Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

some ideas for supplementing a raw vegan diet
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:22PM

I don't mean to derail anybody's efforts to stay raw. Some people consider themselves a raw vegan but eat 'some' cooked vegan foods (for different reasons). I though to throw some ideas:

cooked quinoa: [www.amazon.com]

(contains all esential aminoacids. high protein. highest content of TMG of any food - protects DNA, anticancer, etc. Called sacred food. needs to be bought prewashed)

cooked wild rice: [www.amazon.com]

(healthy alternative for extra calories)

raw chlorella: [www.amazon.com]

(removes heavy metals)

raw hemp seeds: [www.amazon.com]

(high on GLA gamma-linolenic acid. regulates functions in cells. prevents hair loss. dry hair-skin)

spirulina: www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Spirulina-Powder-Ounce/dp/B000GFPD2E/ref=sr_1_2

(esential fatty acids. EPA, DHA, ALA. high in GLA like hemp seeds. AA)

hmmm. add more if you like with some small explanation smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 09:27PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: some ideas for supplementing a raw vegan diet
Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: October 13, 2013 09:56PM

Regardless of diet, kelp is all round good mineral supplement. Great source of very hard to get trace and ultra-trace elements. Not all brands are good though, Natures Way and Now Foods are high quality.

Kelp Seaweed Health Benefits

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: October 14, 2013 12:16AM

Yes, kelp to the rescue!

Panchito, do you work for Amazon lol, just kidding, formerly rzman10001

Remember the definition of a raw food vegan is just 75% raw right. I could be wrong but this is what I have been told.

Date: October 14, 2013 12:49AM

l find seaweeds to be one of the most important parts of my diet. Green juices and sprouted chia is also very important, and some algaes as a backup. l can't talk about these foods enough, they are excellent!

Date: October 14, 2013 10:07AM

TMG(Tri-Methyl-Glycine) is another all round good supplement for most individuals. TMG acts as a methyl-donor supporting the methylation process in the body. Many people have problems with impaired or blocked methylation which causes toxic metals to build up and conditions such as CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and so on.

TMG has so many documented benefits including acting as a methyl-donor, supports cardiovascular health by reducing homocysteine, supports the livers detoxification process, activates the parasympathetic branch of the nervous system(which aids healing and recovery), has anti-depressant properties, increases protein synthesis, helps those with genetic metabolism errors and much more.

NOW Foods TMG(Tri-Methyl-Glycine)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 10:08AM by powerlifter.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 14, 2013 07:18PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> l find seaweeds to be one of the most important
> parts of my diet. Green juices and sprouted chia
> is also very important, and some algaes as a
> backup. l can't talk about these foods enough,
> they are excellent!

Can you recommend a good online supplier of seaweeds?

Date: October 14, 2013 10:21PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> TMG(Tri-Methyl-Glycine) is another all round good
> supplement for most individuals.
> NOW Foods TMG(Tri-Methyl-Glycine)

why would you get a pill when you can get it natural?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Food TMG per 100g

Quinoa 630 mg
Spinach 577 mg

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 14, 2013 11:57PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> l find seaweeds to be one of the most important
> parts of my diet. Green juices and sprouted chia
> is also very important, and some algaes as a
> backup. l can't talk about these foods enough,
> they are excellent!

Just because they are nutritious does not make them food. Dirt is nutritious too. Doug Graham had it right, these foods do not appeal to our natural taste. These foods have to be doctored up with seasonings to be eaten.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 15, 2013 12:19AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > l find seaweeds to be one of the most important
> > parts of my diet. Green juices and sprouted
> chia
> > is also very important, and some algaes as a
> > backup. l can't talk about these foods enough,
> > they are excellent!
>
> Just because they are nutritious does not make
> them food. Dirt is nutritious too. Doug Graham had
> it right, these foods do not appeal to our natural
> taste. These foods have to be doctored up with
> seasonings to be eaten.

Are you talking about seaweed? If so, I didn't know that Dr. Graham was familiar with my taste buds. I know this is gross, but when I was a kid I ate fish food. I realize now it was just some sort of seaweed (I think...) but I actually love the taste of seaweed and have eaten nori and dulse as is.

Date: October 15, 2013 12:42AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:

>
> Just because they are nutritious does not make
> them food.

They are food because they enhance your feeling of well being from the diet and they have many things we can utilise to our benefit.

Dirt is a different story because it contains inorganic minerals that are of very limited use where-as sea weeds contain organic minerals.

>Doug Graham had
> it right, these foods do not appeal to our natural
> taste.
That's a very simplistic way to look at things. I think it's much better to look at the entire picture in context with a modern world, not a simplified narrow viewpoint from a `garden of eden' perspective.

Do greens appeal naturally to our taste buds? I would say not...it generally takes some getting used to for most people, and yet Dr Graham promotes eating greens. With sea weeds it is a similar thing. Actually, l love my sea weeds, and so do many folks.

Does non fresh store bought upripe fruit appeal to our taste buds? In many cases, yes, but this isn't ideal. See how his theory starts to reveal cracks? lt all sounds good on the surface, but it is a very simplistic way to see things and can possibly land folks in trouble if they see things from such a simplistic point of view. We don't live in a healthy world anymore so other foods like fresh greens and sea weeds need to be introduced into the diet to boost nutrition levels and to reduce radiation and pollution effects.

>These foods have to be doctored up with
> seasonings to be eaten.
Personally, l find fermented sea weeds to be perhaps the favourite part of my diet. Delicious! I think some people do have a taste for seaweeds, perhaps the Japanese might be an example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 12:44AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 15, 2013 12:43AM

here's the quote from Doug Graham (The 80/10/10 Diet, p. 247):

"...I do not recommend the consumption of sea life under any circumstances. Humans are terrestrial creatures and as such our digestive capacities and nutritional requirements are adapted to the consumption of plants from the land. Aquatic plants and animals are not our natural foods, nor does their nutritional makeup match our needs.

"If you disagree, take yourself to the oceanside one day and collect some of your own fresh algae or seaweed. I think you will find these "foods", as they appear unprocessed in nature, to be abhorrent in taste. Compare this reaction to the sensory trill that you experience when you see, smell, and taste a perfectly ripe piece of fruit picked fresh from the tree. Your visceral response to these two scenarios should tell you unequivocally which of these items is food for humans."

....NO FURTHER COMMENTS....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 12:45AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 15, 2013 01:00AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> here's the quote from Doug Graham (The 80/10/10
> Diet, p. 247):
>
> " Humans are terrestrial
> creatures and as such our digestive capacities and
> nutritional requirements are adapted to the
> consumption of plants from the land".

That theory doesn't wash with me at all. So is he saying that our digestive capabilities are adapted to eating commonly sourced foods high tannin, high phytic acid, high oxalic acid land food (certain veggies, nuts, seeds) is o.k? If he is...he is well off the mark because it completely runs contrary to science and real world experiences, and so does the eating of unripe store bought fruit which is often high in polyphenols. I don't know what world Dr Graham is living in, but it is certainly not the real world....it might be the fantasy world. winking smiley

Is this just another over simplified theory of his? Does he provide good science references to back up his statement?

Far from impressed with that type of kindergarten talk (l hope you get my corny sense of phrase intended with some humour here). winking smiley His theories are full of holes, that's why many people don't take him seriously.

There is lots of kindergarten talk in the raw food world. Kindergarten folk (raw food leaders) teach their students kindergarten talk via leactures and stuff written in books. Lots of things said is not information, it is stuff. winking smiley

Aquatic
> plants are not our natural foods, nor
> does their nutritional makeup match our needs.
Does he go into more detail and provide the science of this, or is it just another of his fancy theories?

>
> "If you disagree, take yourself to the oceanside
> one day and collect some of your own fresh algae
> or seaweed. I think you will find these "foods",
> as they appear unprocessed in nature, to be
> abhorrent in taste. Compare this reaction to the
> sensory trill that you experience when you see,
> smell, and taste a perfectly ripe piece of fruit
> picked fresh from the tree. Your visceral response
> to these two scenarios should tell you
> unequivocally which of these items is food for
> humans."

A pretty simplified viewpoint....it's a theory. I LOVE the smell of beach kelp and the sea weeds l have at home.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 01:14AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 15, 2013 03:14AM

How can anyone argue with the non-logic that is proffered up by people like Doug Graham? Didn't all the land mammals originally evolve from sea creatures. Whales, dolphins, seals, etc need to come up for air to breathe, and we evolved from them. Or for the sake of the argument do we only go as far back as the apes, not our original ancestors, just to suit out pet theory?

And where were these wonderfully abundant fruit trees that we were supposed to feed off located, where people just walked up to a tree and picked the perfectly ripe fruit from? Our ancestors in prehistoric times didn't have fruit orchards as we know them now, and the only place would have been the tropics. In a previous post I summarised how it really is in the tropics where the trees are extremely high, and how nonsensical it was to pretend to live in a fruit Nirvana.

A lot of the fruit would have been half eaten by the birds, worms, bugs, apes, etc before it fell to the ground, and many would have been full of bugs and worms. Can someone please explain where this fruit ' Garden of Eden ' was, and how it got there, as opposed to how it really was is in the tropics where man has not interfered?

Date: October 15, 2013 03:41AM

Good post BJ. People who are talking nonsense in the movement will be called out, it's only a matter of time. It's time for the old outdated dream-land thinking to be overtaken by new age thinking. We have now got a lot of information and we have the past to learn from mistakes, so lets move on and do things much better.

That being said....l am off fruit until next year. Don't want any of it. If l could pick it from a tree l would eat it, but l am NOT buying fruit from any shops. Here that RawPracticalist. winking smiley

Date: October 15, 2013 02:15PM

Doug Graham monumental work is as scientific as you can get them. If you are off fruit for a year that is your choice in missing out on the best food for humans. Go and feed on urine, fermented beans and grains, seaweeds. These were not meant for humans just as eating meat was not for us.

With only your two hands you cannot go out and hunt for meat and eat it. That they are all well packed in stores is a deception, the same goes for seaweed. You cannot go to the sea and pick seaweed and bring it to the table for lunch or dinner. Your guess will vomit, the children will run away, your spouse will divorce you.

The food for human is fruit and vegetables, you can grow them in your garden, in your backyard. If you cannot get nourishment on tomatoes, apples, bananas, lettuce, then there is something wrong with you. you have not been able to heal yourself to a natural state, you have to continuously rely on fermented urine, fermented beans and the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 02:18PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: October 15, 2013 07:48PM

RawPracticalist, I guess you have never seen Bears eat sea-vegies in the ocean when they feel the need to or are low on other sources of food. I would believe a bear over that nut Doug Graham any day! And yes you can go right to the ocean and get some sea vegies and eat them. I don't like to eat Kale either without some kind of dressing to cover that horrid taste, but I don't go around persecuting others for doing so on the word of some nut on youtube lol. I love the way sea vegies taste, and how they make me feel. I guarantee you if you gave some to a young child before they got sucked into the junk food life they would love it. And Brian Clement, the leader on the issue, will tell you the dangers of eating too much fruit for most of the population. Formerly rzman10001

Date: October 15, 2013 09:00PM

Doug Graham has spoken the truth.

And there is an easy way to test this.

Put some children around a table with a bowl of fruits and another bowl of seaweed you have just picked from the sea, what do you think the children will choose to eat?

We are not just talking about nutrients but enjoying food in its natural state.

Date: October 16, 2013 12:20AM

RawPractilast, you're missing the whole point of this discussion. You need to leave your ego out of this. We aren't saying you shouldn't be eating fruit. What we are saying is the nonsense that keeps getting repeated just doesn't stand up to what is really happening. They're straw man arguments - as soon as the wind blows, they fall over.

Why is the success rate of 100% fruit diets almost zero? Why is Doug recommending 10% of calories from leafy greens when they aren't that natural or tasty? We aren't cows or herbivores. If we use your or his logic why bother with having to eat leafy greens.

What's so natural living in the temperate zone and eating bananas that were picked green ( so the birds wouldn't eat them ), ripened in artificial gases and then transported thousands of miles?

And as I've asked before, where was this tropical fruit Nirvana we are told about from the past? There were no orchards with nicely planted fruit trees and manicured lawns where you could just walk up and grab perfectly ripened fruit that hadn't been half eaten by birds, worms, bugs, monkeys etc. And if we're so closely related the the monkeys, why do they eat lizards, bugs and insects and not us? Maybe they need a small amount of concentrated food to keep themselves satisfied.

The world we live in is the only one that matters. What might have been a million years ago is of no relevance to anyone now. We're here trying to help people get healthy and well, and not make the same mistakes a lot of us made.

I have nothing against eating fruit or raw food, but if the 100% raw diet doesn't work for 97% of the population, why lead them down a dangerous and unnecessary path when they can have a happy healthy life by knowing all the facts.

Date: October 16, 2013 08:39AM

You are assuming a lot of things. I do not follow on all fruits diet. I do not follow Doug Graham diet plan. I live mostly on indoor greens that I grow myself. I eat fruits.
But Doug Graham has valid point, seaweeds are not for humans, you cannot eat them as they are.

Date: October 16, 2013 10:57PM

I like to supplement with medicinal mushrooms to support health, my favorites being Reishi, Chaga and Cordyceps.

Some of the benefits of medicinal mushrooms include immuno-modulating properties, anti-inflammatory, adaptogen, adrenal supportive, anti-viral(Chaga especially), anti-oxidant, increase energy, protect the liver and possibly even anti-cancer benefits as research is showing us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2013 10:58PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 20, 2013 10:27AM

Just about everyone raised in Hawaii eats seaweed. Fresh seaweed, dried seaweed, whatever. Same thing for most Pacific island nations.

Sometimes a food is not routine in a certain culture. The people in that culture never had it growing up, so they think it must be bad and no one else could possibly like it.

To respond to the original post, I'm experimenting with sprouted garbanzo beans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 10:29AM by suncloud.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:29AM

i like seaweed
especially if its iodine rich
kelp
i LOVE dulse too

Date: October 21, 2013 10:12PM

in a documentary about human diaspora along the coastal areas, humans were making seeweed balls and drying them up on rocks

Date: October 22, 2013 02:11AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Just about everyone raised in Hawaii eats seaweed.
> Fresh seaweed, dried seaweed, whatever. Same
> thing for most Pacific island nations.
>
> Sometimes a food is not routine in a certain
> culture. The people in that culture never had it
> growing up, so they think it must be bad and no
> one else could possibly like it.
>
> To respond to the original post, I'm experimenting
> with sprouted garbanzo beans.

Are there any pictures to prove this, people eating fresh seaweed?
These foods have to be prepared, re-packaged, "cooked" before any human consumption.
Doug Graham has a point. Let's get real.
For those eating meat, how many would go hunt a deer bare hands and eat it.
The food for humans is fruit.
It does not cost you anything to pick an apple from a tree and eat it.

Date: October 22, 2013 08:00AM

When was the last time you went around to a banana palm a picked a ripe banana from it?
When was the last time you went around to a date palm and grabbed a handful of dates?

It's a nonsense argument that Doug Graham offers. We aren't living in neanderthal times. Do you use hot water to shower with? There were no hot showers a million years ago, so does that mean it's not natural to shower? Do you cut your hair? No one cut their hair millions of years ago. We aren't living in the past.We have options now and should make the most of them. Good health is more important than a nonsense argument of what went on a million years ago.

Where was this fruit paradise in the past that you and Doug Graham are talking about? This is the fourth time I have asked this question, and so far no one has responded. There were no nicely mown, evenly planted fruit orchards where people could just go and grab an apple without the birds, worms, bugs and insects eating them? If you lived in the tropics you would be living in the dense jungle / rainforest competing with all the other animals for the small amount of low lying fruit and the fruit that fell rotten to the ground. Can you explain your tropical fruit paradise from the past where you could just walk up to a fruit tree that no other animal, bird or insect touched?

There's nothing wrong with eating fruit, just the nonsense arguments about it.

Date: October 22, 2013 11:15AM

BJ Wrote:
> When was the last time you went around to a banana
> palm a picked a ripe banana from it?
> When was the last time you went around to a date
> palm and grabbed a handful of dates?
>
> It's a nonsense argument that Doug Graham offers.
> We aren't living in neanderthal times. Do you use
> hot water to shower with? There were no hot
> showers a million years ago, so does that mean
> it's not natural to shower? Do you cut your hair?
> No one cut their hair millions of years ago. We
> aren't living in the past.We have options now and
> should make the most of them. Good health is more
> important than a nonsense argument of what went
> on a million years ago.
>
> Where was this fruit paradise in the past that
> you and Doug Graham are talking about? This is the
> fourth time I have asked this question, and so far
> no one has responded. There were no nicely mown,
> evenly planted fruit orchards where people could
> just go and grab an apple without the birds,
> worms, bugs and insects eating them? If you lived
> in the tropics you would be living in the dense
> jungle / rainforest competing with all the other
> animals for the small amount of low lying fruit
> and the fruit that fell rotten to the ground. Can
> you explain your tropical fruit paradise from the
> past where you could just walk up to a fruit tree
> that no other animal, bird or insect touched?
>
> There's nothing wrong with eating fruit, just the
> nonsense arguments about it.

Food trade and distribution is as old as the universe. If you cannot get fruits from your backyard, you can walk to the closest store and buy them, unaltered, ripe, ready to eat.
Seeds are fruits, you can do indoor sprouting with them, and harvest your little sprouts and greens.

With hydroponics many are growing tomatoes indoor.

[www.google.com]

People want to come up all kind of excuses when life can be so simple.
Doug Graham got it right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 11:20AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables