Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
You're Not Old, You Just Eat Like Crap
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 05, 2013 06:11PM

"You're Not Old, You Just Eat Like Crap"

2 minutes vid:

[www.youtube.com]

"Why The 80/10/10 Diet?"

6 minutes vid:

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You're Not Old, You Just Eat Like Crap
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 05, 2013 07:49PM

I spoke to a woman on the train this morning. She was a senior and very preppy. When she was about to get off at her stop, she leaned over and whispered that she was 91. I told her that she was my inspiration. She was so vibrant and totally with it.

I remember watching a video with Matt and Angela about Vilcabamba natives and apparently there are 90-something women lugging heavy sacks in the mountains. I totally got a kick out of that. I believe that staying active and eating well is the answer to every question on the material plane.

Now that's REAL healthcare for ya! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 07:49PM by banana who.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: October 05, 2013 09:22PM

Or, in my case, sleep like crap. I go to sleep late every night and all the effects of good food are lost. Sleep is as important as food.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 05, 2013 10:45PM

LOL...I meant peppy!winking smiley

Date: October 06, 2013 12:44PM

that it is only your opinion smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 08, 2013 04:52AM

Next in Raw World News :

You're Young Cuz You Eat Like A Geniuz ! smiling smiley

Date: October 08, 2013 09:43AM

Doug Graham interviewed by John Kohler
[www.youtube.com]

"The biggest problem with raw foods is that there is not enough of them".

"I don't think there is any problem with raw food to be honest".

"We thrive when we are eating fruits and vegetables"

winking smiley

Doug promotes eating fresh fruits and vegetables, but how many people actually do that and pick food straight from the plant?

Posted by: USER111 ()
Date: October 08, 2013 06:24PM

Very, very, very few people are able to do 811rv long term. The rest are liars.

Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: October 09, 2013 03:38PM

Might be true, but there is a bigger underlining factor that non of these experts seem to mention. Problem with Doug is that he thinks pounds of fruit is correct for every human body -- just because it works for him. But how many people are doing high intensity workouts 2 hours a day?

The answer is bodytypes. Understanding and eating for your body type. Most people can not handle that much sugar (including me) or have the time and ability to burn off tons of glycogen on a daily bases.

Sugar is the bodies primary source for energy - yes they have this part right. But they part they do not tell you is -- if you DO NOT burn off the excess sugar stores it will go to FAT! Excessive glucose is the primary cause of obesity in the world for almost all pear shaped men and women.

I tried 80/10/10 and gained 20 lbs of pure FAT. I had hypoglycemia problems daily, dizzy and almost fainted several times. Why? Because I was eating wrong for my body. I've had problems with sugar almost all my life and I thought it was due to other health problems. But the truth is, some bodies are not able to metabolize lots of sugar like that.

Long story short, I discovered I am a fat and protein type person. Now I eat green leafy vegetables, carrots, celery, olives, nuts, coconut oils and TONS of FAT. I lost that 20lbs and do not have any trouble losing weight. My whole life I have been overweight.

The only problem I have with the 80-10-10ners is they say that fat makes you fat. Through my research I found that this is impossible. It's not the fat, it's the stuff ON the fat for almost 80% of the people in the world (not made up). It's all the flour, starches and sugar combined with the fat -- and lets not forget chemicals but that's for another thread.

powerlifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 80/10/10 is just a risky fad diet that nobody can
> make work succesfully long term.
>
> Its probably one of the most nutritionally
> incomplete and imbalanced diets i have had the
> pleasure of trying and researching.
>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:19AM by Prana.

Date: October 09, 2013 06:35PM

Does Doug ever address the problems people are facing with the diet and try to tailor the diet more to people's needs, or does he assume that one diet fits all?

I imagine it would be a tough diet to stick with. Do many people suffer cravings and/or hunger on this diet?

I am glad l have the diet l do...no cravings or hunger despite eating little. A sprout diet makes it easy to keep on the straight and narrow, but l reckon you would need super will-power to keep on the 80-10-10..dunno how people can do it. I've tried a high fruit diet and l never felt satisfied despite eating nuts and greens...got sick of eating lots of fruit really quickly.

For me, eating a small amount of fruit as a snack works best.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 06:48PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 09, 2013 07:01PM

"...l never felt satisfied despite eating nuts and greens...got sick of eating lots of fruit really quickly. "

So what do you eat, what should we eat?

There does not seem to be much left after fruits and greens..

Date: October 09, 2013 09:57PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does Doug ever address the problems people are
> > facing with the diet and try to tailor the diet
> > more to people's needs, or does he assume that
> one
> > diet fits all?
>
> Not really, im sure he wouldn't want to publically
> disect the diet because it would result in people
> not following him if he admitted it doesn't work
> for the majority of individuals or anyone to be
> honest. From what ive seen on veg source when
> people are having trouble with the diet he tends
> to just recommend generic advice such as water
> fasting or having a consult with him.
>
> Also don't ask him questions about some of his
> statements, he doesn't like to be critiqued, he
> was asked on vegsource a while back about his
> quote from one of his interviews about getting
> vitamin B12 from breathing air and he wasn't much
> open to critique like i say, the thread ended up
> dissappearing in hours because he couldn't answer
> the question about how air hasn't ever been shown
> to contain any recordable amount of Vitamin B12.
>
> Then again he recommends water fasting for
> everything including conditions such as adrenal
> insufficiency, which in my opinion is very
> dangerous advice.
>
> I wrote a few reasons why water fasting for
> adrenal insufficiency could potentially be very
> dangerous - Water Fasting Dangers For Adrenal
> Fatigue

He has earned himself a poor reputation in the eyes of many because he has shown a lack of credibility and ability to show knowledge in the area of nutrition. If you know what you are talking about you should be able to discuss subjects openly, discuss the advantages and dissadvantages of diet without fear, and provide solid arguments as to why your diet ideas are very very effective. And if many people are failing on your diet system, and you fail to address it effectively or face the issues with substance...that adds to your lack of credibility. That statement might sound hard, but it is a fair statement.

General talk
If you are way out of your depth, people will find you out.If people are failing, the guru needs to be responsible and start questioning their own ideas. If lots of people are failing on the diet there should be caution in the diet mentioning potential problems by the guru, that is the responsible thing to do.

Gurus are dealing with people's health and they need to throughly study the subjects before they start coming out with their diet ideas. You have got to be able to prove much of your ideas or have the strong majority of testimonials in your favour. In regards to B12 and air, well...you've got to be really careful with that...you need either strong science to show this or good testimonials of it working for lots of people. You can't just go around spouting theories you read somewhere, you have got to be more responsible than that.

I am not specifically talking about Doug here, l am talking about my concerns about most of the information being talked about in the raw vegan movement. Very few gurus have credibility because they can't address the gaping holes in many of the diets they promote. I would love to debate some of these people on camera....so raw gurus many have backed themselves into a hole they can't get out of. The outside people looking in laugh at the raw movement bvecause of the siully things gurus say, but at least Dr Clement and Gabriel Cousens are giving some credibility to the movement, especially Dr Clement...full points to him. O.k o.k, so his food isn't natural, but what food is?...all contain anti nutrients and are usually suffering from post harvest conditions...at least Brian promotes a fresh and highly nutritious diet and takes the time to read the science.

The problem with trying to be a know-it-all is that it is ego that comes into play, and ego is a symptom of a low level of evolvement which shows all is not well in the body, spirit and mind. Why aren't all the gurus working togeather to try and solve the diet probelms? But no, everyone wants to be a hero and many are cursed by the money and fame motive. It's a hopeless situation. None of us know it all, far from it!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 10:10PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 10, 2013 08:36AM

as far as I know, T. Collin Campbell (proffesor emeritus at Cornel Uni) agrees with Dr. Graham. Why would people ignore the litterature presented on the video? And why not challenge that litterature?

Date: October 10, 2013 09:57AM

why is a Cook food diet considered natural, but taking a b12 suplement not? Why the fancy selection of 'natural' definitions? who cares if it works?

isn't it hypocisy to criticize a diet for taking supplements but then take 10x as many supplemets, and calling it healthy/natural?

as far as I know, 80/10/10 refers only to the macronutrient ratio. Many people use a combo of raw-cook food.

People see what they want smiling smiley

Date: October 10, 2013 10:33AM

hey PL, what is more natural, a few thousand years or many millions of years?

Date: October 10, 2013 03:54PM

Here my opinion in a nutshell.

The human race started out as fruit based eating. Fruits were plentiful and big and luscious.Somewhere along the line they started eating animals and started cooking. As our bodies have the ability to adapt and evolve it started that process in everyone as these"foreign" food entered our systems.

We all are evolving at different rates and are right now in that process. That's why there are now people at basically 3 different stages. 1/ people like me who can tolerate minimal to no cooked foods. I haven't evolved fast enough or far enoughsad smiley.
2/ People who are midway,more or less, who can eat a decent amount of cooked foods but cannot eat a fully cooked diet.
And 3/ people who can eat a fully cooked foods diet and live fairly okay for long periods.

With this evolving will come a host of diseases and other debilitating illnesses as our bodies struggle to and in time finally fully evolve to eat cooked foods the way it did with raw foods.

Make no mistake, humans will not go back to eating raw foods solely. The future is a human who has evolved to eat cooked foods.

Date: October 11, 2013 05:07AM

powerlifter Wrote:
> We have to remember that there is a massive
> difference between following a mostly plant based
> diet and following a diet like 80/10/10 or
> fruitarian, liquidarian etc.
>
> This is where many people misconstrue what these
> people are really saying. We know from research
> that a healthy diet should be mostly plant based,
> but no research says thats all we should eat to
> achieve a nutritionally complete diet.
>
> Again if Colin Campbell is now recommending
> 80/10/10, id challenge him by saying an all plant
> based diet cannot ever be nutritionally complete
> or balanced, so then what ?, you have to become
> reliant on supplements or injections like Vitamim
> B12 to make your diet nutritionally complete ?

l am a big fan of Dr Campbell, but he is not giving the full nutritional story of the problems with vegan diets, so yes, l agree with you on this.

Dr Campbell needs to speak responsibly when recommending a vegan diet.

Date: October 11, 2013 08:30AM

jeje. the one not giving the full story is the meat industry. Go to wikipedia and read all the red warnings. There are studies of vegan people not needing b12. It was because they did not wash the food that much. Soil bacteria is stronger than fermented bacteria. No animals eat 'fermented' bacteria. They eat the soil bacteria. There are volcanos in the part of the world we came from. Those volcanos made the soil rich on minerals like Cobalt, Zinc, etc. So, yeah, if you go yo live to the moon, then you need supplements.

Date: October 11, 2013 09:48AM

[www.veganhealth.org]

"Iranian Villagers

Herbert (26) reported a group of "vegan" Iranians growing plants in night soil (human manure). The vegetables were eaten without being carefully washed and the amount of B12 was enough to prevent deficiency. However, for this information, Herbert cites Halstead et al. (1959) (27), who do not mention these Iranians in their paper. Herbert possibly meant to cite a 1960 paper by Halstead et al. (28) which reported that some Iranian villagers with very little animal product intake (dairy once a week, meat once a month) had normal B12 levels. None had megaloblastic anemia. Their average B12 level was 411 pg/ml which was quite high considering their diet. The authors speculated this could be because their diets, which were very low in protein, allowed for B12-producing bacteria to ascend into the ileum where the B12 could be absorbed. They also speculated that because they lived among their farm animals and their living areas were littered with feces, they picked up enough B12 through contamination. "

Date: October 11, 2013 12:59PM

For those who feel they need B12 supps, take them.
For those who feel they don't need, fine don't take them.

controversy over.

Now, how to deal with the egos of people? That's the problem.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 12, 2013 12:35AM

To egos, can we also include totally useless and irrelevant ' scientific studies '.

What purpose is a study done on Iranians living in a rustic rural village growing their own food naturally, - and eating it freshly picked? Most of us live in big polluted cities eating sanitised shop bought food, breathing in tons of pollution. That's the reality, and that's what we have to deal with. That's where the studies need to be done, not some fantasy Shangri-la.

It's of no use to any of us what the Hunzas ate to live to 120, or the people in the Russian Cacauses ate. We don't have their genetics, and we don't have their naturally grown, highly mineralised freshly picked foods.

No more shoddy ' unscientific ' studies for me done in a lab, and anyone quoting them better be able to back them up with real life experiments on real people over a considerable period of time.

Speaking of BIG egos, maybe it's time to bring back JR. Prana, if your reading this, I think you banned him for the wrong reason. A little bit of politics never hurt anyone. What you should have banned him for was his endless quoting of texts and scientific studies, as opposed to expressing his own opinions. A bit of citing sources is ok, but not endless pap. I think we should forgive JR his sins and trespasses'', provided he gives us a break from all his quoting.

Date: October 12, 2013 09:21AM

het PL. why don't you tell presindent Clinton about the dangers you've found in your researchs. He should move from a couple supplements to to your diet with 200s supplements.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 12, 2013 09:56AM

powerlifter Wrote:
> I take 2 supplements at the moment lol,
> TMG(tri-methyl-glycine) as a methyl-donor to
> support methylation and kelp for minerals.

??? you mean just today? Just about every day you say "take this and that" because it has fixed something in my body (you taking from experience) specially herbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 09:57AM by Panchito.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: October 12, 2013 10:02AM

Now your just getting petty again Panchito, are you this hurt to have your ideals challenged ?

At least i can form a non bias view on topics, i can talk about things i love such as infrared sauna's but can also tell you about the down sides such as losing minerals or the possibility of heat stroke.

I can discuss my love of herbs but also give you the full picture as to there side effects and contraindications.

You however have an intense dislike of having your beliefs challenged just like many other vegans do, largely i believe because you have no evidence to support your ideals or extremely poor evidence like you have showed in this thread.

You stated that there were studies of vegans not needing b12 and what you gave us was a tiny paragraph about some iranian study done including animal foods, this is where you are severely biased to support your dietary ideals.

Heres a quote that makes alot of sense:

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 10:04AM by powerlifter.

Date: October 12, 2013 10:05AM

It is not a personal attack. what happened to your argument that you only take 2 supplements? why did you change track?

take a looky on you and the supplemet taurine smiling smiley

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: October 12, 2013 10:18AM

ok. I did not say all vegans don't need b12. I actually take b12 and I've never said otherwise.

But! your previous experience with veganism happened at a time when you were experiencing carried problems. No you attack the vegan phylosophy as if it was guilty of causing all your health problems, while some were hereditary (according to your discoveries). So, when is your anti-vegan campain going to stop and what is your motivation for posting in this forum?

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 12, 2013 08:58PM

USER111 Wrote:
> Here my opinion in a nutshell.
>
>
> The human race started out as fruit based eating.
> Fruits were plentiful and big and
> luscious.Somewhere along the line they started
> eating animals and started cooking. As our bodies
> have the ability to adapt and evolve it started
> that process in everyone as these"foreign" food
> entered our systems.

I don't know this to be scientifically true but this is a sensible way to look at the whole evolution of it all imo. Kudos USER111 Scientifically speaking this diet is right on. So to all you study mongers you better take a better look at what you are saying. Brian Clement is living proof of a perfectly healthy vegan, and it was not easy for him to evolve to this point. No dis-respect to the study mongers but I would believe a Brian Clement over any one on this forum.
>
> We all are evolving at different rates and are
> right now in that process. That's why there are
> now people at basically 3 different stages. 1/
> people like me who can tolerate minimal to no
> cooked foods. I haven't evolved fast enough or far
> enoughsad smiley.
> 2/ People who are midway,more or less, who can eat
> a decent amount of cooked foods but cannot eat a
> fully cooked diet.
> And 3/ people who can eat a fully cooked foods
> diet and live fairly okay for long periods.
>
> With this evolving will come a host of diseases
> and other debilitating illnesses as our bodies
> struggle to and in time finally fully evolve to
> eat cooked foods the way it did with raw foods.
>
> Make no mistake, humans will not go back to eating
> raw foods solely. The future is a human who has
> evolved to eat cooked foods.

Date: October 12, 2013 09:02PM

I have to agree with ya there powerlifer. I think the lower fat is a big benifit and the sugar keeps them happy lol. But if it makes them happy then, well like the song says. "It can't be that bad" Dam you Cheryl Crow lol.

Date: October 12, 2013 09:10PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> Does Doug ever address the problems people are
> facing with the diet and try to tailor the diet
> more to people's needs, or does he assume that one
> diet fits all?
>
> I imagine it would be a tough diet to stick with.
> Do many people suffer cravings and/or hunger on
> this diet?
>
> I am glad l have the diet l do...no cravings or

> hunger despite eating little. A sprout diet makes
> it easy to keep on the straight and narrow, but l
> reckon you would need super will-power to keep on
> the 80-10-10..dunno how people can do it. I've
> tried a high fruit diet and l never felt satisfied
> despite eating nuts and greens...got sick of
> eating lots of fruit really quickly.
>
> For me, eating a small amount of fruit as a snack
> works best.

Not to mention eatin thirty freakin bananas a day lol. Or else how can you afford to eat organic fruit at 3.99 a lb. minumum. I saw some bulberries the other day for like 7.50 for a little portion, like a hand-full lol. If it works for ya though I am happy for ya, especially if you are supporting the organic movement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 09:19PM by rzman10001.

Date: October 12, 2013 09:23PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> 80/10/10 is just a risky fad diet that nobody can
> make work succesfully long term.
>
> Its probably one of the most nutritionally
> incomplete and imbalanced diets i have had the
> pleasure of trying and researching.
>

I have to agree with ya there powerlifer. I think the lower fat is a big benifit and the sugar keeps them happy lol. But if it makes them happy then, well like the song says. "It can't be that bad" Dam you Cheryl Crow lol.

Okay I fixed it! Boy this forum dosen't give you long to Edit something!

Remember people this is an evolution not a quick fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:19AM by Prana.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables