Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Trying vegan
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 04, 2013 11:05PM

Hello everyone,
Its been awhile, I had a visit for several months to a year on basically a sad diet. I experienced some pretty terrible things. I had a hospital visit that I am pretty sure was caused by consuming an animal product. But its taken a few months for me to put 2 and 2 together. In fact the hospital didn't figure it out with all the elaborate tests. And at that point neither me or the hospital would have suspected that might have been a problem. I am so glad I am still here. I found out some other information that my visit could have turned out for the worse.

In any case my problem is now almost completely gone! I really thought that I would be suffering and limping for the rest of my life. All I did was a fast and cut out refined foods, meat and dairy. I also do meditation, and I have a homemade grounding pad I started using again. I am amazed that even a cooked vegan diet could do so much, even for just a few days. I feel glad with my new perspective. I honestly thought that vegans were just making stuff up about animal foods, even while trying raw foods. I always had difficulty getting around a standard sense of nutrition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying vegan
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 01:15PM

Mislu, So glad that you have found what's real for you. Glad that you are better, too. I, myself, came to raw veganism due to health reasons after realizing that doctors couldn't do much to fix my ongoing ailments. Each peron must find their own truth.

I would like to know more about your homemade ground pad. I've read about "earthing" but the items were super expensive. Could you pls share details on how you made it? I'm not sure if I could follow the instructions but I'd like to try. Thanks. Therese

Date: July 20, 2013 08:50PM

Life 101,
I'm not completely raw. I had attempted it several years ago, but I think it was too much to adjust to all at once. So, I have gone vegan, or nearly so. I am discovering that animal products creep into so many items, its difficult to check for every ingredient, and I discover that sometimes the product contains it...or 'might' contain dairy or something else... But I am removing them whenever I discover it. I may try raw and vegan after a few months to a year of vegan. I am thinking that it might be an easier and more perm transition over all.

My first grounding experience was using a cable from a steamer that broke. I just removed the wire and trimmed off the plug. Although at the time I didn't know how isolate the hot wires, so I just removed the whole prong, electric plug in whatever its called.

I then stripped the insulation off using a stripping tool one can get at a hardware store. I wrapped the copper coil around a piece of metal from a metal hanger and inserted it into the 'mouth' of the wall outlet. The one that is the most round and unpaired is the ground. I stay away from the 'eyes' of the outlet. Thats kind of a concern, and why a purchased grounding set is probably much safer, but I haven't had any problem. The other end of the wire I wrapped around another piece of hanger, I bend into a round shape and either put it around my wrist or ankle. Sometimes I used a chain of paperclips as a necklace. Or just taped direcly to the bottom of my foot.

However, after my trip the the hospital, I threw it out. For some reason me and my partner thought that it might have caused the problem. But I am sure now that it was NOT the problem. As I started doing grounding again, and its not a problem and its actually helping with my continued recovery. In fact if I am too lazy to plug it in I will feel more pain and sensitivity in my feet.

My new set up is just a chain of paperclips attached to a number of metal plates from a curtain set. The first paperclip is carefully bent to fit into the 'mouth' so it doesn't come out too easily.

I usually sit on the plates, or put my foot or feet on it when I am reading or working on the computer. I would caution however that you do not use this when there are thunderstorms, you could get shocked. I bet that a wire attached to a metal watch or ankle bracelet would work. Maybe some folded strips of aluminum foil that are woven into a sort of mat might work. I don't know about the contact with the skin, maybe that is not so great. The offical grounding pads use silver wires woven in fabric, so I am sure its safer and more comfortable. If I were a bit more tech savy I would make a pair of shoes or socks with gold plated threading, something like that. It would be nice if there was a conductive material which was natural and not metal. I am sure there must be something, I just don't know what that would be right now.

I am thinking that chain mail armour would work. My brother was in society of creative anachronism and some of the members were really good at creating chain mail that looked authentic and as comfortable enough to wear all day. I am not sure what they used for safety and comfort. Although I don't know how many people in SCA would be also into grounding, health, veganism etc...LOL.

Date: July 20, 2013 09:27PM

Life 101,
Here is a link about outlets.It explains which is ground. MIght be different in other countries than the US.
[electronics.howstuffworks.com]

Chain mail...LOL, I am imagining wearing that at the computer. It would work if one had a significant skin contact, probably not too comfortable. If there were a finer grade more akin to fabric that would be much better.
[www.imperialweapons.com]

Seek and you shall find...fine chainmail shirt. I would wear that for hours...is it in my size, and what does it cost...is there an mans version? Just find a way to attach to a cord would be the thing.
[blogs.sun-sentinel.com]

[www.darkknightarmoury.com]

other chainmail items..
[www.etsy.com]

I suppose at those prices one would be better off buying an official grounding pad. However, there are creative people making chain mail out of paperclips. [alakatesh.deviantart.com]

Date: July 21, 2013 06:37PM

Mislu, Thanks so much for the info on grounding. At first I was horrified that you were electrifying yourself! Then, I realized you are using the ground portion of the outlet. Whew! Thank goodnes, you're okay.

I think I will try to step on the grass barefoot and see what that does. I was afraid of ant bites so I've been avoiding it.

Sorry about your bout in the hospital.

Grounding reminds me a bit of parasite zapping but one is using an electrical current for that rather than grounding.

Thank so much. I will further investigate. Therese

Date: July 21, 2013 09:11PM

Therese,
I just remembered a way easier, and probably way safer grounding method. You can attach a wire loop around a metal pipe, as metal plumbing is grounded as long as it is continuous with the earth. Most people only get grounding when they are taking a shower or a bath.

A swim in a natural body of water is also a source of grounding. I suppose you could run a wire directly to the ground and run it through a window or other space and use it that way. No fear of an outlet. There is a precaution, if I haven't mentioned it, don't use when there is a thunderstorm.

The hospital thing, that was difficult to figure out, but I am pretty sure that it was caused by something nobody would have suspected. I am kind of afraid to mention it, but I guess I caused my own problem. My partner suspected that it was contaminated with heavy metals or something but, I figure it doesn't need to be contaminated.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:51PM

I want to get back to the topic title. I have done that too, go back to SAD for a period of time. It usually takes place after I think I can have just one meal, and then I am addicted again. So I muster up my will power, just say no to .... in the moment a moment at a time, and after 3 weeks of going clean again, I am good to go for the duration. What serves me best is high raw, that is where I feel the best. Baby steps and support (having a raw meal with others) helps. I am the only one I know who is really eating this way around me. I accept others and try to live by example. Good for you to be making conscious choices again, Mislu. Peace.

Date: July 22, 2013 11:16PM

Vermont,
well, I was under the influence of my partner and his family. But we are now more in synch going vegan. He said something which I didn't understand. Hes critical of it thinking that its not a wonder because he still has some problems. He pointed out that I still complain about somethings. I did gain a lot of benefits in a short time, but I think I plateaued. Its easy to forget the gains. Maybe its time for me to bring things up a notch.

Whats amazing to me is how little it takes to feel a difference when one 'cheats'. My partner bought something with processed sugar, and some cream in it as candy. a few pieces seem so 'innocent'. We both had some, and we both instantly felt sick.

On a good note, I persuaded him to buy flaxseed oil for omega 3 over fish oil. He was so sure that fish oil is 'ok'. And I am telling him that its so polluted, even the 'distilled' doesn't get rid of the majority of stuff thats really important. I encouraged him to get algae epa/dha, but its really out of our price point. so flax it is. I am hoping that it will do until I or he get more income.

But I am just so cautious now and suspect of anything which even contains even small amounts of animal stuff. Its awful how supplement companies will market stuff and make it sound so innocent or beneficial. Thats what got me in trouble. I suppose there are some herbs and other stuff that might be harmful also, so I will need to research things better.

Date: July 23, 2013 01:12AM

Mislu, Thanks for the additional info. I found some bands on Amazon that aren't too expensive. I might try them out next month. You're right. I always feel better after taking a shower.

Eating anything outside of my normal modified, gluten-free, raw vegan diet makes me sick, too. So sad in a way. I used to really enjoy eating at restaurants and now it's more like punishment. Way over priced for a few leaves of lettuce that are wilted and I leave still hungry, to boot.

I'm still tweaking my diet, too. I would like to get closer to 100% raw vegan but my body feels like it's missing something if I stray too far from my current diet. Having severe anemia doesn't help, either.

vermontnl, Good for you that you have found what works for you.

Therese

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 06:15PM

Good for you Mislu, eating animal products is a slow death, very slow that is why people don't really get it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables