Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
People who juice v's people who don't juice - feedback from both groups would be good.
Date: September 30, 2013 02:28AM

I wanted to put this topic in this thread because l would be interested to see responses from people who juice and people who don't.

For people who juice
1). how often do you juice, what types of foods, and how many oz/ml do you usually juice?
2). are you sometimes discouraged about juicing because of the clean-up involved?
3). do you get benefits from juicing that you can feel?

For non juicers
1). why don't you juice
2). do you plan on juicing in the future

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: People who juice v's people who don't juice - feedback from both groups would be good.
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 30, 2013 03:23AM

I juice
I juice greens (celery, dandelion, cabbage, sunflower sprouts, wheatgrass, corn grass, buckwheat greens). I drink one to two pints of green juices a day.
I do not get discouraged from juicing. I love it. I grow some of greens indoor and that is where the hard work is. I eat fruits and drink green juices, that is my diet. No room for fermented foods. Juicing make me healthy and light.

Re: People who juice v's people who don't juice - feedback from both groups would be good.
Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: September 30, 2013 05:57PM

I juice half a glass of orange juice and 2 glasses of carrot-beat-apple( 80% carrots, and the rest beat and apple) juice daily. I noticed skin and hair improvement and PMS symptoms completely eliminated. When I become lazy and reduce my juice intake to 1 glass a day, I notice immediately that the PMS symptoms return - mainly, feeling very weak,quickly tired in the gym.

Yes, I'm sometiems discouraged to juice because of the cleanup process involved.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 30, 2013 06:12PM

I don't juice, mostly because:

-Too much fuss.

-Chewing is fun.

-I prefer the whole food, with everything it has to offer, in its least oxidized form, including all the important little molecules in there.....and including fiber, which feeds healthy bacteria and provides a workout for my intestines.

-I like to know that chewing has generated saliva, which begins the set-up of messages within the enteric nervous system, (our second brain!) that consists of sheaths of some 100 million neurons embedded in the walls of our gut.

My raw food "rules" are pretty simple: Supplement with B12. Stay vegan, stay raw. And I do.

Whoever likes juicing though, if it seems to help, go for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 06:14PM by suncloud.

Date: September 30, 2013 11:32PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I juice
> I juice greens (celery, dandelion, cabbage,
> sunflower sprouts, wheatgrass, corn grass,
> buckwheat greens). I drink one to two pints of
> green juices a day.
> I do not get discouraged from juicing. I love it.
> I grow some of greens indoor and that is where the
> hard work is. I eat fruits and drink green
> juices, that is my diet.

That is a pretty decent diet, and those juices are excellent. It makes me warm and fuzzy to read this post. You use all the big guns in your juices, great!

powerlifter Wrote:
> Usually just juice a glass worth these days.
ive also felt the
> detrimental effects of juicing too much in the
> past.

Can you please talk about the negative effects you felt from juicing?

---------

l usually juice the following depending on the season.
* red clover sprouts (all year around, great in the hottest of weather)
* alfalfa sprouts
* pea shoot greens
* sunflower greens (warmer weather sprout that takes great care to grow)
* brocolli sprouts
* fenugreek sprouts (have LOTS of those, 8 oz a day for 10 - 11 months of the year with no negative effects)
* buckwheat greens (hard to grow those of late so l haven't had much of it)
* rye grass (try to do 5 days a week)
* chia grass (only can be grown in winter, so l binge on it)
* weeds (various)

The really troublesome sprout is the snow pea shoot greens..full of alkaloids!!! l can only have 8 oz of this a day before l hit the wall after 3 weeks. After that l cut back to only four days a week and l am fine after that. If l overdo them l get a drawing in my stomach, digestion is compromised and l feel slightly off colour.

Never had any problems comsuming large amounts of alfalfa depsite reports they are also full of alkaloids.

Fenugreek sprouts are brilliant...done truck loads of them and have nothing but the very best effects and regeneration.

The ryegrass is great...better effects than all the other sprouts, and great energy and feel good factors.

The chia is a special lady. She keeps you warm during the coldest winter and makes you feel like the gloomiest day is like living in paradise. Everyone should have this lady.

Weeds are great to peace out and impact the brain in special ways. Nothing better than fasting on weed juice.

Sunflower juice is the grand old lady, and rye/wheatgrass is the king of the castle.

I juice a minimum of 16oz per day, but usually around 24 oz. I have been known to juice much more but l try to keep my juices to moderate levels now. As powerlifer basically said, juicing excessively can be troublesome because you are getting concentrated anti nutrient factors, and not all anti nutrient factors can be dealt with adequately. I haven't had negative effects from juicing 40 oz per day, but l still prefer to keep it at moderate levels.

l like juicing and it definitely make a difference (the day is better), but sometimes l find juicing a drag because it is time consuming with the clean up. I have the juicer to clean (easy), but l also have jars, bowls, collanders and all the rest (a bench full of stuff to clean).

Growing the greens is the most time consuming, but it is worth it. We used to spend time growing our food in the old days, so why should it be any different now. Forget the t.v and all modern day distrations...just be with nature in your garden, appreciate being alive and think of the higher powers and the angles that serve us and you don't need the distrations that keeps modern man imprisoned and disconnected.

I never started to heal properly until l started juicing. Blending all raw never compared. Brian Clement says the same thing...you never truely heal until you do the green juices (my experience exactly, it works). It might not be natural, but we don't live in a natural world so we must do extreme things and drink juices.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 11:44PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 30, 2013 11:46PM

suncloud Wrote:
> I don't juice, mostly because:
>
> -Too much fuss.
>
> -Chewing is fun.
>
> -I prefer the whole food, with everything it has
> to offer, in its least oxidized form, including
> all the important little molecules in
> there.....and including fiber, which feeds healthy
> bacteria and provides a workout for my
> intestines.
>
> -I like to know that chewing has generated saliva,
> which begins the set-up of messages within the
> enteric nervous system, (our second brain!) that
> consists of sheaths of some 100 million neurons
> embedded in the walls of our gut.
>
> My raw food "rules" are pretty simple: Supplement
> with B12. Stay vegan, stay raw. And I do.
>
> Whoever likes juicing though, if it seems to help,
> go for it!

there.....and including fiber, which feeds healthy

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting. l hope to hear from more non juicing folks.

Date: October 01, 2013 12:31AM

suncloud Wrote:
>
> -Too much fuss.
>
> -Chewing is fun.
>
> intestines.
>
>
>
> go for it!

It is just like saying because we were given feet we have to walk even when we can drive and it is too far to walk.
There is no biological requirement that you have to chew two pounds of carrots. Juicing works just as perfect if not better.

Date: October 01, 2013 01:57AM

To RawPracticalist,

On the other hand though (or foot or whatever), I'm sure you'll agree that we humans have a lot more obesity/heart disease/diabetes since we started driving everywhere.

To be clear, I'm not saying that juicing is "wrong". It has it's place, and so does chewing. I prefer chewing for the reasons I stated above.

But if juicing helps you, then go for it!

Is there a biological necessity to consume 2 pounds of carrots, I mean if there's other food around and a person isn't starving?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 02:09AM by suncloud.

Date: October 01, 2013 02:22AM

But the problem with obesity is that people are not actually chewing the food they eat. Watch people in a restaurant or a dinner table, food is chewed about 3 times and swallowed. That is where obesity come from especially when the food is not raw and covered with oil and fats.

Each mouthful should be chewed at least 30 times but in practice it is only 3 times. With this fact juicing is way better.

There are many food items waiting to be eaten and people are not patient, they need to get the next slice of pizza. What is in the mouth is already conquered, you need to attack the next.

When I was growing up we were many children sharing a single bowel of food at most dinner time. You had to learn to be fast at swallowing. And of course we had big bellies. [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: October 01, 2013 02:34AM

Apologies to Raw Practicalist; my intention is just to offer another point of view, and not to challenge yours.

For me personally, chewing is the preferred method of consumption (except for water), for the reasons I stated above.

If juicing helps you, then go for it!

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:36AM

I prefer juicing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 02:37AM by madinah.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:37AM

There is not disagreement here in what you are all saying

Date: October 01, 2013 01:30PM

I agree with powerlifter that juices can cause sugar spikes. Fiber naturally slows the absorption of fruit sugar and helps signal our bodies that we're getting enough food.

I will disagree however about the nutrient content of fruits. Whole fruits are nutrient-rich in many vitamins, and often in minerals as well - including potassium, magnesium, and copper. For example, we discovered long ago that feeding limes to sailors prevents scurvy by providing ample amounts of vitamin C.

Fruits are also very rich in phytochemicals.

Both fruits and veggies - in their whole form - contain important antioxidants including Vitamins A, C, and E that are released when the food is consumed. Exposing these to oxygen during the juicing process may reduce our capacity to clean up free radicals, many of which are produced naturally during metabolism.

Juicing can be helpful to many individuals, for lots of reasons; but I haven't found it essential for staying healthy on a raw food diet. If we ask our neighborhood squirrel, fox, deer, mongoose, or caterpillar, they will all most likely agree.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:02PM

I find it nice occasionally but quite intense for the body - even taken slowly.

It's like a lot of food coming in at the same time in concentrated form.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:41PM

I juice my veggies or eat in salad. I blend my fruits or eat whole smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 01, 2013 03:15PM

I guess maybe the main thing is do it if it feels good, if you like it, if you're in the mood, or if you feel you need it for any reason, etc.

Or don't do it if it doesn't feel good, if you don't like it, if you're not in the mood, or if you don't feel you need it for any reason, etc.

Basically, I think it's pretty important that we enjoy our food, in whatever form we prefer, and if it feels good over time, especially for sustaining a raw food diet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 03:22PM by suncloud.

Date: October 01, 2013 03:33PM

I think it is even better not to eat, not to juice. Fasting is the way to go.

Date: October 01, 2013 04:07PM

Definitely, I agree that fasting is incredible, especially in combination with raw food diet. I haven't met anyone yet who can live on fasting exclusively, but fasting is a good thing, imo.

Intermittent fasting been found to significantly reduce inflammation in a number of auto-immune conditions, but of course conventional science has a long way to go to catch up with alternative or lay experience in fasting, which is many centuries old.

Date: October 01, 2013 07:38PM

Humans had periods of famine historically, it is not the case in modern times, most of us are overloaded with undigested foods. That is why juicing is so good for many, it help them rest the digestive system. With a glass of carrots or celery juice in the morning, he may not need to eat the doughnut.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 02, 2013 11:29PM

great thread
juicing rawks

agree with what was mentioned above
stay AWAY from sugar when it comes to juicing
e.g. carrots, fruits etc.

stick with the high mineral veggies

Posted by: Luis Medrano ()
Date: October 10, 2013 01:52AM

I love to include juices to my eating plan. I will usually do a green juice (romaine, kale, spinach, or celer) with apple and or carrot. I like to keep it simple.

Clean up is a breeze. I've just done it so many times that it's easy for me. I use the jack lalane juicer.

I get an "ahhhh" feeling when I drink one. I do feel energized too.

I want to make it a routine to include one every single day.

Peace!

Much Love smiling smiley

Luis Medrano
EasyRawFoodEnergy.com

Date: October 21, 2013 05:27AM

Sunflower greens

Ryegrass & sunflower - just some of dozens of trays growing on the main unit

The ryegrass looks alittle light and washed out in the picture, but it looks much better in real life.

Need to extend the shelves up higher to include more microgreens on the main outside unit, but l also have some caged off shelves for five extra large trays of microgreens. There is always a bunch of jar sprouts for extra greens and a bunch chia shelves also that grow up to 12 large trays of chia greens during the cooler months. Also got growing shelves in the shed.

I close the front with clear plastic so it's an enclosed greenhouse and also have shade cloth to keep early morning direct sun off the greens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 05:32AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 23, 2013 01:36AM

That is THE FOOD.

Date: October 25, 2013 10:19PM

Nothing beats grass and sunflower. Been having big green drinks lately in the morning consisting of generous helpings of grass, sunflower, alfalfa and fenugreek (over 32 oz at a sitting) and it has felt like rocket feul in my body. Beautiful tasting drinks and fantastic! I then recycle the unused nutrients (over supply from the juice) until lunch (about 2 pm) so l get the most out of my juice.

I hope you continue to do lots of green drinks. How is the fermenting and sea weeds going?

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 25, 2013 10:55PM

great thread! am loving Sunclouds points too, very interesting! I like the idea of chewing everything as it makes sense that the interactions between the food / teeth / mouth etc would be important. Practically speaking though, I don't think I would eat anywhere near as much greens if I didn't juice & blend them. I don't mind chowing down on fruit, or veggies like cucumber, but dandelion... perhaps not winking smiley

My routine lately is this: In the morning(ish) I make up between 1 and 2 litres of drink which consists of juice (normally an assortment of stuff like cucumber /celery /carrot /microgreens/weeds/green leaves/ginger/apples ) then I blend it up with some bananas or other fruit, spirulina, chlorella, plus some distilled water, and kefir or kombucha. I drink some, and save some for the rest of the day.

I know that you're supposed to drink juice straight away before it gets oxidised but I have an idea that the kefir will take care of the oxidation (ie by 'eating up' any oxygen that's in there, lol). In fact I don't even keep it in the fridge; I leave it at room temperature, as I've read that fermented green juice can have some great nutrient value. If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'd be glad to hear them smiling smiley

I find drinking this concoction throughout the day is really useful, it feels really energising and hydrating.

I have a greenhouse now so I'm growing tray of microgreens and stuff in it, I love it!

ps - and yes, the cleanup bites tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 11:06PM by lisa m.

Posted by: ronbn49 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 12:19AM

Juicing can relieve the body of the need to digest food so the body no longer has to use energy to digest food and can divert that energy to healing and repairing the body. Healing systems the owner of the body may not even be aware of. early humans had long periods without food and in this time the body healed and revitalized itself, made the senses more aware, made the hunters senses keener. Today when the body get hungry many just turn into the drive through lane of the local McDonalds and loads up on some Macs fries and cokes and wolfs it all down on the way to an appointment. Its no wonder we are fat sick and dying.

Date: October 30, 2013 02:10AM

This morning's juice session.

Weed juice, flower juice, grass juice, fenugreek sprout juice, sunflower green sprout juice

Sunflower greens

Garden weeds and flowers

The harvest ready for juicing - about 40 oz of highly potent juice...most nutritious juices on the planet

Weed, flower and grass juice

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 02:12AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:58AM

suncloud Wrote:
>
> -Too much fuss.
>
> -Chewing is fun.
>
> intestines.
>
>
>
> go for it!

It doesn't have to be either/or, though.

Date: October 30, 2013 04:32AM

True, banana!

Actually, it only HAS to be whatever we choose it to be for whatever reason. I choose to chew.

smiling smiley

Hey, a bumper sticker: Choose to Chew.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 30, 2014 06:52PM

I am in the juice camp.
I used to not juice.
My life compared to the non juice years is very different.
I am more energetic, lighter, food is not in my mind all of the time as it used to.
But I want to reduce juicing and starting chewing more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 06:58PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables