Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Did you know we've been blessed with the superfoods movement?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 03, 2013 09:16PM

Raw guru Matt Monarch says we should drop the dogma: [www.youtube.com]

Okay, as I am watching this it's a sly reference to Freelea and Harley because they are against superfoods.

Okay, tell me if this is plausible: Matt seems to imply that the nutritional value of foods has gone down, seemingly since he began 100% raw 14+ years ago. Now I don't doubt it's gone down over the years, but to suggest it's been a lot worse since he started seems like a stretch. He also cites Fukishima as another possible reason to need more superfoods.

See, he mentions maca but I don't consider maca to be a superfood in the sense of a supplement because it's a tuber. Maybe I am not just understanding his definition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 09:24PM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did you know we've been blessed with the superfoods movement?
Date: December 03, 2013 10:33PM

Is Matt suggesting we take this maca from packets, but what about the body healing bioelectric energies that will be lost from the plant? Why not have fresh foods with high levels of hormones and nutrients?

High fiber root vegetables absorbable when eaten raw? Maybe that's why they are traditionally cooked, to break down the harsh fiber and various anti nutrients.

I am sure it does help, but l would rather stick with fresh foods. Even if l did import some, how can l be sure it isn't irradiated or cooked? Does the grinding of these foods into powders destroy some minerals like various science journals claims? It's a very iffy track to go down. And if you have the maca, better watch out for those goitrogens. winking smiley

If you can find some fresh maca, great. If not, it might be better to find something else. As Matt said, there are lots of ways to do the raw diet because there are lots of good foods out there.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 04, 2013 06:59AM

I think I agree with much of what Sproutarian Man just wrote - at least for me. Powdered anything doesn't seem to work too well. On the other hand, if some people like this kind of thing, what the heck. It's vegan, and fine with me.

Can't say that for the deer antlers though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 07:12AM by suncloud.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 04, 2013 07:21AM

Just noticed something over at RawFoodWorld....Did Matt and Angela stop selling Deer Antler Essence? I couldn't find it on their site. It's usually with their Jing Herbs, and I don't think it's there!

If they stopped selling it, yay for them! My heroes!

Date: December 04, 2013 03:38PM

This is my deal: I believe it is still possible to consume everything you need to consume in order to remain healthy and not break the bank at the same time. This crap about the foods being less nutritious is...well...crap. If you JUICED every day you would be receiving fresh foods in organic water, not powdered foods that need to be consumed with some liquid. You could include a head of non-organic parsley (either home-grown or from the store--.79 a bunch) with a pound of organic carrots for about a buck and make a very nutritious and inexpensive juice. You could sprout daily for pennies and have that living supplement.

But the kicker was when Matt said (this could be in another recent video--not sure) that some cooked foods are more nutritious than raw ones! I hear that all the time from conventional sources. The tired line about lycopene. I just don't believe it. Maybe that doesn't make it not true but it doesn't resonate with me. It defies logic to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 03:39PM by banana who.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 04, 2013 08:21PM

Harley says Matt Monarch hires guys from India to post nice comments and get them views and report DRs videos as offensive.

I like Matt I read his book. He really is into enemas in his books.

He says he has to supplement with green juices. Even if it stained his teeth. He sells a tooth cleaning kit as well.

Some raw vegans supplement, at some times. That is all I am going to say. All I know is all the money I spent on supplements, and I spent alot...they never ever Never really did anything. Maybe just some green powders gave me energy the first time I used them. I took zinc pills, tachyon jewelry, cacao, maca, I drink maca everyday. I dont know do my hormones feel balanced? I just bought it because the raw food restaurant was selling them and I thought hey I could use a little female hormonal balance..yeah..

He really believes in Maca. He sounds like David Wolfe a little bit, in his talking, he is referring to studies. Improving rats memories. And the put through maze tests. And the maca rats perform better. Next time I am stuck in a maze I will drink maca. Maybe I need some now. lol.

I like Matt. He is a nice guy. I like where he lives, glad he is living the dream with a real raw food woman who can uncook. I would sit down and have a kale wrap with him anytime. As long as he doesnt try to sell me something or make me a distributor.

I know he loves Fred Bisci. I like this video. He is promoting raw foods. But also says we need supplements.

I think if you have trauma, broken bones.. you can eat raw marijuana or something to heal yourself. And eat the oil also for pain management. If you have something wrong with you, like a UTI you can just put some cranberries in your juice.

I remember David Wolfe's Beauty enzymes. The back said it will help get rid of all stagnation, I remember the ormus or the white gold, I got that too. I was waiting to see into the third dimension.

If you live in a place with no sun, you might have to supplement..with oranges from Florida...or Vitamin d I mean who knows. Noone is god. We will never know. We just all try to be the healthiest and best, also satisfied.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 08:26PM by coconutcream.

Date: December 04, 2013 10:19PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This crap about the foods being less
> nutritious is...well...crap.

I agree. Matt is greatly generalising and takes away from any credibility when he says such things. Has he tested the plants and soils, or does he have specific science to back this up? If he does, he needs to specify his sources if he wants to be taken seriously. Very few raw food leaders specify sources so what they say is to be taken with a grain of salt. If you are going to make claims you must have a list of published sources that you can state, or say that "it is now believed that"....

Anyway, sea vegetables are our friend and can make up for lost nutrition in the soil.

> But the kicker was when Matt said (this could be
> in another recent video--not sure) that some
> cooked foods are more nutritious than raw ones!

In some ways it is true and science does clearly confirm this with in vivo and in vitro testing. Still, with cooking there are things that work against the nutrition levels.

coconutcream Wrote:
> Harley says Matt Monarch hires guys from India to
> post nice comments

D.R reports lots of things that can't be backed up as evidence, so what he reports is mostly hearsay and can only be taken with a grain of salt. Being a third party to information doesn't prove it is true. This further damages any credibility he may have. Once you lose credibility you become a lightweight in the eyes of many and will do nothing to be taken seriously by leaders with true credibility and good knowledge.

The credibility issue is the big problem with the raw movement. People say whatever they like without good evidence to back up their claims. The raw food leaders have made the movement a laughing stock in the eyes of many.

> He really believes in Maca. He sounds like David
> Wolfe a little bit,
Yes, and it is not helping his credibility. Once you blow your credibility you are finished. David has blown his credibility and he is not taken seriously by many people anymore. If you start getting too much into salesmanship and making grand claims without stating good science you are going to lose credibility. You can probably fool most people most of the time, but continuing you do such tactics is going to eventually work against you because someone will eventually hang you out to dry and expose your nonsense.

Another thing....what are the long term effects of these various foods. Diet can do wonderful things in the short term, but what about the long term results of eating these various packaged foods? We need to be careful of these studies because they don't take into account the long term results of other factors in the diet such as non-bioenergetics and anti nutrients etc.

These raw food gurus need to talk about the whole picture with diet, but they never do because the pitfalls of the raw vegan diet will clearly rear their ugly head, OR, maybe they don't have a good grasp on diet knowledge in the first place. It's important to be real and tell the full story.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2013 10:31PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 04, 2013 11:52PM

The fact of the matter is that superfoods are extremely beneficial if you add them to your diet, he's 100% right. Soil has definitely become depleted and the quality is nowhere near what it used to be due to chemicals, pesticides, environmental pollution, genetically modified food and contamination, etc. Goji, acai, maqui, mangosteen, purple corn, maca, chlorella, and tons more are without a doubt more nutritious than 'standard' raw foods. That doesn't mean there aren't extremely beneficial raw "non superfoods".

Date: December 05, 2013 02:13AM

Here's what riled me: Matt stating that it's not about what you eat, it's what you DON'T eat. That is just utter bullshit. Yes, eliminating crap foods is of course super important. But again, if you have a nice juicer (like my Omega 8006 which is a masticating type but not uber expensive compared to other brands) you could do a little juice every day and I believe that would be a way better supplement than a dried powder or any tablet. That is the one thing I agree with DR and Freelea--that these gurus are now hawking superfoods because they can't make money on celery and beet juice. I am not against anyone making a buck but don't promote the meme that nothing you eat benefits you unless it's some expensive supplement!

I heard David Wolfe on some Internet show and he was literally recommending supplements to all the callers. I was stunned because I have two of his books and really like the dude's work. He knows his stuff and always promoted food as medicine. So it's a bit surprising to hear him do this.

Date: December 05, 2013 02:31AM

Superfood powders are not supplements, it IS food and medicine.

Date: December 05, 2013 03:00AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Superfood powders are not supplements, it IS food
> and medicine.

I agree that they are food items but do you really need chlorella tablets if you juice a bunch of organic parsley daily? You don't think that would give you a nice dose of chlorophyll? My point is that I bought some chlorella tabs recently, am returning them because they caused my throat to burn in the after taste. I am not overly sensitive to this sort of thing so it means they are probably toxic. I have used them before. So you never know what you are getting when you buy tablets and powders and how fresh can they really be? I just saw a video in which Matt was putting down a former B12 patch he sold as crap and now he's got an amazing one for sale!!! But what about the former one? At one time it was considered fine and dandy.

*Edit: I will give Matt credit for one thing: I had previously bought chlorella/spriulina tabs via his store and they were great. Actually I have done several orders with rawfoodworld. I have nothing against them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 03:03AM by banana who.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: December 05, 2013 03:06AM

You're ignoring the fact that it's a million times easier to consume a tablet or powder than it is to go through the drudgery of juicing. I enjoy the end-product of many juices but absolutely despise juicing. It's about as charming as factory work.

Date: December 05, 2013 03:17AM

HH Wrote:
> You're ignoring the fact that it's a million times
> easier to consume a tablet or powder than it is to
> go through the drudgery of juicing. I enjoy the
> end-product of many juices but absolutely despise
> juicing. It's about as charming as factory work.

Yeah well, I agree with you but I am going to set up my juicer to make it easier. Like have all the parts assembled after washing them. The cleanup isn't too bad, actually. It is lugging out the machine, searching thru cupboards for various parts, etc.

Date: December 05, 2013 03:19AM

Okay, LOL, Exhibit A. Was just looking in my spam folder and happened upon one of Matt's newsletters and the latest greatest supplement (food?) is reishi spore oil! winking smiley

Date: December 05, 2013 05:14AM

banana who Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Superfood powders are not supplements, it IS
> food
> > and medicine.
>
>
> I agree that they are food items but do you really
> need chlorella tablets if you juice a bunch of
> organic parsley daily? You don't think that would
> give you a nice dose of chlorophyll? My point is
> that I bought some chlorella tabs recently, am
> returning them because they caused my throat to
> burn in the after taste. I am not overly sensitive
> to this sort of thing so it means they are
> probably toxic. I have used them before. So you
> never know what you are getting when you buy
> tablets and powders and how fresh can they really
> be? I just saw a video in which Matt was putting
> down a former B12 patch he sold as crap and now
> he's got an amazing one for sale!!! But what about
> the former one? At one time it was considered fine
> and dandy.
>
> *Edit: I will give Matt credit for one thing: I
> had previously bought chlorella/spriulina tabs via
> his store and they were great. Actually I have
> done several orders with rawfoodworld. I have
> nothing against them.

Well, for one, chlorella does much more than just give you a hefty dose of chlorophyll. There's evidence that a healthy gut can produce its own B12 and B12 deficiency is typically a sign of other issues like not being able to digest and/or absorb the B12, or having an imbalance of healthy gut flora. B12 is naturally present in soil, but the problem with today is that the soil is so depleted due to all the stuff I previously said, that B12 is found in significantly lower amounts. Organic food presumably has higher levels, but pristine areas of nature where chemicals were never used should be very rich in B12. Plus it can be used for years by the body, meaning you'd have to go years without adding anymore to the diet in order to develop a deficiency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 05:15AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 05, 2013 05:17AM

Besides, what would you do to replace goji, camu camu, maqui, mangosteen, purple corn, acai, chaga/reishi mushrooms and plenty others? I get 745% vitamin C along with all the other phytochemicals and what not in a TEASPOON of camu camu powder (wild harvested, raw).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 05:18AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 05, 2013 05:20AM

CHAGA!!!!!!! I keep hearing DW go apeshit for that one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 05:20AM by banana who.

Date: December 05, 2013 05:51AM

Also, why not take an organic whole-foods multivitamin for extra protection? Why not take astaxanthin?

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 05, 2013 08:37AM

The superfood is the food you can sprout indoor. Fresh, organic.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 05, 2013 12:53PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Also, why not take an organic whole-foods
> multivitamin for extra protection? Why not take
> astaxanthin?

Why take something that does not work and waste money and energy.

Date: December 05, 2013 05:25PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> -----
> > Also, why not take an organic whole-foods
> > multivitamin for extra protection? Why not take
> > astaxanthin?
>
>
> Why take something that does not work and waste
> money and energy.

LOL!

Date: December 05, 2013 07:09PM

My point is simply that the juicer is very much a product of the guru sales machine, particularly someone like Dan MacDonald and the Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead guy. All these people (noobs mainly) are convinced that they need a juicer and various other contraptions in order to have a healthy diet. The truth is that all you have to do is eat your food in the simplest way imaginable. Wheatgrass juice? Fine. But do you need a high-maintenance, over-priced electric contraption to make that? Absolutely not. Get one of those manual set-ups and you'll be fine, not to mention significantly better off in the wallet.

Everything that everyone needs to know about health and diet can be explained in one or maybe a few youtube videos. It really is that simple.

banana who Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> -----
> > You're ignoring the fact that it's a million
> times
> > easier to consume a tablet or powder than it is
> to
> > go through the drudgery of juicing. I enjoy the
> > end-product of many juices but absolutely
> despise
> > juicing. It's about as charming as factory
> work.
>
>
> Yeah well, I agree with you but I am going to set
> up my juicer to make it easier. Like have all the
> parts assembled after washing them. The cleanup
> isn't too bad, actually. It is lugging out the
> machine, searching thru cupboards for various
> parts, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 07:10PM by HH.

Date: December 05, 2013 10:10PM

Make juice with your teeth. Use your claws, I mean, hands..is that right HH

I have this intuitive feeling that raw green powders are somehow, SUPERFOODISH

Date: December 05, 2013 10:38PM

Yeah why not? Don't get me wrong, I still use my Vita-Mix, but are all these gadgets really necessary? It seems to me that they just cause us to work more and spend more than we have to.

coconutcream Wrote:
> Make juice with your teeth. Use your claws, I
> mean, hands..is that right HH
>
> I have this intuitive feeling that raw green
> powders are somehow, SUPERFOODISH

Date: December 06, 2013 02:35AM

powerlifter Wrote:

>
> These herbs, superfoods etc have to be tailored to
> your needs. Many people don't understand the
> botanicals there consuming or the proper dosages,

Very well said.

powerlifter Wrote:

> But the real role of synthetic vitamins/minerals
> is correcting serious deficiencies which can't be
> overcome through food alone.

Yes yes yes. But try telling the average public that. Those marketing companies have convinced tham they need to be taking high levels of vitamins and minerals each day for the rest of their lives, and people think the higher doses you take the better off they will be.

As you have said, synthetics are only to correct serious deficiencies in the short to [possibly] medium term. There are now prestigious double blind landmark studies which clearly show that synthetic supplementation of various nutrients has detrimental effects on health when taken for 18 months. I am talking about vitamin A in this case. And when you find out that many (probably most) synthetic vitamins DO contain either petrochemicals, coal tar or terpentine in the manufacture of those various vitamins, it tells you that this is not a sustainable practice and one must turn to diet to to get their nutrients after serious deficiencies have been corrected by synthetics. The vitamin E and A synthetic anti oxidants are actually causing free redical damage and they don't appear to stop it like commonly believed.
>
> As someone who had serious nutrient deficiencies,
> especially in the later days of my alcoholism, i
> can say for sure that synthetic vitamins and
> minerals do work and are life saving.

Yes! You might only get 50% absorption because of no co-factors, but they are highly important for people who are very deficient in certain things.

Good post powerlifter. Always the voice of reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 02:38AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: December 06, 2013 08:54PM

banana who Wrote:
> CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> -----
> > jtprindl Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Also, why not take an organic whole-foods
> > > multivitamin for extra protection? Why not
> take
> > > astaxanthin?
> >
> >
> > Why take something that does not work and waste
> > money and energy.
>
> LOL!

Doesn't work? I hope that's a joke. Maybe you shouldn't talk about things you know absolutely nothing about.

Date: December 06, 2013 11:09PM

Supplement yourself with Potassium Iodide if a nuclear reactor in your area has exploded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 11:09PM by coconutcream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables