Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Who knew weight loss could be this easy?
Posted by: RawRookie ()
Date: November 19, 2006 05:03PM

So it’s been 1 week since I really committed myself to eat a higher raw diet. This doesn’t mean I am any where near able to call myself a raw foodist but my percent of raw foods is gradually increasing as time goes on. Last Monday I weighed in at a whopping 146.5 lbs (I am 5’8) – the highest I’ve been in YEARS. Much to my delight – the lbs are just melting away. This morning I am 142!!!! I really think I can get to my goal weight in no time and do it in the healthiest way possible – do what’s best for my body. One week and so much positivity from eating a higher percent raw!

I sleep better, I feel better, I know when I am actually hungry. When you all talked about learning what your body needs I didn’t know if I’d ever know that feeling – but I know I am just beginning that journey. I feel lighter, not bloated (when I eat bad food I am constantly bloated), and overall happy! I just bought a juicer and I am really excited to see where this takes me! My next purchase will be a dehydrator – I love dehydrated fruit!

Anyway -I just wanted to thank you all for all your help so far. I have been learning so much from all of you!

I have one question – is there a resource where I can find a list or a guideline to what fruits and veggies are actually FRUITS? I like the idea of being a fruitarian – it fit’s more my lifestyle and my habits already.

Thanks so much,

Rachel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who knew weight loss could be this easy?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2006 05:39PM

Right on

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 19, 2006 08:50PM

The botanical definition of a fruit is the part carrying the seed, so tomatoes, capsicum peppers, cucumber, courgette, squash, peas (in their pods, the pea itself is the seed), etc, are all fruits.

Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, etc, are not fruits.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 19, 2006 09:30PM

Also eggplant, okra and the non-sweet melons (squash family).

But I think sometimes these botanical fruits violate the true intent of fruitarianism because the plants die every year. Contrast this with the fruit tree that lives and continues to produce after the season ends.

Not that I am promoting an even more restrictive fruitarian diet: I eat a lot of greens. But I don't know of any edible leafy tips of tree leaves. Somebody please post if they do know.

Date: November 19, 2006 10:29PM

I'm slowly learning about edible tree leaves - hawthorn, beech, lime (not the citrus fruit) and ginkgo biloba are a few I know about. It seems most tree leaves are best to eat in the Spring, they are nice and tender then, later in the year they can become quite tough.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: Elphaba ()
Date: November 20, 2006 11:38AM

Congratulations, Rachel!

I am somewhat new to Raw Foods, myself.

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 20, 2006 04:53PM

Funky Rob

do you think that there is any kind of detrimental effect to the tree ... to eat the young leaves in spring?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2006 02:19PM

Hi Vegan John,

I just finished getting my science degree in horticulture. In one of my classes, I believe it was a pruning class or maybe it was a fruit tree short course, I learned that the tree stores carbohydrates in the leaves and that during the summer monthes the tree takes from the banked storage to complete its energy levels. I know that pruning out more than 30% of the interrior canopy can rob the tree of its needed vital carbohydrate storeage.

In the fall, the deciduous trees drain the stored sugars back into the root structure and stores them for the spring foliar emergence. If you eat the leaves of trees, it seems logical that the highest concentration of carbohydrates and phytochemicals are present in the spring months.

Timot

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 22, 2006 03:07PM

Congratulations Rachel.
To look for fruits and vegetables you could use [www.nutritiondata.com] it is a good resource, it tells whether food is inflammitory or anti-inflmammitory, nutrient content, amino acid score etc.

You can choose fruits or vegetables as categories and then type 'raw' as the keyword so you don't get all the cooked foods.

I find it useful.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2006 03:16PM by jadedshade.

Date: November 22, 2006 11:03PM

vegan john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funky Rob
>
> do you think that there is any kind of detrimental
> effect to the tree ... to eat the young leaves in
> spring?

Well, yes of course! But probably only minor as long as you don't pick too many. A mature tree may have hundreds of leaves, picking a couple here and there is not going to hurt it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables