Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Not eating enough greens
Posted by: evelynhg88 ()
Date: July 22, 2013 08:31AM

I've been transitioning to raw from vegan for a while now and I find that I can never really get enough of the recommended amount of greens. I usually get 5~6 cups of spinach down in a smoothie for breakfast and that's about it.

I live and go to school in Asia (Taipei, Taiwan to be exact) so my daily schedule is a little bit different. I'm usually out the door at 8am and home at 10pm, spending the whole day on campus. Breakfast is pretty much the only meal I have at home. I don't drive so it's hard to bring around a huge salad or a giant smoothie. Fruits are easy to find since there are fruit markets everywhere in Taipei, but I haven't found a good alternative for greens on the go. There are no salad bars, Whole Foods, or anything even remotely close. They seem to think of giant salads here as alien food. Sometimes I can go for days eating just fruits and no greens at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not eating enough greens
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:58PM

There are so many choices for greens, including 'weeds'. I would not likely eat the weeds in the city if they are near pollution sources (car exhaust), but in parks that do not use chemicals I may eat. A little of wild has lots of nutrition, so one does not need to consume alot of them, but only do this is you are familiar with wild plants!

Herbs are also very high in nutrition and therefore one does not need a lot of these foods (quantity). So is there at the market cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, lemongrass, etc? There are probably more greens around than you know.

I like a bite of fruit and a bite of greens, ... This is what works for me.

Best to you.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:48PM

Also carrot tops, beet greens, even cabbage are leaves just not dark green leaves, onion tops, etc. There are sooo many greens with so many different flavors. Have fun.

Date: July 22, 2013 10:15PM

evelynhg88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been transitioning to raw from vegan for a
> while now and I find that I can never really get
> enough of the recommended amount of greens. I
> usually get 5~6 cups of spinach down in a smoothie
> for breakfast and that's about it.
>
> I live and go to school in Asia (Taipei, Taiwan to
> be exact) so my daily schedule is a little bit
> different. I'm usually out the door at 8am and
> home at 10pm, spending the whole day on campus.
> Breakfast is pretty much the only meal I have at
> home. I don't drive so it's hard to bring around a
> huge salad or a giant smoothie. Fruits are easy to
> find since there are fruit markets everywhere in
> Taipei, but I haven't found a good alternative for
> greens on the go. There are no salad bars, Whole
> Foods, or anything even remotely close. They seem
> to think of giant salads here as alien food.
> Sometimes I can go for days eating just fruits and
> no greens at all.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Your situation is hard. l would make an effort to get a quality green in once per day and juice it if you can. Try:

* sprouting a large jar of clover sprouts each day and drink those. That is 5 - 6 jars to manage in all, and easy to dehull the sprouts and cheap to do. That would really help.
* have 2 tablespoons of dulse in water each day
* have sprouted hulled sunflower seeds each day for lunch after the dulse.

(The dulse and sunflower seeds are compact and easy to pack, + the sunflower sprouts only take a day so the workload growing them is minimal).

At least you are getting a highly potent green drink and a highly potent sea vegetable and a highly potent meaty meal (sprouted seeds). It's quick and easy work and potent. Build the rest of you diet around this and see how it goes for a while.

If you have the money try getting E3 Live for the EPA fatty acids.

This is a good start for someone in your situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2013 10:18PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 22, 2013 11:20PM

The thing is...doing all raw is a lifestyle, so l wouldn't even try doing 100% until you have the time to dedicate properly to the lifestyle. l would just add in as many raw foods as you could until you have the time to do it properly. It's not quite as simple as eating lots of fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds....things need to be done well to be sustainable on a raw vegan diet.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 24, 2013 06:34AM

there are such things as lunch totes and blue ice
you can use both

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:42PM

You live where they grow chlorella & spirulina. They're great for when you need an extra source of greens. Chlorella is especially handy because it tastes good & can easily be used for portable meals. You can just mix the powder with water for a soup or sprinkle on veggies.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:38AM

GilmoreGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You live where they grow chlorella & spirulina.
> They're great for when you need an extra source of
> greens. Chlorella is especially handy because it
> tastes good & can easily be used for portable
> meals. You can just mix the powder with water for
> a soup or sprinkle on veggies.

When was the last time a family had a meal of chlorella & spirulina at the dinner table and every one was so excited and children were licking their fingers? These are not foods. There are plenty of greens to make tasty salads. The goitrogenic/oxalate argument is not proven by evidence, we all should be dead by now, after so many years of juicing greens, eating greens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 03:42AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:20AM

It would be interesting to examine the kidneys of folks who eat high oxalic acid foods, and it would be good to see how much one is absorbing from high anti nutrient foods. Health problems can take a long time to rear their heads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables