Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Where's the FRESH FRUIT?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: November 21, 2006 05:24AM

I just ate an orange that I picked from a neighbors tree (when nobody was looking), and it tasted so damn good. I'd forgotten what a truly fresh orange tasted like.

It was so tart and citrusy... it was like fireworks dancing on my tongue. Now I cant stand the idea of going back to those stale store-bought oranges.

So I was wondering what tips do you have for obtaining the freshest fruits you can find?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where's the FRESH FRUIT?
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: November 21, 2006 07:41AM

Stealing from neighbours seemed to work for you... hehe, just kidding

Move to Florida?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 21, 2006 12:59PM

Well: I've positioned myself smack dab in the middle of some of the most extensive orange groves in Florida! LOL. I just pick what I need. Other than that....the only TRULY fresh stuff you're ever going to eat...you're going to have to locate local growers....who will sell to you directly. Depending on the area you are in (like me) this CAN be fairly easy. Other places (like very urban locations) you'll have to locate where your larger farmers markets are....and arrange to go there and purchase in bulk.

-Ordering bulk items online becomes too expensive and time-consuming for long-term success (although I had plenty of success ordering fresh nuts...in season....from home-growers on E-bay. Now is a good time to do this. Try ordering fresh black walnuts and giving them a good cracking try! LOL. You'll be in for an interesting taste sensation....earthy and nutty and sweet.)

-David Z. Mason

Date: November 22, 2006 04:25AM

>>Stealing from neighbours seemed to work for you... hehe, just kidding<<

Is it stealing when the oranges would otherwise just fall to the ground and rot? seriously, what are the karmic implications of such an act?

David, it must be pretty sweet living there. You're right, I need to hook up with some local farmers and buy in bulk. May have to hit up the farmers markets and also do some research online. Black walnuts are great, been a while since I had one... they really do have a unique taste.

My dad picked up a big bag of oranges from a street vendor today. He was told they were picked just two days ago. They were cheap and tasted pretty good, not as good as the ones right off the tree though.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: November 22, 2006 07:55AM

Oh, the oranges would have rotted?... Hell, I think you're entitled then!

Date: November 22, 2006 01:44PM

Stealing! Of course! I am the late-night orange ninja! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

Date: November 23, 2006 12:38AM

LOL @ late-night orange ninja smiling smiley I too strike at night, with my getaway 10-speed!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 23, 2006 02:26AM

For me, growing my own can be the only solution. Eating freshly picked does not compare to bought ones. For example, I was amazed how heavenly freshly picked grapes taste. I believe that in the ideal world, the ideal raw food diet would be the freshly-picked raw food diet. So, if you can, grow your own. Also, picking wild fruit is great. Best blueberries, raspberries, wild strawberries, blackberries that I ever had were those that I picked in the forest.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 23, 2006 07:19AM

Summer in Miami you guys would be so jealous, you need to visit and look UP..you'll see avocado trees in people's yards, magos. starfruit, papayas, wild

Date: November 23, 2006 03:02PM

Ha! Yeah...it's pretty awesome!

-David Z. Mason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables