Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

skin
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: June 16, 2013 06:01PM

hey everyone

I am wondering if anybody has some tips on how to whiten skin?? I am interested in doing more to get my skin back to its normal color ( pale). I would like to eat foods that do this, however, if anyone recommends any other options that are natural, I would love to hear this.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: skin
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: June 16, 2013 07:35PM

Just curious, what caused your skin to change from pale to the skin color it is today?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 17, 2013 12:29AM

I'm confused as well. What color is it now? :/

Date: June 17, 2013 12:53AM

Thanks for the reply. well, for a while it was more pale and now it is olive. I was wearing a fondation that did not have a sunscreen... and I think that is what did it.

It still is pretty fair, but I want to keep it light and not sure what to wear for makeup or even how to make it more even?

I have been eating more carrots and beta carotene...

I was paler when I was not doing raw, is that weird?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 17, 2013 01:51AM

it makes sense that raw would bring out some color to your skin. why do you not want to be olive? just curious. i don't know how to lighten it, sorry. unless you want to try being unhealthy/not well nourished and see if that brings paleness back.

Date: June 17, 2013 02:11AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it makes sense that raw would bring out some color
> to your skin. why do you not want to be olive?
> just curious. i don't know how to lighten it,
> sorry. unless you want to try being unhealthy/not
> well nourished and see if that brings paleness
> back.

Obviously, I don't want the latter suggestion or I would not be on heresmiling smiley

I guess being olive is not soo bad, just need to accept myself more.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: June 17, 2013 05:51AM

I would imagine that just limiting exposure to sunlight would bring back the paleness in time.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:09AM

In "The Science and Fine Art of Natural Hygiene", Herbert Shelton writes, “Man is naturally a nude animal and his body needs and should have the daily contact with the sun and air that it received before man learned to cover himself. The air alone, when playing upon the body, occasions increased metabolism. Let's briefly state the greater evils of clothing:

1) They exclude the sun and air from the body.

2) They bind the excretions of the body upon it and necessitate too frequent bathing. Clothing causes us to literally wallow in our own excretions.

3) They weaken the powers of the skin and cripple its power to quickly adapt itself to weather changes.

4) They interfere more or less with freedom of movement and hamper body development.

5) Tight bands, garters, corsets, etc., interfere both with movement and with circulation and, also, cramp the internal organs.

6) Shoes are the cause of about ninety percent of our foot troubles.

7) Clothes tend to create an air of mystery and one of shame about the body. They are potent factors in producing and maintaining prudery.

8) Clothes help to produce and maintain licentiousness and immorality. Instead of being aids to chastity, morality and modesty, they are hindrances.

By shutting out from the body, the air and sunshine; by creating an unclean body; by necessitating too frequent bathing; by restricting the movements of the body; by interfering with circulation; by cramping the organs of the body; by inducing prudery and licentiousness; by weakening the skin and limiting its resistance to environment; and by lessening the adaptive powers of the skin; clothes are distinctly EVIL and disease producing.”

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 17, 2013 03:07PM

Michele, what is wrong with olive skin? Maybe you need to get out of Wisconsin?

Signed, a proud olive-skinned woman.

*Edit: I don't know why but it bothered me to read what you wrote. I have always had a lot of color to my skin. In the summer I can get quite dark and when I was a kid it was even more pronounced. Because I grew up in a diverse area, it was never something that was called to my attention but upon reflection I have always wondered if I was viewed as "different" by my totally Caucasian classmates (I am half-Hispanic). I know that Wisconsin is even more White than Cook County, IL, especially in certain pockets. So I suppose you might stick out quite a bit. I don't know your ethnicity but if you feel different, than it really doesn't matter.

The thing that bothered me is that of course you should accept yourself! When I first read your question I wondered why you would want to be lighter but was hoping it was due to blotchy skin or something. Anyway, I just wanted to express that. It may have come across as snarky but if you are facing prejudice, then it's probably not the place to be, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 03:16PM by banana who.

Date: June 17, 2013 04:26PM

And you had written later: "I guess it's not sooo bad..." Why would it be BAD at all? If other people have a problem with it, wouldn't THEIR attitude be "bad?" Do you really prefer to look pale for an aesthetic reason? My dad cannot get a tan because he's a pink Irish dude. He only gets red in the Sun. But look at all the pale faces trying to get that golden hue and then get back to me about what is preferred...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2013 06:03PM

I have some issues with hyper pigmentation from my last pregnancy that never went away and get worse in the summer months despite a daily application of high end high spf sunscreen to the face. It's a pain in the toockas because it's BLOTCHY! I love being olive, I simply want to be the same olive all over, lol.

Sunscreen. Proper gentle careful regular exfoliation (see a professional to get you started or try this [www.gardenofwisdom.com] ). Wear a hat, always.

Date: June 17, 2013 06:18PM

Coco, my mom got the same thing after pregnancy. I think they said it was due to hormonal levels. She used this stuff called Esoterica. I don't know if they still sell it because I think there was some controversial ingredient in it.

What about lemon juice for the blotches? That SPF crap seems suspect, unless there is a natural substance and then the Sun cannot get in to even the tan...

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: June 18, 2013 12:24AM

michelemm, You're gonna want that "beta carotene" protection" if you ever move to L.A.

My skin is naturally olive, but I eat so much watermelon that I tend to the "orange glow" of a carrot juicer when I tan.

This thread made me think of my favorite Steal Pulse song.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 18, 2013 04:40AM

banana who Wrote:
> Michele, what is wrong with olive skin? Maybe you
> need to get out of Wisconsin?
>
> Signed, a proud olive-skinned woman.
>
> *Edit: I don't know why but it bothered me to read
> what you wrote. I have always had a lot of color
> to my skin. In the summer I can get quite dark and
> when I was a kid it was even more pronounced.
> Because I grew up in a diverse area, it was never
> something that was called to my attention but upon
> reflection I have always wondered if I was viewed
> as "different" by my totally Caucasian classmates
> (I am half-Hispanic). I know that Wisconsin is
> even more White than Cook County, IL, especially
> in certain pockets. So I suppose you might stick
> out quite a bit. I don't know your ethnicity but
> if you feel different, than it really doesn't
> matter.
>
> The thing that bothered me is that of course you
> should accept yourself! When I first read your
> question I wondered why you would want to be
> lighter but was hoping it was due to blotchy skin
> or something. Anyway, I just wanted to express
> that. It may have come across as snarky but if you
> are facing prejudice, then it's probably not the
> place to be, IMO.

Thanks for the clarification.I am not leaving WI anytime soon unfortunately for 2 years! Then I am heading to CA. I guess I just thought that used to look more youthful with a paler complexion, but really, I am embracing who I am. I had to rethink why I felt like paler was healthier?? Maybe because of all the junk about skin damage, cancer... I was so used to covering up for so long, but now I am just "being". I have to admit, I am glowing more with more vegetables and something is different since I am raw. I appreciate your feedback.

Nope, I am not prejudice and haven't experienced it from others.. except that I act like a total New Yorker and people kind of make fun of me about it.

Oh, well!

Date: June 18, 2013 04:43AM

thank you for the different perspectives. Totally made me look at things differently. I am what I am.

I need to not worry what others think about me. Someone told me I eat weird yesterday because all I eat is salad. Then, I usually get comments about the thinness.. as soon as I start losing weight which is happening.

"no wonder you are so skinny" all you do is eat salads like a bird.... blah blah blah...

One revelation: I was holding onto weight to please others and I done doing this. I like me.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2013 06:18AM

i find since the big vampire movie trend the last few years women are leaning towards looking emaciated and pale

this .. is .. not .. normal...

paleness is a sign of illness .. weakness ..

embrace your color

i am slightly pale with a buttload of freckles (irish/indian background) i hardly tan more then i burn ..my twin brother tans like a greek god lol

acceptance Michelle smiling smiley don't buy into the status quo

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 18, 2013 01:57PM

You know what's funny? There is a "whiter shade of pale" that I find exquisite. I love that look of red hair and pale skin. It's Irish.

What is hilarious is that I have been to this Polish shop twice recently and had staff speak to me in Polish! And I was tempted to ask the woman: "Do I look Polish to you?"

My dad loves to tell the story about when I was a baby and a stranger asked: "What is she?" I assume this was because our skin tones and general appearance (Dad and I) were so dissimilar.

My dad's answer: "She's a little girl." smiling smiley

Date: June 18, 2013 07:01PM

Well, I went for a professional facial today to see if that would help any but no. While my skin is glowing and fresh, the pigmentation hasn't altered any at all. It's not a huge issue, just one of those small things that bugs me on occassion. I can live with it.

Date: June 19, 2013 01:01AM

I bet you are beautiful, Coco. And... really, it is more importantly how we feel. I just had to do a presentation on self awareness and how we place so much emphasis on "looking right" to fit into society. Media plays a huge role.

Interesting regarding the Polish comment. I am German and French, a tiny bit Irish. However, I am constantly being told I "look" Jewish.. or people just say things like Happy Hanukkah to be out of the blue. I just laugh, though.And, really what does Jewish look like for Pete's sake. ???

Right.. constantly working on approving of myself. Just as I am. This includes my diet and what I feel best eating.

Good point on the paleness and vampire.

Date: June 19, 2013 01:13AM

Did you say you were from NY? It could be that whole accent thingie if you TAWK LAW-YKE THAHHT. Just teasing...I have a girlfriend who sounds exactly like Fran Drescher...I think Fran is Jewish, no?

Actually, I am sounding more and more like that "SNL" skit: DAH BARE-SSSSS!

Date: June 19, 2013 04:47PM

Aw, thanks Michele smiling smiley. I do like myself, it's hard to know a person for so many years and not develop some fondness for them, you know? I've gotten used to this face and body, it's been a fun ride so far winking smiley.
The only time I feel less than ok about myself is when I try looking thru another person's eyes. That's a no-no, it's meaningless and troublesome and just plain dumb. I've given up on that...

Date: June 20, 2013 04:14AM

coco Wrote:
> Aw, thanks Michele smiling smiley. I do like myself, it's hard
> to know a person for so many years and not develop
> some fondness for them, you know? I've gotten used
> to this face and body, it's been a fun ride so far
> winking smiley.
> The only time I feel less than ok about myself is
> when I try looking thru another person's eyes.
> That's a no-no, it's meaningless and troublesome
> and just plain dumb. I've given up on that...

I really need to take this advice and put it to use. I like your perspective. I am so darn hard on myself and it can be crippling. Today, I felt sooo guilty and not healthy because I used two teaspoon of olive oil on my salad ( WAS HUGE) and I also used some sea salt. Seriously, they are not even the worse things out there, but I think it was more about the fact that I was not eating to fill my hunger, I overate the salad and then felt way too full.... not comfortable. I am trying to work on smaller portions because I often eat to avoid doing other things. Even though it is salad and vegetables, I am often too full and that doesn't feel right. Plus, I know it is not good for the digestive system.

However, I was at the gym for 2 hours and had not eaten in about 6 hours at least. Still, inexcusable for my eating behavior. Working on trying to just enjoy my food which is so important and RELAX.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: June 22, 2013 11:14PM

Olive and dark skin are beautiful! Celebrate yourself!

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: June 25, 2013 03:45AM

fresherthanlife Wrote:
> Olive and dark skin are beautiful! Celebrate
> yourself!

That felt really good to hear, thank you for this. Made me smile.

Date: June 26, 2013 04:03PM

There is not really one look that I find preferable to others. I think there is so much beauty all around. Dark skin or light, slim or rounded bodies, old, young and everything in between.
This to me is such gorgeousness.

And one more, just because...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables