Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to gain weight on the raw food diet?
Posted by: klaura ()
Date: June 13, 2013 02:46PM

Hi all

I am on day 15 of being raw. I have been underweight for many years and want to gain healthy weight! Since I started the raw food diet I've unfortunately lost some more weight. I weighed myself this morning (before breakfast) and was 87 pounds. yikes! I'm female and am a small person in general but would like to get up to 105 pounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to gain weight on the raw food diet?
Date: June 13, 2013 02:53PM

For breakfast I've been eating

cup of blueberries
3 bananas
some scoops of chia seeds soaked in water
flaxseed and coconut shavings on top

Lunch and Dinner vary a lot. The other day I ate a large Kale salad with peppers, tomato, mushrooms and grapes. I'm really unsure how much I should be eating and what I should be eating for lunch and dinner.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: June 13, 2013 07:33PM

Welcome to my world. I've been trying to not lose weight on raw vegan for 12 years so far with no luck. That's why you see all those photos of the raw vegans who look emaciated.

However, I don't think it's the fault of the RFD, but of the condition our health is in from years of an abusive SAD diet, and generations of cooked ancestors. That's why I'm still experimenting with 100% RFD and will not give up because of the fabulous health benefits and natural raw high.

Would you rather eat raw, look skinny but feel fabulous, or eat SAD and look good, but feel like crap.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:20AM

Filling up on carbs late in the day, esp. before bed will have a tendency to put on some weight for you.

YMMV...but it does work for bodybuilders, even vegan ones.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:44PM

I have a tendency to get too skinny if I don't watch out. What helps me is eating about 10-12 bananas a day. I do smoothies twice a day with 5-6 bananas in them. Then of course I eat salads, etc. too. But bananas are what helps me maintain the weight. I am 5,6 and weight 132 pounds on average, which is a little heavier than I ideally should be, but I prefer it that way.
Adding extra nuts and seeds in the diet is a sure way to gain weight too. But I personally prefer extra carbs to extra fat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 02:45PM by littlemermaid.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:03PM

all we are made up of is fat, bone, muscle(for my intent and purpose).
obviously we are lots of other things too like water mainly, but I am explaining the idea that we are supposed to have fat or muscle on us. so sure, if you want to gain fat then mix fats and sugars all the time. If you have insulin loose in your blood you won't metabolize fats during that time. so it sticks to our thighs!
if you want muscle then do resistance training, lift weights and stuff. If you want water weight, eat salt.
so as you see we live with this image illusion like some of us should be bigger or some of us should be smaller. its just mental. BE STRONG!

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: June 16, 2013 04:38AM

People generally gain weight because they consume more calories than they burn off. DEFINITELY don't stop exercising, but you WILL liely need more calories. Get some favorite high-calorie staples like this banana breakfast: [fresherthanlife.com] or this granola: [fresherthanlife.com], or even this chocolate pie: [fresherthanlife.com]

Date: June 17, 2013 02:57AM

Thanks everyone!

I am adding more bananas in. I also realized I'm not eating nearly as many calories as I need. It looks like a lot in front of me but considering it's less dense food than a pasta plate, I need to account for that!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:21PM

I would suggest NOT adding bananas or any sugar for that matter. Like I tell everyone, get a Live Blood Analysis and see if you have some yeast or parasites! This is the ONLY way to be SURE. These infections can wreak havoc on the hormones and no matter what you do you will not gain weight if this is your condition. Hormones dictate weather you gain weight or not. Use a digestine enhancer and eat sprouted grains! and sprouted beans if you like. The beans tend to be harder for most to digest, gassy. You can blah blah blah all you want but until we do tests we don't know. Make sure you work out on this diet or you probably won't gain weight in your condition. Hope this helps. Whoop Whoop see ya.

Date: October 20, 2013 08:08AM

Two parts to the equation in my experience to gain good weight.

1). Eat a nutritious high amino acid/carb diet
2). Weight resistance exercises (essential).

I lose weight on the raw diet easy, but as soon as l do alittle bit of weights, it's like BAM, l fill out very quickly. And all on very few calories.

The foods which make it easy to gain muscle:
* fermented sprouted seeds (low in fat, but high in fatty acids)
* fermented nuts
* fermented sprouted grains (great for carbs and energy and can help build muscle good too)
* fermented sprouted lentils (when had with grains the amino acid content is much higher)
* green sprout juices, especially those sunflower greens
* fermented algaes
* fermented seaweeds

Forget about stuffing it all in and counting calories, just eat the fresh highly nutritious foods in predigested form and do resistance exercises and the weight comes on easy/. Just my experience, and it gives you a sense of confidence because you don't have to stress out about calories and eating like a horse.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2013 01:10PM

I briefly went through a period where I was slightly underweight on raw because I was doing a lot of cleanses. So I paid a lot more attention to the calories I was consuming until I got back on track. Now I'm pretty good at making sure I get plenty of calories throughout the day.

I eat a lot of high calorie fruits & use superfoods to help assure my intake is high enough. Fats have a lot of calories, but I try to keep them minimal.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables