Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

coconut oil is no good in the diet
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:14PM

I used to take a tablespoon once or twice a week. a while back I noticed it boosts my hormones a lill before working out (2 hours before). But now I am in such a great shape that it doesn't do anything for me. But I do used it on my skin (winter) everyday

5 min video

[nutritionfacts.org]

Sources Cited

L. E. Conlon, R. D. King, N. E. Moran, J. W. Erdman Jr. Coconut Oil Enhances Tomato Carotenoid Tissue Accumulation Compared to Safflower Oil in the Mongolian Gerbil ( Meriones unguiculatus ). J. Agric. Food. Chem. 2012 NA(NA):NA

S. T. Henderson, J. L. Vogel, L. J. Barr, F. Garvin, J. J. Jones, L. C. Costantini. Study of the ketogenic agent AC-1202 in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2009 6(NA):31

M. C. W. Myhrstad, I. Narverud, V. H. Telle-Hansen, T. Karhu, D. B. Lund, K.-H. Herzig, M. Makinen, B. Halvorsen, K. Retterstol, B. Kirkhus, L. Granlund, K. B. Holven, S. M. Ulven. Effect of the fat composition of a single high-fat meal on inflammatory markers in healthy young women. Br. J. Nutr. 2011 106(12):1826 - 1835

K. M. Liau, Y. Y. Lee, C. K. Chen, A. H. G. Rasool. An open-label pilot study to assess the efficacy and safety of virgin coconut oil in reducing visceral adiposity. ISRN Pharmacol 2011 2011(NA):949686

M. L. Assuncc~ao, H. S. Ferreira, A. F. dos Santos, C. R. Cabral Jr, T. M. M. T. Flor^encio. Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity. Lipids 2009 44(7):593 - 601

P. T. Voon, T. K. W. Ng, V. K. M. Lee, K. Nesaretnam. Diets high in palmitic acid (16:0), Lauric and myristic acids (12:0 + 14:0), Or oleic acid (18:1) Do not alter postprandial or fasting plasma homocysteine and inflammatory markers in healthy Malaysian adults. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2011 94(6):1451 - 1457

NA. Stearic Acid: A Unique Saturated Fat. National Cattlemen's Beef Association NA NA(NA):1 - 6

C. Cox, W. Sutherland, J. Mann, S. de Jong, A. Chisholm, M. Skeaff. Effects of dietary coconut oil, butter and safflower oil on plasma lipids, lipoproteins and lathosterol levels. Eur J Clin Nutr 1998 52(9):650 - 654

A. B. Feranil, P. L. Duazo, C. W. Kuzawa, L. S. Adair. Coconut oil is associated with a beneficial lipid profile in pre-menopausal women in the Philippines. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2011 20(2):190 - 195

W.C. Willett, Ask the doctor. I have started noticing more coconut oil at the grocery store and have heard it is better for you that a lot of other oils. Is that true? Harv Health Lett. 2011 May;36(7):7.

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2011. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 24. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 08:23PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil is no good in the diet
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:23PM

I have also noticed a tendency in vegans for low cholesterol, which is below 140 (an unhealthy range). I typically address this by having clients add therapeutic doses of coconut oil to their diets, which raises cholesterol to healthy levels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.gabrielcousens.com]
GABRIEL'S OPEN LETTER TO DR. MERCOLA

Dear Dr. Mercola,

Thank you for your excellent, thoughtful, and sensitive discussion on vegetarianism and the China study. I have been researching and exploring the benefits of a plant-source-only diet for over 38 years (since 1973). Given the length of my practice and the scope of my experience, I have come to some working conclusions on the interrelated topics of diet, health, and longevity. I am writing this for the people who have become confused by your subtle, but clear avocation for a meat-centered diet over a plant-source-only diet, as they are tentatively inspired to shift from one paradigm of health and consciousness to a new level. Although I appreciate most of your points, my main objection is that your implication that people with higher metabolic protein requirements need to eat meat. Based on my extensive, successful, clinical experience over the course of 38 years of helping people do exactly that, with a 99.99% success rate, your position is misleading and untrue.

…

I have also noticed a tendency in vegans for low cholesterol, which is below 140 (an unhealthy range). I typically address this by having clients add therapeutic doses of coconut oil to their diets, which raises cholesterol to healthy levels.
…

Blessings to your health and spirit,

Gabriel Cousens, M.D. M.D.(H), Diplomat Ayurveda , Diplomat Board of American Holistic Health 5602 words
[www.gabrielcousens.com]

Date: January 04, 2014 08:29PM

every cell manufactures cholesterol (and liver cells more) for the membrane. I guess it is one of those self made nutrients that can be low in some people (like taurine), so taking it in moderation may help some people.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:34PM

Ohh no the dreaded saturated fats.

You wouldn't want any of those unless you wanted healthy cell membrane function, hormone, neurotransmitter synthesis or any other bodily function reliant on these fatty acids.

It is very difficult to get a mean conclusion when he is presenting about 6-7 different studies at once, all of which are generally having opposing conclusions. In some of the studes coconut oil is minorly raisng cholesterol, but in the majority they are decreasing BMI and abdominal fat or having no disernible effect on cholesterol etc.

High intake of saturated fat sources will generally not have a beneficial result on cholesterol profiles, but what is Dr Greger trying to say here, that saturated fats are bad to consume in any quantity or that high coconut oil/saturated fat can have a possibly negative effect in regards to minorly raising cholesterol levels ?

Conclusion seems to be like everything else, coconut and coconut fats are perfectly healthy in moderation and within the confines of a balanced diet for the majority of individuals.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 08:42PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:42PM

I used to use coconut oil on lightly steamed broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus when I was about 90-95% raw, but have had no use it (diet wise) in ever since switching to 100% raw. I do use it on my skin though.

Date: January 04, 2014 08:50PM

this is a good pic of the effects long term. If you are man and have erectile dysfunction, then you are clogged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 08:54PM by Panchito.

Date: January 04, 2014 08:54PM

Lol yeah because a clogged sewer is equatable to having clogged arteries of course.

You do realize there are many causes of erectile dysfunction other than clogged arteries(Atherosclerosis) ?. There is the complications from diabetes being one of the most common causes of erectile dysfunction and neuropathy, mental/psychological causes are also common, hormonal/endocrine issues such as low cortisol, testosterone, dhea etc cause erectile issues, severe zinc deficiency, lack of nitric oxide production etc. There are often multiple causes of erectile dysfunction.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 09:00PM by powerlifter.

Date: January 04, 2014 09:00PM

real life section of a clogged artery (with the gunk half way out)

Date: January 04, 2014 09:03PM

powerlifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lol yeah because a clogged sewer is equatable to
> having clogged arteries of course.
>
> You do realize there are many causes of erectile
> dysfunction other than clogged
> arteries(Atherosclerosis) ?. There is the
> complications from diabetes being one of the most
> common causes of erectile dysfunction and
> neuropathy, mental/psychological causes are also
> common, hormonal/endocrine issues such as low
> cortisol, testosterone, dhea etc cause erectile
> issues, severe zinc deficiency, lack of nitric
> oxide production etc. There are often multiple
> causes of erectile dysfunction.

And animal protein smiling smiley (for atherosclerosis)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 09:03PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 04, 2014 09:03PM

You have bought into the saturated fat and cholesterol myth of heart disease

The theory was largely started by the pharmaceutical industry in order to prescribe more drugs such as statins to lower the dreaded cholesterol. Statins which have been proven to cause heart failure might i add.

Cholesterol like a number of reliable studies have shown, over 50% of those who have heart attacks do within the normal or low cholesterol range. Inflammation is a much bigger factor in the cause of cardiovascular disease.

Date: January 04, 2014 09:06PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> And animal protein smiling smiley (for atherosclerosis)

Not even animal protein is bad in my opinion, there is plenty of reliable science to suggest diets containing moderate amounts of oily fish and other animal foods are healthy such as with the mediterranean diet.

Animal foods only tend to be problematic in excess in regards to heart disease, several reliable studies show high intake of red meat to be a possible factor in the development of many cancers for example. Context though as always, which shows that these foods are perfectly fine within moderation.

All diets should be majority plant food based if they are to be healthy, if you follow the 70% plant food rule then its unlikely that your diet will be unhealthy in my opinion.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 09:09PM by powerlifter.

Date: January 04, 2014 10:24PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> Inflammation is a much bigger factor in the cause
> of cardiovascular disease.

inflamation is also much higher on meat eaters

[nutritionfacts.org]

Date: January 04, 2014 10:40PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And animal protein smiling smiley (for atherosclerosis)
>
> Not even animal protein is bad in my opinion,
> there is plenty of reliable science to suggest
> diets containing moderate amounts of oily fish and
> other animal foods are healthy such as with the
> mediterranean diet.
>
> Animal foods only tend to be problematic in excess
> in regards to heart disease, several reliable
> studies show high intake of red meat to be a
> possible factor in the development of many cancers
> for example. Context though as always, which shows
> that these foods are perfectly fine within
> moderation.
>
> All diets should be majority plant food based if
> they are to be healthy, if you follow the 70%
> plant food rule then its unlikely that your diet
> will be unhealthy in my opinion.

Well, using that logic, why wouldn't you just make it 100% plant-based for OPTIMAL health? You're right, one can survive off moderate amounts of meat without disease (although it depends on the individual), but when we're talking about optimal health and longevity, as well as spiritual reasons, animal products should be avoided. I'd rather use a quality soil-based B12 supplement than resort to eating animal products. I'd rather consume AFA, chlorella, sprouts, sea vegetables, and various fruits/veggies for omega-3's than fish that are heavily contaminated. Nature's got an answer for all our needs, we don't need to exploit other creatures to thrive.

Date: January 05, 2014 12:01AM

Dr Brian Clement reports that having a tablespoon of coconut oil 5 times a week is usually o.k for people, but when they exceed this amount it often results in high cholesterol.

Sure vegans will have low cholesterol, but if they can produce it themselves is it such a big problem?

Date: January 05, 2014 12:18AM

powerlifter Wrote:
> You have bought into the saturated fat and
> cholesterol myth of heart disease
>
> The theory was largely started by the
> pharmaceutical industry in order to prescribe more
> drugs such as statins to lower the dreaded
> cholesterol. Statins which have been proven to
> cause heart failure might i add.
>
> Cholesterol like a number of reliable studies have
> shown, over 50% of those who have heart attacks do
> within the normal or low cholesterol range.
> Inflammation is a much bigger factor in the cause
> of cardiovascular disease.

Yes, there appears confusion about cholesterol and it's negative effects on the body. And now l hear that extremely high cholesterol levels are not so dangerous as once thought, and there appears to be much contradiction on conclusions.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 05, 2014 12:27AM

When I first went raw over 12 years ago, I bought a quart of coconut oil from Nature's First Law after hearing David Wolfe espouse the benefits of coconut oil. I didn't take to it, it felt so oily to me. I still have that same bottle, 12 years later, and I use it for lubricating my champion juicer, and as a oil for an occasional massage. This jar is probably going to last me another 12 years.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 05, 2014 03:07AM

Prana Wrote:
> When I first went raw over 12 years ago, I bought
> a quart of coconut oil from Nature's First Law
> after hearing David Wolfe espouse the benefits of
> coconut oil. I didn't take to it, it felt so oily
> to me. I still have that same bottle, 12 years
> later, and I use it for lubricating my champion
> juicer, and as a oil for an occasional massage.
> This jar is probably going to last me another 12
> years.

I have many jars of coconut oil around that I tried but can't stand. Nutivia, Garden of Life, Artisana, etc., all gag me and/or gave me stomach aches. I've found that with oils it's extremely important to invest in the best. The coconut oil I use now is top notch centrifuged from organic coconuts that are actually picked ripe and I look forward to having it daily. You might want to give coconut oil a second chance...

[earthshiftproducts.com] PRODUCTS

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 17, 2014 11:04AM

I use it on my face. It cured two babies I know from cradle cap. Its weird. Thats like a fungus that grows on alot of babies heads. U rub it on, and the fungus is gone the next day. I did this twice.

They sell it here with marijuana in it. The coconut oil is bright green. I seen in shops. I dont know if its raw. But it makes a great lotion.

And other things. If you people still have sex. Its good for that. Keep under the mattress. Yeah!! Just the smell of coconut oil reminds me of the best sex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 11:05AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 17, 2014 11:07AM

Panchito THAT IS NASTAY PHOTO U posted of the clogged artery. WOW>

Here is that cradle cap I was talking about. Rubbed coconut oil on two babies heads, and the next day the fungus just fell off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 11:08AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 17, 2014 11:30AM

question

ok please dont read into this, its a question.

Lets say , IF you were with a guy and he cant get it up, you have to get it up for him...

if I say to him, you must have a clogged artery...how do I know for sure thats it. How do you test this. What if he is lean and strong and is not fat in any way.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:09PM

suez

<<I have many jars of coconut oil around that I tried but can't stand. Nutivia, Garden of Life, Artisana, etc., all gag me and/or gave me stomach aches. I've found that with oils it's extremely important to invest in the best. The coconut oil I use now is top notch centrifuged from organic coconuts that are actually picked ripe and I look forward to having it daily. You might want to give coconut oil a second chance...

[earthshiftproducts.com] PRODUCT>>

i tried to click on that link
but it did not go there
is the company out of business?

how is it that their coconut oil does not give you a stomach ache?
what do they do... store it for shorter periods and throw it away if it doesn't sell right away?
i find most coconut oils are totally rancid ( my body is a pretty good calibrator of what is and what isn't fresh)

i think just eating or blending the coconut with he water is a lot better

less likely to be rancid

my understanding is that LDL and HDL are always working in concert

its confusing when they are polarized e.g. "bad" ( LDL) and "good" ( HDL)
when they work together

what is the lowdown on cholestrol ranges

and how to get it at a good range for people solely on plant based diet

without using concentrated oils

what about avocadoes or nuts

Date: January 17, 2014 02:53PM

coconutcream Wrote:
> question
>
> ok please dont read into this, its a question.
>
> Lets say , IF you were with a guy and he cant get
> it up, you have to get it up for him...
>
> if I say to him, you must have a clogged
> artery...how do I know for sure thats it. How do
> you test this. What if he is lean and strong and
> is not fat in any way.

Erectile dysfunction has many different causes, if it is a regular occurance for this guy then he would be best seeing a doctor.

If he has diabetes then erectile dysfunction is a common secondary health issue in diabetics.

Anxiety, autonomic nervous system dysfunction and depression are other common causes of erectile problems. As is heart disease and atherosclerosis i.e hardening of the arteries leading to poorer blood flow especially down there.

Hormonal/Endocrine disorders can also cause erectile problems, especially in an aging male such as over 40, when levels of hormones such as DHEA and Testosterone begin to decline, so its really best to see a qualified physician.

Superfoods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 02:54PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:15PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> suez
>
>
> <>
>
> i tried to click on that link
> but it did not go there
> is the company out of business?
>
> how is it that their coconut oil does not give
> you a stomach ache?
> what do they do... store it for shorter periods
> and throw it away if it doesn't sell right away?
> i find most coconut oils are totally rancid ( my
> body is a pretty good calibrator of what is and
> what isn't fresh)

I don't know why the link doesn't work now but here is the same centrifuged high quality coconut oil brand in a smaller size.(I just googled it so I don't know the turnover rate of that particular company selling it.)

[ultimatesuperfoods.com]

You can still click "home" in the now broken link and find the Ojio oil I buy at that store if you want to.

I don't know exactly why the higher,less processed, centrifuged, picked ripe and processed in the plantation coconut oil doesn't give me stomachaches and doesn't nauseate me like all the other brands do. Maybe it isn't just about quality. It also melts at a lower temperature and is totally clear when it's melted.

According to Dr. Gabriel Cousens it helps to take coconut oil to boost short chain lipid chain conversion in flax seed, as I recall. I started useing it, for that reason, on my raw flaxseed gruel. I consume a lot of fat and am a stickler on keeping my omega 6:3 ratios at optimal levels with flaxseed. Flaxseed needs help to be of the best benefit.

I also take one or two more T of the good coconut oil everyday and use it on my skin.

I also give it to the poor baby dog I am taking care of who is dying from breast cancer and has refused all other food for the last five days. It seems to calm her down enough so that she can get back to sleep when she wakes up in the middle of the night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 03:19PM by SueZ.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: January 17, 2014 07:24PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> powerlifter Wrote:
> -----
> > jtprindl Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > And animal protein smiling smiley (for atherosclerosis)
> >
> > Not even animal protein is bad in my opinion,
> > there is plenty of reliable science to suggest
> > diets containing moderate amounts of oily fish
> and
> > other animal foods are healthy such as with the
> > mediterranean diet.
> >
> > Animal foods only tend to be problematic in
> excess
> > in regards to heart disease, several reliable
> > studies show high intake of red meat to be a
> > possible factor in the development of many
> cancers
> > for example. Context though as always, which
> shows
> > that these foods are perfectly fine within
> > moderation.
> >
> > All diets should be majority plant food based
> if
> > they are to be healthy, if you follow the 70%
> > plant food rule then its unlikely that your
> diet
> > will be unhealthy in my opinion.
>
>
> Well, using that logic, why wouldn't you just make
> it 100% plant-based for OPTIMAL health? You're
> right, one can survive off moderate amounts of
> meat without disease (although it depends on the
> individual), but when we're talking about optimal
> health and longevity, as well as spiritual
> reasons, animal products should be avoided. I'd
> rather use a quality soil-based B12 supplement
> than resort to eating animal products. I'd rather
> consume AFA, chlorella, sprouts, sea vegetables,
> and various fruits/veggies for omega-3's than fish
> that are heavily contaminated. Nature's got an
> answer for all our needs, we don't need to exploit
> other creatures to thrive.

That's right! yeah

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables