Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water Distiller
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: August 20, 2013 08:48PM

I plan to start a cure. Any ideas which distiller is the best?

I start dojng some googleing but every vendor says theirs are the best over all others! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Distiller
Date: August 21, 2013 01:59AM

cynthia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I plan to start a cure. Any ideas which distiller
> is the best?

Just find a distiller with a carbon filter otherwise heated water will carry various things into the water. From what l gather, most distillers have a carbon filter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 02:00AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: August 21, 2013 02:38AM

I also saw something about the need to have a post distillation filter. So it is best to shop closely before buying i guess.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 22, 2013 12:36AM

I am going to be getting the Home Health model. Around $200, which is the standard price for that design, from what I have seen online.

Date: August 22, 2013 12:46AM

Sorry, I meant MegaHome:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 12:47AM by banana who.

Date: August 22, 2013 12:50AM

I have been using reverse-osmosis purchased from Whole Foods, which I store in a 5-gallon BPA-free jug with spigot. However, I don't like the taste of this water. I actually prefer the taste of my tap! It makes me wonder if it's just a con. I find that hard to believe but the water does not taste "clean" to me. I have always liked the taste of steam-distilled water. You can add fresh lemon to it to liven it up and introduce electrolytes.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:14AM

banana who Wrote:
> I have been using reverse-osmosis purchased from
> Whole Foods, which I store in a 5-gallon BPA-free
> jug with spigot. However, I don't like the taste
> of this water. I actually prefer the taste of my
> tap! It makes me wonder if it's just a con. I find
> that hard to believe but the water does not taste
> "clean" to me. I have always liked the taste of
> steam-distilled water. You can add fresh lemon to
> it to liven it up and introduce electrolytes.

RO is said to be very good, but it can go down hill very quickly and let toxins in. I would recommend purchasing a TDS (total dissovled solids) meter and testing your RO water every few days.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:29AM

I'd like to do that but I don't know how much one costs or how to read the results! In any case, it also says it's treated with ultraviolet light so I assume that kills pathogens?

Date: August 22, 2013 02:10AM

I know that some people also like the ceramic filters but I became a bit skeptical when I read a review where a person did that TDS test and it was not good. Of course, maybe it's a bogus review, but my issue is that I don't trust pond water or contaminated water to one of those filters. I would much rather distill my water. It's also due to getting rid of fluoride. That's a biggie.

Date: August 22, 2013 02:57AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> My TDS meter came with the RO unit. THe
> instruction manual says for RO water it should
> read between a percentage range of the original
> tap water reading. I forgot that range but I
> usually do check around the time I need to change
> it, and I re-check the manual to get that
> percentage range and measure.
>
> Also Im not sure TDS meter even tells you much
> since it only measures one aspect of the water..
> there's probably other things in the water the TDS
> meter doesn't tell you.

Yes, the TDS meter doesn't pick up various bacteria which can get through the finest of filters.

Even ceramic filters don't filter all solids and bacteria, and it's storage area can become a breeding ground for the unfiltered bacteria that get through the filtration process.

What does your TDS meter register with your RO system?

My sproutarian friend's meter registers 0 with his RO system.

Date: August 22, 2013 03:51AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:

> Not very practical this sproutarian thing
> sometimes.

When l travel l just pack some sprout bags and some jars and sprout a few simple things like a basic green, some sesame and a legume...l also bring some sea weeds, algae, some nuts and have some fruit.

You can even bring some seeds and sprout them in a coke bottle you purchase locally and use tap water if need be.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:12PM

If personnal water distillers are problematic, we can also rely on store-bought DW.
I live in Quebec, Canada, and I still have to find a supplier. The local groceries and drugstores sell demineralized water only ... I have to check in some other bigger stores today.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:39PM

cynthia Wrote:
> If personnal water distillers are problematic, we
> can also rely on store-bought DW.
> I live in Quebec, Canada, and I still have to find
> a supplier. The local groceries and drugstores
> sell demineralized water only ... I have to check
> in some other bigger stores today.

Don't confuse the terms. Filtering versus distilling, I mean. I want a distiller and that is a way different process from simply running water through filters.

Date: August 23, 2013 12:36AM

I finally find distilled water! a couple of gallons - I will have to order to get more.

Date: August 23, 2013 12:47AM

sprout watering when traveling?

maybe you could use fresh non sweet juice or good bottled water? just a thought...

even to continue using distilled water is probably a challenge when traveling... as all the little things we are used to do as rawfoodists : soaking, rinsing, ...

we have to adapt

love,
Cynthia

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:00AM

LOL, I just read this entire thread and Still have no idea which distiller is best. We just moved from a place that didn't have fluoride in the water to one that does and though I have a Berkey filter it doesn't take that out. There are additional filters for fluoride but they leave a bad taste in the water so... distilling it is.
What's the advice here, which model is best, best for the price etc?

Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: August 23, 2013 05:08AM

I would make sure that any distiller you buy is UL listed and read reviews on Amazon or other places where customers can review products. If the company's website has a parts list where you can buy replacement parts, that shows (to me) that they support thier product after sale.

I have a Ecowater distiller just because I found it used for cheap, and it's been working great for 3 years.

As far as the taste, you only notice it for about a week and then you'll get used to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 05:10AM by Ifeelgood.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 23, 2013 06:12AM

The price of countertop water distillers has sure risen since I bought mine. I have a Kenmore model that looks a lot like the Waterwise 8800, and I think I paid around $150 for it at the time. It looks that the latest version of that distiller goes for around $400 nowadays.

Date: August 23, 2013 01:50PM

Coco, upthread I mentioned this model that I plan to get:

[www.amazon.com]

It makes 1 gallon per 6 hours. When I fill up my 5-gallon jug with reverse osmosis, it lasts quite a bit for two people so this should do us just fine. smiling smiley

Date: August 23, 2013 02:05PM

By the way, Coco, if you ever decide to start a thread about it, I would love to hear some of your off-the-grid adventures. I could totally do it but I wish I knew how to fix stuff! And I am the Ms. Fix-It around the house as my guy readily admits that I am the handier of us two.

Date: August 24, 2013 01:56AM

We just moved to a pretty big city, time to work at a "real" job, lol. What sort of thing were you interested in? I've lived so many places and ways...

Will have to check for a dehydrator in my price range. Seems like it's just as tricky as choosing a juicer!

Date: August 24, 2013 08:57PM

You mentioned recently living without indoor plumbing and that sort of thing. That is pretty rustic. I would just be curious about the equipment needed for this sort of lifestyle, such as how you heat your body as well as any food that you cook.

I thought you had an Excalibur with a timer! What happened to it? I ended up buying that model.

I would LOVE a forum on alternative housing (small houses, using RVs as homes, etc.) and how to earn money off the grid, etc. But now you're a city slicker so I don't know if you are interested in it or not now...LOL

Date: August 24, 2013 09:13PM

Ask and it shall be given:[cheaprvliving.com]smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2013 09:39PM

Oops, I meant a distiller! Yes, I have a dehydrator already. Just found some neat recipes for wrap/bread type stuff, grain free. Have to set up once we're settled in.

We had a wood stove, chopped wood outside. There was a two seater outhouse, I did not share with anyone at the awkward age of 13, lol. There was a large well outside and a pump in the main house that sometimes worked, we lived in a converted cow barn that had been made into living quarters with a loft that had dormer windows. There was zero privacy though, totally open concept right to the rafters. Concrete floor. We bathed in a kiddie pool my mom bought, that was a fun adventure. Cooking was done in the main house on their large wood burning cook store or we used a hot plate our the small space on our little stove. We had chickens, a pig, a milk cow, a raspberry patch in summer, a beaver pond all the kids were terrified of because it was full of leaches, Leaches! And a whole lotta mosquitos and black flies. Not sure I'd ever repeat the experiment. Honestly, the cottage (which is like a small house) is about as rustic as I like it these days.

Date: September 02, 2013 08:24PM

I bought a MH943SBS Megahome - still waiting for it to be delivered

Cynthia

Date: September 02, 2013 10:25PM

cynthia Wrote:
> I bought a MH943SBS Megahome - still waiting for
> it to be delivered
>
> Cynthia
Please keep us informed on how it goes. I am interested. I had heard that occasionally you have to get rid of the scale deposits but hopefully that is no biggie. I think one person said that vinegar gets rid of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 10:28PM by banana who.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables