Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is Rejuvelac still recommended?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 01, 2013 12:16AM

Great info, thanks Sproutarian Man! I guess grinding in smoothies helps with digestibility, but yeah that makes a lot of sense about the sprouting maximising the nutrition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 01, 2013 02:53AM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great info, thanks Sproutarian Man! I guess
> grinding in smoothies helps with digestibility,
> but yeah that makes a lot of sense about the
> sprouting maximising the nutrition.

Blending is a very funny thing, lots of things going on when you blend, and not all of it is good. l blend many things too, but l make sure l blend in small sessions (1 - 2 glasses at a time) and no more than 30 seconds.

So what is so bad about blending? There are various issues at play here. Michael Bergonzi is a very talented horticulturalist who worked for many years at the highly regarded Hippocrates Health Institute. He did a bunch of experiments with the blender. He blended water for 60 seconds, let it cool and then watered pot plants for one month. He also used tap water and watered pot plants. The ones drinking the blended water all died!!! The plants using the tap water survived. This tells us that the electromagnetic frequency is altered (lowered) by the blending and is not conductive to true high level health. Cooking also destroys the frequency in food, but people survive because the body makes adjustments, BUT it comes with the price of lowered healing, lowered vitality and probably lowered consciousness.

The price paid by blending is a lowered level of well being. For example, people with serious health problems with their organs will not heal near as well when greens are blended no matter how good and raw the diet. Juicing and eating foods has far better healing properties. This is my experience and Dr Brian Clement reports exactly the same thing with his patients at HHI. Blending does indeed take away the true power of the foods and alters electric frequency, and this is a problem because we are bioelectric beings that respond well to high level electrical frequency. The plants prove this, l have proven this, and Dr Clement has proved this many many times.

Another possible issue is that blending may destroy some minerals. l can't be sure, but l do know that science has shown milling and grinding foods does indeed destroy various minerals. Maybe blending is the same.

Another possible issue is when Dr Brian Clement claims to have had a scientist at the Uni of Florida test to see if blending destroys nutrition, and the results weren't good. Brian claims that 85% of the enzymes are destroyed with 90 - 120 seconds of blending. If this is true then the chelation of nutrition will be negatively effected and the nutrition level will drop. l don't see why he has any reason to lie about this...all Brian wants to do is do the best things to help his patients get well.

The good news is that any harmful effects to the food by blending can be minimised by doing 30 second blends, drink the food and then do some more blending if need be. And yes, the blended food can still give high energy, but why is this? I think it's because the food has been chopped up and passes through the body quicker and this takes the burden off the body and frees up the energy levels, + there would still be some good nutrition left in the smoothy despite the frequency being altered.

The blending companies will always dissagree and say blending is the greatest thing ever, but we can prove various things to show this is not exactly true. Victoria Boutenko would dissagree, but her explanations of the science are highly unconvincing and iffy.

The best thing about blending is that it is convenient, easy clean up, and saves people having to spend so long eating raw meals.

30 second blends are good. Fill the blender 1/4 of the way. Just an idea.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 02:57AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 01, 2013 03:09AM

Interesting. If blending destroys nutrients how do you make the sprouted and fermented mug beans palatable. Fermenting make them less palatable and I was blending some of the fermented beans with carrots or bananas

Date: December 01, 2013 04:01AM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> Interesting. If blending destroys nutrients how do
> you make the sprouted and fermented mug beans
> palatable.

l soak the beans first and then give them a very short blend.

.Fermenting make them less palatable and
> I was blending some of the fermented beans with
> carrots or bananas

l find that the opposite. Fermenting makes them very tasty.

Btw, l shouldn't have said that blending destroys enzymes. l meant to say that blending inactivates the role of enzymes.

Hard to imagine minerals being destroyed too, but science papers have said that on various occasions.

Date: December 01, 2013 04:29AM

Great I will go for the short blend. My very expensive high speed blender will become useless.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 01, 2013 06:49AM

One way blending destroys nutrition is by working large quantities of oxygen in from the air which oxidizes many different nutrients rendering them useless or worse.

Date: December 01, 2013 09:57PM

The green smoothies revolution is dead.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 01, 2013 11:16PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> The green smoothies revolution is dead.

??????????????????????????????

I like persimmons.

Date: December 02, 2013 11:39AM

wow, thanks for all this info Sproutarian Man! Paradigm shifts all the way! I've heard the arguments against blending before but kind of ignored them in the past. Lately I've been making big batches of juice/smoothie mixtures - juicing veggies then adding them to the blender with easier digestible stuff like cucumbers and fruit... but maybe I'll go back to plain old juicing, and just eat the other stuff with my teeth winking smiley I've never gone down the road of buying an expensive Vitamix, but I did spend money on a good juicer (green star).
So what do you think of the people who make juice by blending everything in a high-speed blender then straining it? Guess that's a no-no then huh?

Date: December 02, 2013 12:43PM

Yes, I was just thinking, that when people (cooked foodie people!) ask me for advice about eating healthier, one of the first things I recommend is a green smoothie for breakfast, and I think I would still do this, as it is so easily implemented (juicing requires such dedication!) and even with its flaws I'm sure it's still a lot healthier than their current breakfast (usually cereal / toast etc!).

Another thing that sprung to mind is that I usually add kefir to my smoothies and let them ferment for a bit. I reckon that this would at least go some way towards negating the effects of blending, in terms of oxidation and mineral loss. But it's just my guess (I make this stuff up as I go along, lol)

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 02, 2013 04:05PM

Brian Clements and many others have said the same thing. High speed blending of greens is not healthy but it may be better than eating SAD. I prefer to juice them with a low speed juicer. It takes time but it is healthier, and you can add a ferment to the juice following advice from the Sproutarian. I prefer blending fruits and sprouts at low speed for 30 seconds.

Many on the raw foods will eat 30 bananas a day because eating bananas is easy, simple, no dish to wash but is it healthy in the long run even though it is better than many of the SAD meals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 04:09PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 02, 2013 05:24PM

"The problem with rejuvelac is that most batches are contaminated with bad bacteria,

that study done years ago did show 60% of batches were bad"

Making rejuvelac is like making any fermented product, beer, wine, yogurt, etc. If you're a hack you may get bad results, but if you're competent you'll get 100% excellent results.

Date: December 02, 2013 09:24PM

lisa m Wrote:

> So what do you think of the people who make juice
> by blending everything in a high-speed blender
> then straining it? Guess that's a no-no then huh?

Lets be under no illusion that there are better ways to be doing things. I am not saying blenders are bad, but see them for what they are.

The main benefit is that:

* they are convenient
* make it easy for people to get lots of food into them easily
* make it easy for people with SAD mentality (many raw fooders) to get that full feeling with blended food (piles lots of food into the stomach quickly and makes you bottom heavy)
* makes it easier for people to get greens into them if the disguise it with fruit.
* saves having to spend hours chewing your food.

If you can get to a stage where you can get past that, great, but if not, try to limit blending times. l still do some blending because l am too busy to spend 2 hours each night carefully chewing my food, + when l chew big raw salads l end up painfully biting parts of my lip and side of my cheek, and after a week of doing that l have chunks bitten out of my face.

I used to chew all my food and juice (purist), but l was really dedicated. l had the type of job where l could sit at my desk and chew my lunch carefully for 90 minutes, and l would get home and have a huge salad and chew that for 2 hours.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 02, 2013 09:56PM

powerlifter Wrote:

> If you are consuming smoothies and juices straight
> away then the nutrient loss is going to be pretty
> minimal from oxidization with quick blending.
>

Definitely. l drink juices within 5 minutes and smoothies within 15 minutes. Dr Clement's scientists say that juice starts going declining after 15 minutes and smoothies really start to decline after about 30 minutes. They also say that wheatgrass declines quickly after 5 minutes, and this is not surprising because wheatgrass is a very high fiber plant and obviously needs that fiber to protect the nutrients. I once blended apples (the only time l ever blended fruit by itself) and they went brown in under 5 minutes.

Of course the companies selling the juicing and blending equipment will make all types of claims and say they can beat nature and have juices and smoothies last for days, but l don't believe a word of it and neither do a bunch of people. They might have technology that can keep some nutient in the juice or smoothie for a day, but there wouldn't be much imo. Actually, l find that blended sprouts start tasting sour after 30 minutes, this shows that the decline in the food is well under way.

I know many people don't want to read these things (the youtube comments are quite nasty towards Dr Clement), but better to be aware than put your head in the sand.

It is also interesting about the food combining aspect. Hippocrates clearly state that blending greens with fruit will cause the acids in fruit to ferment the carbohydrates in the greens, and while many folks don't report problems, l certainly did. Once l blended one apple with green sprouts (only one time ever) and had terrible stomach pains and gas. I've also blended grains with nuts (another bad combination) and l felt energy drops. I've blended nuts and seeds (another bad combination) and i've had energy drops. I know food combining is controversal, but my experience reflects HHI's exactly and it does apply to blending in my experience. Maybe other people don't feel the effects because their body is used to these poor combinations. ?? I once ate sesame seeds 30 minutes after some bananas and i've never forgotten the experience and probably never will...thought l was going to shoot to the moon.

People who drink smoothies often report gas. Fermentation?

Date: December 03, 2013 12:01AM

Nobody like to chew, nobody likes to cook.
Just watch people eat at a restaurant, most chew about 3 times, and ready to swallow to get the next piece.
So when you have been raised that way and coming from SAD, green smoothies is the solution.
You may be growing the best fresh microgreens indoor but at the end how do you eat them. Juicing takes a long time, and chewing requires that you prepare the food into a meal, a salad. But blending, you are done in less than 10 minutes.

Date: December 03, 2013 01:50AM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> Nobody like to chew, nobody likes to cook.
> Just watch people eat at a restaurant, most chew
> about 3 times, and ready to swallow to get the
> next piece.
> So when you have been raised that way and coming
> from SAD, green smoothies is the solution.
> You may be growing the best fresh microgreens
> indoor but at the end how do you eat them. Juicing
> takes a long time, and chewing requires that you
> prepare the food into a meal, a salad. But
> blending, you are done in less than 10 minutes.

Very well said. Blending definitely has it's advantages. Green smoothies/blending has brought many people to much better health. I am greatful we have such machines.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 04, 2013 08:39PM

Once I made sauerkraut and it was full of maggots. My point is , even rejuvelac can be botched. Just try try again until you like it. I love it. Its bubbly and you can make a raw champagne if you mix rejuvelac and juice together. You can make almond cheese.
If you have wheatberries and time on your hands.

I say the time you leave to ferment, shorten it, you just want a tang.

I do not see it as bad thing.

Prana, doesnt the salt slow down the fermentation..kill the good stuff?

Sproutarian man, I agree with you

Date: December 04, 2013 09:49PM

coconutcream Wrote:

>
> Prana, doesnt the salt slow down the
> fermentation..kill the good stuff?

Not my question, but salt does slow down the fermentation, but it doesn't kill the good stuff.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 09, 2013 12:13AM

I have some cabbage in my fridge, Its been so long since I made a sauerkraut. I used to make it with apples and cabbage. These days you can buy krauters. That press it down for you.

Date: December 10, 2013 04:49AM

Cabbage is the supreme cleanser

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables