Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

any insights into wheatgrass and gluten issue
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2013 07:46PM

i confess
i have not done much research regarding wheatgrass
and i am not gluten intolerant ( don't get any "reactions" with wheatgrass)
however, with all this talk and hype about gluten free this and gluten free that in stores , it made me wonder

does all the inflammation stuff they talk about being related to wheat also apply to
wheatgrass

i hope not
wheatgrass is not my staple
but i'd like to do more of it

so i was just wondering
if anyone had any insights to this

seems like the benefits would far outweight any minuses
whadya think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: any insights into wheatgrass and gluten issue
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:16PM

i dont think so LaV the gluten part i beleive is in the grain part. Where I have trouble with wheat grain .. i have no problem with wheatgrass shots smiling smiley love the stuff smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 09, 2013 09:43PM

hmmm.. interesting jgunn
thanks for a profile of your reaction to grain vs wheat

Date: August 10, 2013 02:44AM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i confess
> i have not done much research regarding
> wheatgrass
> and i am not gluten intolerant ( don't get any
> "reactions" with wheatgrass)
> however, with all this talk and hype about gluten
> free this and gluten free that in stores , it made
> me wonder
>
> does all the inflammation stuff they talk about
> being related to wheat also apply to
> wheatgrass
>
> i hope not
> wheatgrass is not my staple
> but i'd like to do more of it
>
> so i was just wondering
> if anyone had any insights to this
>
> seems like the benefits would far outweight any
> minuses
> whadya think?

Wheatgrass is tolerated by celiac pateints at Hippocrates Health Institute and other places.

Even fermented wheat sprouts are tolerated by gluton intolerant patients. Only a very small amount of gluton left in fermented grains.

Highly Efficient Gluten Degradation by Lactobacilli and Fungal Proteases during Food Processing: New Perspectives for Celiac Disease
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Sourdough Bread Made from Wheat and Nontoxic Flours and Started with Selected Lactobacilli Is Tolerated in Celiac Sprue Patients
[aem.asm.org]

Lectins are also believed to be removed by growing grass, and they certainly are by fermenting wheat sprouts at ideal temperitures. Wheatgrass and ryegrass is also low in tannins despite Dr Jubb trying to illude that such foods are high in these tannins. In fact, ryegrass has no tannins in it at all and nutrients are absorbed despite what Dr Jubb says about green juices starving the body of nutrients.

Had in small amounts, grass juice from the old gluten grains is good stuff.

Date: August 10, 2013 03:52AM

Another interesting point about fermenting is bringing the raw diet into true nutritional balance. For eg, l was reading a post by `powerlifter' the other day and they were mentioning something about the copper - iron ratio being way out and how copper levels were too high in the raw diet. Now that is very very true, BUT...what they didn't address was how we can bring the copper and iron into proper balance via fermentation of raw foods. Fermenting doesn't influence copper absorption, but it highly influences things like iron and zinc absorption many times. It can also influence calcium, manganese, beta carotene, vitamin D and many other things. See, we are not meant to eat many things straight from the tree (some fruits excepted), we are meant to process them correctly to bring the foods into proper balance. People can argue all they like and say that it isn't natural to do that, but..the science is there to support it, and your body will tell you what's right.

Ya know...fermenting a carrot increases the beta carotene absorption from a carrot about 600%.

Could food preparation be a form of karma from straying from our original path?? Lots of interesting philosophies could be argued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 03:56AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 10:34PM

I tried wheatgrass one time before I knew I had Celiac's disease and I felt like a bomb went off inside of me. Not sure that was a healthy reaction. Whenever I've drunk or eaten anything that was charged with life, I felt energized and positive. The reaction with wheat grass was uncomfortable like someone stuck a plunger down my throat.

Maybe, it was just me. After discovering I have Celiac's, I have stayed away from wheatgrass since they state that the grain may be caught into the juice when juicing. Also, my reaction the previous time I juiced wheat grass wasn't pleasant.

I've eaten lots of Kimchi in my lifetime and have never had digestive problems with fermented foods. Now, I make vegan Kimchi rarely. I hear that it is a great restorative, healing food for the intestines. I have radish to make it in the refrigerator but haven't taken the time to make it.

Therese

Date: August 11, 2013 08:59PM

thank you sproutman for the insights , much appreciated
how do you ferment your wheatgrass ( did you post about that before, if so, let me know and I'll do a search for it.. i loose track, sometimes of what gets posted and i know you've posted a lot on various subjects)

hey storm, the article u provided is interesting

i agree that mold is what causes people to become very nauseated with wheatgrass

the growing conditions in trays IS unnatural
they are not allowed to grow for the full duration of time that is needed for it to mature

one thing i wish to scrutinize is the reason they give for mold occurring
they say it is not only due to the warm temperature (wheatgrass naturally grows in colder regions without mold) but also due to the fact that the seeds are too close together thus the roots get entangled which is a perfect breeding ground for mold

well, if that is the case, what about OTHER sprouts... what conditions should they be grown in in order to prevent the problem of mold

i would assume that wheatgrass is not the only thing that is prone to those conditions

Date: August 12, 2013 04:34AM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thank you sproutman for the insights , much
> appreciated
> how do you ferment your wheatgrass ( did you post
> about that before, if so, let me know and I'll do
> a search for it.. i loose track, sometimes of what
> gets posted and i know you've posted a lot on
> various subjects)

l just add in rejuvalic (fermented wheat sprout water) to it and drink. l suppose you could also soak the wheatgrass in rejuvalic for half a day before juicing too, no nutrients should be lost.

l talk about making rejuvalic in the fermenting thread.

l now ferment everything except fruit, but l am even considering doing that. Fermenting adds taste to the food also. Actually, fermenting does many many great things. It is essential with raw foods.

Lots of failure on raw vegan diets, but we never learn from people's past mistakes because we think we are going to be different, so we gone down the same path as they did. We have got to start doing raw different from how we have been doing it.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 04:38AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: August 12, 2013 07:49AM

<<l just add in rejuvalic (fermented wheat sprout water) to it and drink. l suppose you could also soak the wheatgrass in rejuvalic for half a day before juicing too, no nutrients should be lost. >>

hey sproutman

thanks for this
so, i guess there is a choice of soaking the wheatgrass ( or any other veggie or sprout) BEFORE juicing it or AFTER, right?

i mean, i guess i was thinking of blending too
which i guess would be easier to do if a grass or veggie is soaked BEFORE
but if you already juice it, how long do you wait after you pour in some rejuvelac
before drinking it?

thanks much for the info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables