Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

zinc copper
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:19AM

so i looked up some foods that are high in zinc (spinach is not one of them... i'd have to eat a gazillion pounds of spinach to get the recommended 11 mg)

however, i noted that pumpkin seed and sesame seed was really high

then in noticed that their copper content was even HIGHER

noted that some say that an 8 to 1 ratio ( 8 -zinc) 1- copper is ideal

i'm wondering how any vegans get their zinc when the foods that most present it are competing with copper

this is a conundrum to me

any advice on how to get higher levels of zinc in my diet?

or how to offset the copper? ( is it even possible?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: zinc copper
Date: December 29, 2013 12:30AM

does copper prevent zinc absorption or do higher copper levels in the same food simply pose the dilemma of skewed ratio?

a little confused

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:11AM

[www.iom.edu]

the above shows only 6.8

zinc requirements are not hard science.
some nutrients at a low level give clear deficiency symptoms.
zinc is not one of them.
go by symptoms or tests.
if you try to hit targets you will be directed to second class foods like animal products, nuts, beans.

Posted by: FabulousIgloro ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:33AM

Celery is the #1 form of Zinc
And Avocado is the #1 form of Copper

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:55AM

It looks like hulled sesame seeds have a better zinc copper ratio than whole sesame seeds.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:31PM

You don't get a better expert when it comes to the zinc/copper topic than Dr Wilson.

[drlwilson.com]

Posted by: rab ()
Date: December 29, 2013 07:43PM

[www.unveilingthem.com]

COPPER INFORMATION

Copper Functions as the Primary Antioxidant: Copper maintains mineral balance, thus a balanced pH with normal blood viscosity, by functioning as the primary antioxidant in the body. When the blood is of normal viscosity with optimal blood flow, the blood is able to rid the body of toxic metals -- iron, chemicals, and any overload of other minerals, (and harmful bacteria and viruses), thereby retaining and balancing out the nutrient minerals. It has been documented that a "decrease in antioxidant protection caused by copper deficiency goes beyond a decrease in the activity of copper-dependent enzymes by inducing a wide range of disturbances in the other enzyme systems. (4)" This is because copper provides a balanced neutral pH of 7.00 that is required by these enzyme systems in order to activate and function at normal levels. Enzymes are made up of proteins and if any are missing or malformed due to copper deficiency, they do not activate and function at normal levels. These other enzyme systems are involved in the formation of bone and connective tissue, immune system, cardiovascular and heart, brain, liver, blood vessels, pigmentation, collagen and elastin, blood clotting factors, all the glandular systems, and many others. (4) Thus, it can be stated with certainty that copper is the single most important nutrient in the body. This is why copper is the target for deprivation and depletion.

"The ability of copper to easily accept and donate electrons explains its important role in oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions and the scavenging of free radicals." (copper info site)

Restated, copper deficiency causes a complete breakdown of the blood's ability to eliminate iron from the body. Loosely bound iron breaks off from the blood proteins and accumulates in various locations of the body, which then acidify those locations causing serious life threatening disease states such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, inflammation, immune deficiencies, neurological dysfunction, tissue and organ destruction, and many other diseases and symptoms, and an early death.

Date: December 29, 2013 07:56PM

Yeah copper deficiency is just as bad as copper toxicity. Copper deficiency and bio-unavailibilty can cause many serious issues such as aneurysms and other connective tissue disorders, amongst other health problems.

Which is why i don't recommend taking zinc or any other mineral supplements if you don't know what your doing because they can lower other minerals.

Date: December 29, 2013 08:31PM

powerlifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Which is why i don't recommend taking zinc or any
> other mineral supplements if you don't know what
> your doing because they can lower other minerals.

Yes, this is one of the big problems when taking synthetic supplements regularly, so taking extra zinc in the vegan diet to balance out the copper could prove difficult.

Some of the few raw plant foods with an over-balance of zinc over copper are written below. These foods are really valuable because they are some of the few foods which naturally allows us to re-adjust the copper - zinc ratio.

* lentil sprouts
* chia seed sprouts
* spirulina/chlorella (probably E3 live)
* Dulse/Kelp (probably other sea weeds)

Other plants such as alfalfa sprouts, brocilli sprouts, ryegrass and a few others does not push the balance out, but seeds like sunflower, sesame, fenugreek and many others do.

Fortunately many of the foods l eat are higher in zinc than copper (rare), + l break down anti-nutrients to bring the zinc levels up much higher.

Calcium levels are reported to be low in vegans too. The best three ways to get up near 1000 mg per day is to have sprouted poppy, sprouted sesame, sprouted chia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 08:34PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: December 29, 2013 08:39PM

Definitely sproutarianman and good info, taking extra zinc caused my bones to thin, my legs/arms to go weird co-ordination, it took me far too long to catch on why that was, which was because it was lowering copper further. Even my teeth got thinner, so yeah mineral supplements should only be used scarecly under a professional.

I had both a copper toxicity and copper bio-unavailiblity issue like most pyroluria indivduals do. Which makes taking supplemental minerals a major problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 08:40PM by powerlifter.

Date: January 02, 2014 10:20PM

thank you everyone for the great information

prana

thnx for the info on hulled sesame seeds

fresh: will review the chart thanks

fabulous gloro : thnx for pointing out the celery and avocado

powerlifter, i will read the article more and study it. thank you . yeah, supplements for zinc look pretty risky . right now, i just take b-12 for a supplement.

sproutman : i didn't know about those foods having a better zinc/copper ratio

great info. thanks

sorry i didn't get back sooner. was occupied during the holidays

HAPPY FRESH DELICIOUS SUPER DUPER HEALTHY FIT NEW YEAR!!!!! TO EVERYONEsmiling smiley

Date: January 02, 2014 10:51PM

Here is a study which talks about raw vegans having high copper intakes.

"Based on dietary records, the vegans had significantly higher intakes of a-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, and copper, and a significantly lower intake
of selenium than the omnivorous control subjects

Antioxidant status in long-term adherents to a strict
uncooked vegan diet

Anna-Liisa Rautna, Riitta Torronen et al

[ajcn.nutrition.org]

Date: January 03, 2014 10:38AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a study which talks about raw vegans
> having high copper intakes.
>
> "Based on dietary records, the vegans had
> significantly higher intakes of a-carotene,
> vitamin E, vitamin C, and copper, and a
> significantly lower intake
> of selenium than the omnivorous control subjects.
>
>
> Antioxidant status in long-term adherents to a
> strict
> uncooked vegan diet
>
> Anna-Liisa Rautna, Riitta Torronen et al
> [ajcn.nutrition.org]
> df+html

That was a good find sproutarianman, its not often you find studies on a raw diet let alone detailing the high copper issue.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:28PM

I am not following you. are you saying that this is a problem? 120% copper measurement? talk about grasping at straws.

Date: January 03, 2014 06:50PM

fresh says:

<<I am not following you. are you saying that this is a problem? 120% copper measurement? talk about grasping at straws.>>

[www.drlwilson.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables