Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Experienced hair loss post juice fast/ feast?
Posted by: Zia ()
Date: December 14, 2013 08:34PM

Hi
Anyone here experienced hair loss post juice fast/ feast?

After a miserable difficult year I decided to take control by improving my health and losing a few pounds.

I did a 30 days green juice experince ending in September. I followed up by eating raw fruit salads nuts and seeds for 10 days.
I exercised daily
I felt amazing.
My concentration, skin & eyesight improved
I returned to a daily yoga & meditation practice
I reduced my cholesterol from 7 to 4.5 in 6 weeks.
I lost 1 1/2 stone
I have continued to juice my breakfast daily and eat fruit or a salad for lunch.

I re introduced cooked in the form of veggie broths to the evening meal after 10 days, that was all fine. I then added some cooked veggies and quinoa. I have remained eating raw for breakfast and lunch plus a few grains and cooked veggies alongside a salad for evening meal.
My intention was to stay in this place for a while then slowly loose the cooked.

4 weeks ago, I noticed that I was shedding hair. My hair loss has been quite dramatic as I had quite thick long hair. It’s disappearing from the crown and sides.
The Dr diagnosed Telogen effluvium, most likely due to the rapid weight loss.

I have eaten a fully raw diet several times in the last 10 years and experienced excellent results. I have done 5 & 7 day juice fasts but never a 30 before. This is why I chose juicing as my healing tool.

Since realising the severity of the problem and in an attempt to stop further hair loss I have panicked and researched till the small hours!
I’ve hit rock bottom on the emotional stakes as I want to continue to eat raw vegan and believe it’s the right path for me.

I have taken a zinc, selenium ,iron, B complex supplement ( I was taking liquid flouradix throughout my fast)

Upon reflection my protein and fat intake has probably been too low .This was not deliberate, I just sort of fell into it by not paying attention and am now paying the ultimate price of discomfort and freaking out!

Well on the bright side I’m trying to remember that everything that I encounter is my path to enlightenment and if anyone else has experienced this please share, as I could do with a little reassurance/ encouragement/ support or a big hug right now
Thanks x

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experienced hair loss post juice fast/ feast?
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 14, 2013 08:41PM

Are you getting enough protein? Edit: Just read that last portion. I think it'd be a good idea to up your intake of protein. Hemp seeds are an excellent source of vegan protein, which would be my #1 recommendation. Sea vegetables, avocados, nut butters, broccoli, kale are good sources too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 08:56PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 14, 2013 10:28PM

Try to emphasize foods rich in biotin (B7 aka H) like:

carrots
nuts (almonds)
berries

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: December 15, 2013 02:22AM

Zia, if you just fast then you should use sprouts like sunflower for fatty acids and maybe throw in some pea sprouts also for more protein. I don't think you were taking these supplements during the fast: zinc, selenium ,iron, B complex? And like powerlifter said these long fasts should only be done if you are sure you are healthy enough and you should probably be advised by somebody that knows what they are doing! Also I just read about hair loss and it can happen from too much IRON! Instead you should be doing a high quality B-12. I can't imagine doing a 30 day fast but I know very successful raw foodists that have done it with the proper juices. It would be nice to do some wheatgrass juice along with that for good measure. You could also use some chlorella for protein and many other nutrients including iron in a more appropriate amount. Here is one of many websites that have articles on hair-loss and iron. [www.belgraviacentre.com] Good luck, hope you get your hair back. Don't feel to bad I am loosing mine also LOL.

Date: December 15, 2013 03:37AM

I meant to say: "If you juice fast" LOL. I am guessing that you were not protein deficient and you were taking too much iron. I am not sure why you would take this iron while on a fast but you should have just taken a sublingual B-12. This is why we need professional guidance while doing such extreme fast's. You can find good advice here for doing fast's in the future from John Rose or me among others.

Date: December 15, 2013 07:56PM

I was also thinking thyroid, but in this situation I think you took too much iron in the form of liquid floradix. Please follow up so we know how you are doing and if you are able to re-gain your hair growth. Don't be embarrassed, it might help someone out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 07:58PM by Superjuice.

Date: December 15, 2013 08:23PM

Hi
Thanks for your posts and support.
I didn’t take the supplements mentioned above during the fast but I did I did drink RDA flouradix.

After the first 3 days, I didn’t feel hungry again until day 28 when I started to crave solid food.
The only fruit that I juiced was whole organic lemon and green apple. The rest was Kale, spinach, cavelo, celery and occasionally carrots. I felt so good that I could not imagine that I was doing any harm.
I still struggle with that concept but if my hair has fallen out then something unusual has happened.

Encouraging research - some say that their hair fell out after switching to a raw diet and was replaced by stronger better hair when it grew back. I will keep my fingers crossed!

It could be worse, I could have lost more or even all of it.(not to say that won’t happen) It’s been a real wake up call.

I’m going to pay more attention. I will continue to juice daily and increase the fat, protein and supplement.

Im also getting a 30 min professional scalp massage twice a week and loosening off my scalp myself in-between sessions as it’s very tight.

I have taken some photos, so if there is any improvement I will post them here.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: December 15, 2013 08:58PM

Hi Zia,

You've probably already read this article, but if not, it might help you understand what's going on...

[www.vegsource.com]
Hair Loss on Vegan Diet?

Telogen effluvium is usually transitory and corrects itself.

[www.vegsource.com]

By the way, were you consuming at least 1200 calories a day while on your Feast?

Peace and Love..........John

Date: December 17, 2013 12:35PM

Hi John

Thanks for the post- I had read it but im pleased that you posted the link as I have read so much on the topic now that im at saturation point and it becomes more difficult to filter the information when its pressing the emotional buttons.

As regards calories- I have been veggie most of my life and vegan on and off for 10 years.I have experimented with long periods of raw during that time too. I did the juice fast in an attempt to kick start raw again.

As I already juiced every morning I just decided to continue that throughout the day. To be fair I didnt consider calories. I kept a diary and since your question about calories have looked through it. I did consume 1200 plus per day apart from day 17 when I had flu like symptoms. I drank mainly water that day and a little juice. I got plenty of rest, no exercise and felt fine the next day.

My hair has started to grow back. Its about 3mm long. My normal hair colour is dark blonde. The new hair growth is thick (like eyebrow hair) and black. Also the hair that hasnt fallen has also changed to this dark colour at the root.

I have done a little research. It appears that this could indicate a copper deficiency as there may be too much zinc present.
Have you heard of this?
Im reluctant to start self medicating as I dont know enogh about this. Im just continuing with the supplements originally posted.
If you have come across this before, I would be grateful for your comments.

Thanks
Zia

Date: December 18, 2013 02:28AM

Good to hear all is well and you are learning about nutrition and your body. Good luck I will be following your thread.

Date: December 18, 2013 08:17PM

Superjuice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was also thinking thyroid, but in this situation
> I think you took too much iron in the form of
> liquid floradix. Please follow up so we know how
> you are doing and if you are able to re-gain your
> hair growth. Don't be embarrassed, it might help
> someone out.

Hi Superjuice
Sorry I missed this post. I was viewing on my small screen phone but used my computer tonight and saw it.

I took less than the RDA but have used flouradix for years on and off. You may well be right. It may have caused the problem. I don’t know! It’s a minefield. I’m not embarrassed though, simply looking for direction and trying to resolve the issue.

I think it’s great to share problems. That’s why I chose this site to ask for help as there appears to be some really knowledgeable people posting here.

I may be a little impulsive as I like to get on with things. I like learning from experience which gets me into trouble sometimes, but I do see things through to fruition. I will keep looking to solve the problem and I’m happy to share my findings and experience as if this has happened to me it will happen to others.

Thanks for your help

Zia

Date: December 18, 2013 09:21PM

Zia Wrote:
> Superjuice Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was also thinking thyroid, but in this
> situation
> > I think you took too much iron in the form of
> > liquid floradix. Please follow up so we know
> how
> > you are doing and if you are able to re-gain
> your
> > hair growth. Don't be embarrassed, it might
> help
> > someone out.
>
> Hi Superjuice
> Sorry I missed this post. I was viewing on my
> small screen phone but used my computer tonight
> and saw it.
>
> I took less than the RDA but have used flouradix
> for years on and off. You may well be right. It
> may have caused the problem. I don’t know!
> It’s a minefield. I’m not embarrassed though,
> simply looking for direction and trying to resolve
> the issue.
>
> I think it’s great to share problems. That’s
> why I chose this site to ask for help as there
> appears to be some really knowledgeable people
> posting here.
>
> I may be a little impulsive as I like to get on
> with things. I like learning from experience which
> gets me into trouble sometimes, but I do see
> things through to fruition. I will keep looking to
> solve the problem and I’m happy to share my
> findings and experience as if this has happened to
> me it will happen to others.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Zia

Cool, I also like to get on with things and yes it can get a person in trouble. As for the hair loss, yeah it was probably a combination of the Floradix and the juice fast. Protein deficiency isn't the MOST likely when you are doing enough juice but more likely that the Floradix was being absorbed more efficiently during this time.

Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: December 18, 2013 11:49PM

This is from a hair care site that explains how crash dieting, eating under 1200 calories, causes hair loss. It also explains how it will grow back.
[www.hairboutique.com]

Date: December 21, 2013 12:28PM

Ifeelgood Wrote:
> This is from a hair care site that explains how
> crash dieting, eating under 1200 calories, causes
> hair loss. It also explains how it will grow
> back.
> [www.hairboutique.com]

Thanks for this link. I got to buy the skinny jeans- (although weightloss was not my focus) Heres hoping I wont need the wig! Ha!
I do wonder how many people have found themselves in a similar position.
As always, I have learnt loads from the experience.

Zia

Date: December 28, 2013 05:15PM

Hi
I have my blood test results- B12 Deficiency. I have also had palpitations for the last 6 days which the Dr says can fit a B12 deficiency profile.
Ive been advised to have injections. Im not keen on this but feel I need to get on top of the deficiency before I start looking at other ways to work with it.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: December 28, 2013 08:00PM

Hope you do ok.

I would get this book:

Vegan for life

and after reading it, get then this one:

Becoming Raw

Good luck!

Posted by: FabulousIgloro ()
Date: December 28, 2013 09:05PM

There is a Tea called Foti Root that is best for Hair Reproduction.
It has sulfur, but it's amazing for your hair.

One side-effect, it will make you sleepy.

Posted by: FabulousIgloro ()
Date: December 28, 2013 09:07PM

You could also make a paste out of Foti Root.

I'm done posting for the day, just thought I would join a forums and start chatting with like-minds.

I love the internet, it's annonymous and you never know if you're talking to Generals, Admirals, or Ambassadors. Or even Angels at Unawares.

-Jonathan Rios

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:16AM

zia

i just looked up one floradix product and it looks like it has natural ingredients however, one thing that i am always on the lookout for is the word
"propietary blend" at the bottom of this ingredient list, it says "propietary blend"

when i see that word, red flags always rise

under that ONE phrase, they can put ANYTHING... and i mean anything...

propietary blend can hide all manners of chemicals, preservatives etc.

hence, it may be a good idea to call the company to see exactly

what is in it

i always have a policy that if i don't know exactly ( to a T) what is in a product, i won't use it

this "propietary blend" thing is purportedly and ostensibly used to
make it appear like the company has some "special secret blend" of

really desirable complex ingredients

that was ingeniously hatched by their genius

and no one can copy them

that may be true

but also, you don't know what's in it

if you call he company and they don't tell you

why do they deserve your business?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables