Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long does it take to get used to a higher veggie diet??
Posted by: RawRookie ()
Date: November 15, 2006 04:33PM

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how long it takes for your body to get used to eating more greens. I am not really eating all that much - I am starting gradually. Just a salad for lunch, but around 5 PM my tummy starts to hurt and I start having the obvious symptoms that come with fresh greens. I would rather not have to go to the beano....

how long did it take you to get used to it?

Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long does it take to get used to a higher veggie diet??
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 15, 2006 05:18PM

Greens do not automatically cause gas (nor does any fresh fruit / vegetable). This comes from bacterial action. This can be a result of slow, poor or compromised digestion, improper food combining, or just existing conditions. Eating well...and eating more simply (less combining)...and light fasting....will eventually erase these problems.

-YOU need to choose YOUR goals. Start where you are VERY comfortable...and stretch from there. With a gradual (perhaps 1-2% increase in over-all raw diet per week) you could probably achieve your goals in a year or less.

-I was a particularly bad eater. I took probably 1 year to fully adjust to eating myriad all-raw and being very comfortable with it. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 15, 2006 05:50PM

If you are just starting out on raw you will probably go through a stage where you are gassy for a while (I talking like a week to a few weeks). This is actually a good thing, it means that your colon is cleaning out old junk.

My guess is that this may be what is happening to you rather than indigestion.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: November 15, 2006 06:22PM

It sounds like you may be terribly low in hydrochloric acid (HCL). That is the acid that devours the food you eat. Get some HCL tables or capsules and start by taking one with each meal. If you don't have a negative reaction, add 2 per meal. Increase up to 4 tablets per meal. It could take a month or two for your body to adjust. In the meantime, try blending or juicing. It might be a bit easier on the stomach. Also try smaller amounts.

Beano is just enzymes. You can try those as well. Eventually your body will adjust. Don't quit! Your body is like a rebellious teenager. Once it knows you mean business, it will calm down and actually start to like the new way. I know, I have (had!) a rebellious teen!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 15, 2006 09:19PM

It takes time to develop a sufficient colony of friendly intestinal bacterial to deal with the extra fiber. A 1-2 gram increase of dietary fiber every few days will probably work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables