Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

All I eat is supermarket fruit & veg sad smiley
Posted by: LuckyRawVegan ()
Date: August 11, 2013 08:58PM

I've been worried about this for a while.

I've been on and off a raw vegan diet for 2 years now but done a solid 10 months of 100% raw, mainly eating fruit.

However, all my food comes from big supermarkets. The farmers markets in my local area are made up of meat, jams & potatoes. Not really any fruit & veg & I don't have any space to grow my own.

I live in the UK & most of the food I get is grown half way around the world. What ever is organically available I get because I know it's better that conventional. But I know what I am eating is the lowest quality fruit and veg there is.

Sometimes I have to go to 4 different supermarkets to find a near enough ripe avocado or any other fruit. I just see it an dead fruit with no life force or vibrational energy but it's the only fruit I currently have access too. I have never eaten food that has come straight off the tree or from ground sad smiley

Will this effect me in the long run, eating all this dead unripe supermarket fruit?

I try to get an array of fruit and veg so I get the nutrition I need. But ideally I would love to just be a fruitarian.

It makes me sad seeing all these videos and pictures of raw Foodists and fruitarians eating locally or home grown food sad smiley I'm working towards this goal though. It's coming to me!!! smiling smiley

I just wanted some opinions on this and to see if it will really effect me in the future.

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All I eat is supermarket fruit & veg sad smiley
Date: August 11, 2013 10:06PM

Do you strictly subscribe to the Natursal Hygene philosophy?

Have you considered sprouting some greens and seeds? What about picking a bunch of edible weeds? What about some raw sea weeds?

l do not feel very positive about supermarket fruit. You know what...lots of supermarket fruit is now irradiated. I found a document which talks about this wide spread practise and l have inside info that this does occur. The supermarkets want the fruit to last longer.

Sometimes we can't practise what we want to due to where we live. So be it. They key is to eat fresh food, we all know that.

In my town l am told that the two large supermarket chains co-own a wearhouse where all the irradiation is done. I am not sure about other smaller supermarkets and small fruit shops though. But the document l have read doesn't show a rosy picture (l think l saved the document too...l will post it when l can find it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 10:15PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: August 11, 2013 10:20PM

Actually, a quick search picked this up, from all places, Wiki lol.

[en.wikipedia.org]

A bunch of organic food in health food shops is also irradiated in my country. l feel lots of nuts are also treated this way so they don't go moldy.

That's why it is good to sprout your foods....you work out what is irradiated and what is not.

Lots of chia seeds are irradiated, yet people consider this a health food and have it in smoothies. They also get a double wammy because they get low absorption of nutrients due to the phytic acids, oxalic acids and tannins. It is promoted as a health food, but in the way most people consume it, it is far from a health food. That's the thing...lots of things are promoted as superfoods, but they are far from being superfoods. Lots of foods are promoted as high in nutrition, but it doesn't mean we can access those nutrients. The raw food movement has well and truely been conned.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 10:27PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Cypher_X ()
Date: August 12, 2013 02:12AM

I eat supermarket fruits and vegetables because I cannot afford to buy it organic.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 12, 2013 02:20AM

LRV, I eat from grocery stores, too, unless I'm lucky enough to find anything ripe or growing in my container garden. I'm guessing that many of us eat from grocery stores.

I live in an apartment and have a small patio outside. I have my plants in pots. I have dandelion, common plaintain, tomatoes, basil, thyme, rosemary, peppers, a grape vine which I use for leaves, and a few small trees. I used to think I didn't have the space to grow my own until I realized I could grow some things in pots and just mix up topsoil, cow manure, and moss together and plant in the mixture. I live in Ohio so I don't have year-round temperate climate. I bring in my sensitive plants in the winter and keep a small space heater on for them at night too keep them warm. In the late spring, I put the pots outside again. Only my Jalapeno, thyme, medjool palm seedling, and avocado seedlings have survived winters. I have to re-plant everything else come late spring.

You could also try hydroponics. I prefer soil but there is information on the web on how to do this with a window that gets lots of sun or with artificial light.

As for avocados, you can buy the rock hard ones and put them in a brown paper bag on top of your refrigerator or on your counter top and let it sit for a few days until they are ripe. You should check every couple of days. Some of them will ripen earlier than others. This is the same procedure used for peaches and pears. Tomatoes and bananas will ripen if you just leave them on sitting out at room temperature. I don't like buying ripe avocados as I cannot eat them fast enough. I prefer to buy a few that are hard so that I have control over the ripening process. There are fruits one should definitely buy ripe, like watermelon and berries. I buy frozen berries alot and use them with frozen bananas in frozen smoothies that act as a "soft-serve" ice cream replacement for me.

I cannot afford most organic so I muscle-test and smell everything before I buy it. I have been attempting to focus on organic celery as I hear it can be polluted. I use celery for raw soups.

Even in the US, much of the produce comes from Mexico or Chile, etc. I buy what I can afford. I'm not able to do 100% raw vegan as my body doesn't function well on it. However, I do the highest percentage my body and budget allow. Even with modified raw vegan, my body continues to detox. I'm imagining your body is doing the same. Unless, you are encountering some terrible pesticides or chemicals in your food, I imagine your dietary intake is still better than most and your body should be able to handle the non-home grown food. It's been suggested that the soil is depleted so one should supplement. I supplement with Nutritional Yeast (not raw) and Iron (anemic) and Vitamin D (based on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's recommendation and my own muscle-testing). I also take Niacin and a multi-vitamin once in a while.

Hope that helps. Therese

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 12, 2013 03:09AM

bless them?
thank them?
i don't know

just be more grateful for them (since that's the best u can do for now)
and maybe if you focus on what nutrition they DO have
you will be less focused on the fact that they are not organic and locally grown
and you will feel better
and your vibration will be raised

while u do research on growing or moving or whatever

stressing out over it will just deplete you and depress your immunity
yeah, it stinks that your variety and choices are not from super duper well grown rich soils , local, organic etc. but if that is the best you have in front of you

just say " thank you" to these foods

and you will have sufficient energy to work on Plan B

Date: August 12, 2013 04:10AM

Lunch:

* organic sprouted fermented sesame
* kelp

Cost = $1.20

Breakfast:

* apples from a farm (not officially organic, but not srayed either) - he is now a friend and gives me 10kg for $6.00 of seconds
* organic fenugreek sprout juice in fermented water (l get 20 kg of seed for about $70.00...makes a big room full of greens when all sprouted
* pea shoot juice (non organic) - l get 100 kg for $120.00 delivered from a local farm.

Cost of breakfast today = about $2.00

-------
Fresh food can be had cheap, but you need to do your research and network well. You won't get cheap food in shops.

Note: l can pay $120.00 for 100 kg of peas for sprouting or l can pay over $2,000 for organic.

Note: l can pay over $600 for 20 kg of shop irradiated organic nuts or l can pay about $70 from a local farm who l have made friends with.

Note: l get weeds for free from a farm

Note: l can buy a 20 kg sack of organic sunflower seeds for $100 and grow greens with them and drink the juice until it comes out my ears for months.

Final note = being raw and living on old store bought produce is for rich people. winking smiley Eating fresh high quality sprouted produce of the highest order is for poor people. winking smiley winking smiley

Best to be a peasant and grow your own food. winking smiley Rich people rely on food carted to shops...l can't afford that luxury, so l grow my own and eat fresh instead. winking smiley

Fruitarians who live on old organic fruit transported to shops = millionares.

Fruitarians who live on old irradiated fruit from supermarkets =- people with big incomes

Sproutarians who live on the best food of all = peasants. It's high quality, fresh and they don't need much of it.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 04:23AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: LuckyRawVegan ()
Date: August 12, 2013 07:46AM

It must doing something though because I've seen alot of improvements and I feel great smiling smiley but I know I'm not getting that electical life force that I want.

I am thankful for what I have, it's not that bad the food is still nice and I do get some beautifully tasting ones that just get my taste buds going.

I just want to know what it would feel like hand picking my food straight off the tree or from the ground and eating it just like we should. Thoughts are things though and the universe has to reflect my thoughts, so it will come to me smiling smiley

And for the radiation of the food, I try and get food that's grown in the UK, I believe it's not radiated then, if it's from the same country you live in, although I could be wrong.

I also drink bottled water (from plastic). However a just discovered a shop that sells water in glass bottles grinning smiley so I buy them now & leave it out in the sun to solarise!

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:07AM

I have eaten fruit and avocados straight from the tree and straight off the ground. I've eaten both tropical fruits ( bananas, papayas, jackfruit, etc.) from organic farms, and apples, pears, apricots, etc. straight from the tree and the ground, and I can tell you that there is more to good health than just food - even tree ripened fruit. I think good quality raw vegeies are more of an issue than fruit becasue the roots ae shorter and it's a quicker process to grown them.

Of course there is nothing like picking a jackfruit from the tree or eating one that has just fallen to the ground, but it doesn't translate into good health alone.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 12, 2013 09:24PM

I am anticipating that when I move I will likely have limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables of any type. Let alone high quality f&V.

I am already planning on ordering various sprout seeds from an online company that just seems to have 'high vibes'. I also am planning on growing some herbs like purslane, lemon balm, fenugreek and sheep sorrel etc in small pots. Maybe some vine plants, like passionfruit and melons. These probably won't make up the bulk of my food, but I believe will be an important addition to keep me going nutritionally, and taste wise.

I will probably order basal rock dust from this company or something like it to grow these plants in, for the trace minerals that it contains.
[www.kisorganics.com]

Unless there are specific rocks or soil which is recommended for particular herbs, fruit or veggies.

Posted by: toddshambhala ()
Date: August 15, 2013 06:56PM

I am brand new to this site and not sure exactly where to post this message. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which merchants at the San Francisco wholesale produce market have the best prices on organic and conventional produce? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables