Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

beginners diet???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2006 03:57PM

Hello! I've started reading about raw food living and I'm pretty interested on channging my lifestyle and healing myself, but I'm kind of lost about a diet on wich I can start, because I'm afraid of making a radical change and going 100% raw all of a sudden, but I'm new at this, so if you have some tips, please let me know...

Love from Costa Rica,

Andrea

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beginners diet???
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 22, 2006 06:46PM

Sapoty Brooks put together a raw core (you might find it on the raw forum at craigslist.org) but it doesn't have the right omega6yawning smileymega3 ratio.

You might try something like this:

one half to a whole head of romaine
1-2 tbsp of ground flax or flax oil.
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
1-2 brazil nuts

(the above will satisfy your EFA needs and go a ways to satisfying your amino needs. It also goes a way towards your mineral and vitamin requirements).

If you are a sweet fruit lover, fill up on sweet fruit, and if you are a fat lover, you can add an avocado. Or include both.

That should be a simple but good place to start.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 22, 2006 10:45PM

Try replacing your current breakfast with fresh fruit as a first step.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: November 23, 2006 06:22PM

I'm new to this diet also (although I have been vegan for sometime now.. the uncooked thing is new to me). If you still eat meat, that should probably be the first thing to go..followed by dairy, etc. Brigette Mars's book Rawsome was really inspirtational to me. She suggests eating soom raw food with every meal then eating raw food for an entire meal (i.e. fruit for breakfast, large salad for lunch, etc.). As you feel better and gain some better raw eating habits, you may be able to make almost all your meals revolve around raw food. To this you may need to purchase some equipment eventually (juicer, food processor, dehydrator) but at the beginning it can be easy to incorportate raw foods without this stuff. Drink a shake of raw fruits or veggies with every meal.. get rid of "processed" juices that have been pasteurized and make your own. Start making almond milk..it is the most delicious think I have ever made! And the almond cheese I make with it is even better. In the mean time as you're making the transition experiment with new recipes! Last year I was eating turkey and stuffing for thanksgiving.. this year I am vegan an eating an almost entirely raw thanksgiving (except for my heavily processed and cooked Tofurkey!)

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: November 23, 2006 06:54PM

Hello there,

Here is a good transition plan.

Give up meat for a couple of weeks
Increase fruits and veggies
Give up dairy for a couple of weeks
Give up all processed foods for a couple of weeks
Give up all grains for a couple of weeks
GO RAW!!!!!

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: November 23, 2006 07:22PM

That's a good one chilove.

Here is another one:

Eat blue
Eat yellow
Eat purple
Eat green
Eat red
Eat orange
WITHOUT CHEMICALS!

=)

Date: November 25, 2006 02:37AM

Hi Everyone..
We too are new to Raw Eating.. We recently gave up Smoking ( 2 1/2 weeks ago) and started drinking wheat grass.. And now are taking between 2 and four wheat grass pills daily and feel much better.. Going to try some green smoothies in the next few days.. We don't want to completly swith and become vegetarians.. But we wanna start eating better..and keep feeling better as the wheat grass is doing for us! We both want too loose some weight and get back in shape.. And suggestions??
Mike & Lorie

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: November 25, 2006 10:46AM

Mike&Lorie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We don't want to completly swith and become vegetarians..

Sorry to have to say this, but I think becomming vegeterian is the most important step. It takes a long time (12-18 hours or something) for our bodies to digest meat (because it wasn't designed for that) which means it can't digest other foods properly if it is trying to digest the meat.

But anyway, a good start is to try and add more fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet. Eat a piece of fruit if you want a snack and have a salad with every meal.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 26, 2006 11:24AM

It's really mean to eat animals when you don't have to, and nobody has to.

It's also very destructive to the environment. Each animal needs to eat something to grow and survive. Usually this means 4-13x as much energy is used to sustain the animal compared to getting the same amount of energy from eating the plant foods that the animal eats directly. All the energy used to grow those plants for animal feed is wasteful, lots of CO2 and other greenhouse gases are generated needlessly not to mention the pollution the animals produce, contaminating the groundwater. Air pollution, soil depletion, groundwater contamination...

There are ethical and moral issues. I'd rather live on planet where there is reverence for life, not only the animals but also the biosphere. Wouldn't you?

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: November 26, 2006 03:09PM

Mike and Lori,

I think you're off to a great start. People don't usually become vegetarian overnight. You can still get a lot of great benefits out of eating healthier. I recommend looking into the meditteranean diet which is comprised of lean meats, nuts, good oils and fruits an vegetables. Be more aware of trying to eat raw as much as possible.. you can make a pasta and throw in some raw veggies, make some smoothies, drink almond milk in place of cow's milk. When you replace your meals with raw foods You will find that you are eating much less. Although your intention may not be to become a vegetarian, vegan or entirely raw... you may be surprised. As you remove certain things from your diet you may start to feel better and the more things you change the healthier you become. You will also learn how to prepare foods that don't require meat or dairy. It is truly mind blowing when you realize all the delicious recipes you can prepare that are vegetarian and or vegan. Vegan cookies, cakes, etc. taste exactly the same trust me! You can see how unncessary these items really are to food preparation. To start out on a healthier path you must remove red meat! There is no healthy diet that includes red meat..ever. You may still eat chicken and fish, but red meat needs to go.

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: November 27, 2006 01:22AM

smiling smileyamen

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: November 27, 2006 04:15PM

Mike and Lori - congrats to you for quitting smoking and for wanting to eat healthier! Going vegetarian is quite an adjustment, but once you do it, you will feel so much better. Just take it slow....just add more fruits and veggies to your diet and you will immediately start to feel better!

Date: November 27, 2006 09:49PM

Just wondering..
Can one bloat from drinking wheat grass..and green smoothies?
Mike & Lorie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables