food. I'm talking a lot of bananas, with almond butter, topped with raw honey mashed up in a bowl, dates, dried figs.

wow, I've written a lot but here are the supplements I take. Women's mega active multi-vitamin. B complex, fish oil, krill oil, garlic.

what do you use for an alternative to coffee?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 05, 2013 10:33AM

Arawnut,
You mentioned taking a multivitamin. What kind/brand? How long have you been taking it?

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:43AM

If you're curious as to what you actually ARE deficient in, use a food diary app like [cronometer.com] (free) to track everything you eat for a week. Then you'll get a much more realistic idea of the possible nutrient-based causes of your fatigue.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: July 15, 2013 10:27PM

arawnut Wrote:
> Thanks you for all of your posts. Okay,
> Sproutarian Man asked for diet and lifestyle to
> help. Writing it down for all of you made me
> realize I eat too much of the same foods. Here it
> is and I thought I was eating a variety.
>
> Greens: Kale, Spinach, Romain Lettuce, Cucumbers,
> Cabbage, zucchini.
>
> Fruits: Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries
> and I eat bananas everyday, apples, mango,
> peaches, grapes, cherries.
>
> Supperfoods: Cacao powder, maca, ground flax seed
> spirulina, hemp seeds. Chia seeds.
>
> Fats: Avocado, Almonds, Cashews, Coconut
>
> These foods seem to be my staple. Not a lot of
> herbs. Once I wrote it down, I'm pretty basic.
>
> Tamukha, I've been raw for just over a year.
>
> My daily life activities:
> Get up and I drink a lot of coffee.
> Mountain Bike before work. avg. 30 min every other
> day. Then on Sunday 2 hrs. I love the trees and
> outdoors.
> Make my smoothie which changes with the above
> foods
> pack smoothies which is usually 2 32oz, like today
> some cherry tomatoes
> Work at a desk mostly
> Home
>
> On my days off, at home, I eat a lot. I wish I
> could break that cycle, but I feel like I'm making
> up for some lost food. I'm talking a lot of
> bananas, with almond butter, topped with raw honey
> mashed up in a bowl, dates, dried figs.
>
> wow, I've written a lot but here are the
> supplements I take. Women's mega active
> multi-vitamin. B complex, fish oil, krill oil,
> garlic.
>
> what do you use for an alternative to coffee?

My power is about to be turned off so l need to be quick.

1). That coffee is going to greatly stop absorption of the iron in those green smoothies.

2). those greens have tannins and oxalic acid that can possibly bind important minerals like iron, zinc and other things.

3). That spirulina should be had on it's own because it IS extremely high in tannins and can bind important minerals.

4). Those chia seeds are high in phytic acid which is proven to bind with iron in acid stomach environments, they also have good amounts of oxalic acid. Soaking these doesn't solve the problem.

5). The mega B vitamin complex is a real doozy. It is most likely they contain petro chemicals. Get rid of them unless you are very very B vitamin deficient, even then use them for a short term plan. It's a classic nutrient stripper when taken at high levels because it will compete against other nutrients for absorption. Nutrients need to be taken in balance for proper synergy via plants foods.

6). Ditch the cashews

7). Cacao powder = could be high in phytic acid and dramatically leach iron

8). Do you soak those almonds?

As l see it, you could well be short of iron because you are eating lots of anti nutrients in your diet despite eating foods high in iron, + the low absorption rates of plant based iron don't help.

We want high bio-availablity of nutrients, but you would be getting low bio-availability of nutrients and you would be starving yourself.

Those fruits...hmmm. Are they fresh? How much nutrition in those...probably not much for someone new to the raw diet. Why not make room for higher quality foods that are fresh?

You have lots of high sugar foods. l don't know enough about sugars to make a proper comment, but some say it's not so good in a diet for various reasons.

Krill oil, fish oil....get rid of them! All are rancid oils and contain heavy metals. Read the book `Killer fish'.

Diet needs a complete re-think. Lower the toxins, lower the anti-nutrients and up the bioavailablity of nutrients.

Try to ditch the coffee if you can. Never have a green smoothie after the coffee, leave a few hours at least.

Some of these foods you have are called super foods, but the promotors don't tell you the dark side of superfoods. They need to be prepared properly to get the full effects. All foods need proper preparation.

Forget most blood tests (they provide false positives). It's not what's in the blood it's what you absorb that counts.

Computer is about to go off. l'll talk more later.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 10:42PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 16, 2013 06:38AM

arawnut Wrote:
> Thanks you for all of your posts. Okay,
> Sproutarian Man asked for diet and lifestyle to
> help. Writing it down for all of you made me
> realize I eat too much of the same foods. Here it
> is and I thought I was eating a variety.

Now it's time to get serious.

>
> Greens: Kale, Spinach, Romain Lettuce, Cucumbers,
> Cabbage, zucchini.

Are those vegetables fresh from the garden? If they are store bought they will not have the electrical frequency required to propel a long term high energy diet unless other high frequency foods are added to counteract these old foods. Eating old food is not a good idea. l also mentioned the potential problems of oxalic acid in some of those foods, and tannins. If you blend the foods it's not such a problem with anti nutrients because you won't be getting as many as with juiced greens (more concentrated), but evenstill....blending can alter electrical frequency also.

How long do you blend for?

Try blending water for 1 minute and then water a pot plant with it for one month and see what happens. This will teach you about electrical frequency and blending.

>
> Fruits: Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries
> and I eat bananas everyday, apples, mango,
> peaches, grapes, cherries.

Are they fresh? If not they will lack electrical frequency. That’s another nail in the coffin for the diet. That could be a bunch of half dead (no electrical frequency) fruits and vegetables taking up room in your diet. Also…unripe fruit is high in tannins. See, that is more anti-nutrients in your diet making your job harder.

>
> Supperfoods: Cacao powder, maca, ground flax seed
> spirulina, hemp seeds. Chia seeds.
Cacao = potentially high in phytic acid, so a big iron blocker. Probably lacks electrical frequency and other things too. Is it free from irradiation? That’s not food, it’s rubbish.

Chia seeds = are those sproutable? If not they are likely irradiated and will lack health giving electrical frequency. Also high in phytic acid and oxalic acid (anti nutrients) that can’t escape through soaking because those anti nutrients will collect in the gell. It’s potentially another disaster food.

Ground flax = still would have some phytic acid. Is it irradiated???...who really knows. Potentially another dead disaster food that lacks electrical frequency. Could well contain rancid oils too (the companies will never admit it of course).
Hemp seeds = does it have the hulls on? Could be irradiated or cooked and high in phytic acid. Are the oils stable? Could be another disaster food.
Spirulina = could be the only possible good food so far with electrical frequency, but needs to be had sparingly and separate from other foods so those extremely high tannin levels don’t bind with other minerals like zinc, calcium, iron etc.

>
> Fats: Avocado, Almonds, Cashews, Coconut
Are those avocado’s ripe and fresh, or were they transported to the shops hard? Potentially another disaster food. Need to be careful of those rancid omega 3’s too.
Almonds = are they raw almonds? Do you soak them for at least 24 hours to lower the phytic acid etc? Are they pasteurized or irradiated? How old are they? Do they have electrical frequency? Potentially another disasterous food.
Cashews = throw them out!!!

>
> These foods seem to be my staple. Not a lot of
> herbs. Once I wrote it down, I'm pretty basic.
>
> Tamukha, I've been raw for just over a year.
>
> My daily life activities:
> Get up and I drink a lot of coffee.
> Mountain Bike before work. avg. 30 min every other
> day. Then on Sunday 2 hrs. I love the trees and
> outdoors.
> Make my smoothie which changes with the above
> foods
> pack smoothies which is usually 2 32oz, like today

You take the smoothie with you to work??? Bad idea.

> some cherry tomatoes

Are those tomatoes fresh?
>
> bananas, with almond butter, topped with raw honey
> mashed up in a bowl, dates, dried figs.
You ,mix nuts with sweet fruits? Best not to do that. One concentrated food type at a time so you can get the most out of the food and keep digestion simple. .
Get rid of those sweet fruits. Why? Because they take up valuable time digesting these and don’t contribute enough to the diet for the time the take up with digestion. Use those 4 hours with good value foods like sea weeds and sprouted seeds or soaked fermented nuts and sea weeds…don’t waste those 4 hours on rubbish foods like sweet fruits. If you are going to have those sweet fruits, use them sparingly. Better to have them tree ripened and fresh. Are those sweet fruits fresh straight off the tree?

You don’t want to be wasting a good 4 hours on those sweet fruits, you want to spend the 4 hours on the good stuff. 4 hours is a big chunk out of your day, so make it count and eat the best stuff you can get.

If you want to eat store bought fruit, eat some berries or something. But don’t waste those valuable 4 hours eating sweet fruits because they will short change you everytime.
>
> wow, I've written a lot but here are the
> supplements I take. Women's mega active
> multi-vitamin. B complex, fish oil, krill oil,

I talked about the dark side of B vitamins earlier. Never a mega dose unless you are sick and chronically deficient in B vitamins. Never use them for a long term plan. If you insist on B vitamins, take them with small amounts on the dosage and take a diet highest in b vitamins.

I talked about fish and krill oil earlier.
> garlic.
>
> what do you use for an alternative to coffee?

??

Summery
Potentially, in the worst situation, potentially everything you include in your diet is a disaster zone except spirulina. NOW…having said that, it might not be as bad as that…depends on whether some of these are irradiated/cooked etc. It also depends on whether the fruit and vegetables you buy is ripe and fresh. It also depends on how long you blend you foods for. It also depends on how long you blended your food before consuming it. It also depends on how you combine your foods with other foods. It also depends on how you combine high anti nutrient foods. It also depends on how you prepare foods.
So…your diet could be a complete disaster, or it could be ¾ of a disaster, or maybe only half a disaster. L can’t be sure until you have answered the questions above.
The great news is that you have asked questions and we can do something to dramatically overhall your diet if you choose to do it.
Doing raw foods IS hard work. The raw food leaders make it sound easy and fun, but it’s not…it’s very hard work to do it well…it’s no picnic. Being raw vegan is even harder.
The key is: eat fresh (grow your food), prepare your food properly (reduce anti nutrients), juice fresh sprouted greens, minimize fruits unless fresh and ripe, mainly avoid sweet fruits (don’t give you the nutritional reward for the time they take up digesting), minimize blending time, have the juice and blended food there and then, eat raw food that isn’t irradiated, avoid packet powders/seeds etc (you never know if it is irradiated or not, + the phytic acid could come and bite you big time...packet foods are not always prepared right). Be your own farmer so know know what is being done to your food.
I am sure this stuff will blow you out, but sometimes we need a boot up the backside so we can do things better. Try to change at least 50% of the things you are doing.
All you need to do is sprout the seeds (have them at work with sea vegetables), sprout the greens, do some juicing, soak proper raw nuts and ferment them, have some fruit (minimal digestion time so you don’t waste too much time on it if it is not fresh and ripe).
• Green sprout juice for breakfast.
• Some fruit 30 mins later
• Might do spirulina an hour or two after that.
• Sea weeds for lunch followed by fermented nuts or sprouted seeds like chia/sesame/sunflower/flax (should fill you for at least 4 hours)…it’s a very very important meal, so make it count.
• Have some more light fruit late afternoon if need be
• Sprouted beans/lentils/grains for dinner with whatever else you might eat.
Also take the HHI vitamin D and B12, and ferment sprouted grain water for intestinal flora.
You can absolutely rock this raw diet if you want to, but you won’t do it by eating the stuff you are doing. Minimise the bad stuff in your diet) and maximize the great stuff!!!

www.thesproutarian.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables