Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My organic market false advertising
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 03, 2013 07:47PM

My coop is passing off Oregon Almonds as " Raw " and " Sprouted" I thought you cannot sprout a pasteurized almond into a tree, it just puffs up, but does not grow. I look on the internet and everyone is saying steam pasteurized means it can still sprout and grow into a tree. This cannot be true, right, Isnt steam pasteurizing killing the plant? Puffing up does not mean sprouted no? I wrote my Coop a letter. Our other Coop in OLY carries Almonds from Spain labeled TRULY RAW and next to the Oregon almonds a big sign that says STEAM PASTEURIZED. Why is my coop false advertising?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My organic market false advertising
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: November 05, 2013 07:36AM

Advertising isn't about telling people the truth about a product, it's about selling the product to people. The truth has nothing to do with advertising. As for people using the term ' organic ', it's meaningless as well these days. If you want the truth then you need to do what you did - check out the veracity of the claims.

If you can't trust health and raw gurus to tell the complete truth, how do you expect the mainstream companies to tell the whole truth!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:32PM

maybe they meant "raw" as opposed to "roasted." As in if it is not roasted it is raw.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: November 10, 2013 05:45PM

they say they only steam them long enough so that the outside of the nut gets cleaned. why would they say they are sprouted if they are steamed?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 10, 2013 06:34PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My coop is passing off Oregon Almonds as " Raw "
> and " Sprouted" I thought you cannot sprout a
> pasteurized almond into a tree, it just puffs up,
> but does not grow. I look on the internet and
> everyone is saying steam pasteurized means it can
> still sprout and grow into a tree. This cannot be
> true, right, Isnt steam pasteurizing killing the
> plant? Puffing up does not mean sprouted no? I
> wrote my Coop a letter. Our other Coop in OLY
> carries Almonds from Spain labeled TRULY RAW and
> next to the Oregon almonds a big sign that says
> STEAM PASTEURIZED. Why is my coop false
> advertising?

I am totally confused here. What is OLY, by the way? In any case, supposedly the ones from Spain are really raw (Trader Joe's also sells them). Is it possible that there are two types and the ones from OR are steam-pasteurized next to the Spanish ones?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:15PM

It makes no sense to me either. OLY means Olympia washington. I get so mad every time I go in. I buy my almonds from the other coop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables