Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruitarian questions
Posted by: IceKitten ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:36AM

Hi!

I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian (I'm 18 years old in 2 months) but I'm not happy with it. I love animals so much and I don't want to eat them or their milk, eggs, honey etc. I wanted to be a vegan but I just can't stand vegetables and I can't eat beans because they taste horrible. I love fruit though. And I love nuts and seeds too. Some years ago, I found the word "fruitarian" on Wikipedia. I thought: "Living only on fruit - doesn't seem healthy". But today, I've read much more about it, and I'm "obsessed" with the thought of becoming one. I would love to be a fruitarian. I believe we are built to eat fruit and that a fruitarian diet is healthy.

I'm going fruitarian in a week, and I'm wondering how to do it smoothly. And I have some questions:

1. Does everyone who goes fruitarian feel bad the first period of time? Just so that I'm prepared. For how long?
2. Is there anything about my teeth that I should be aware of? Some people say: "You will lose all your teeth!" but many fruitarians say that you won't.
3. How much should a fruitarian exercise? I enjoy walking, biking, running and dancing Zumba.
4. Is variety very important, or how many different kinds of fruits should I eat a day? I love all kinds of fruits.
5. How much does a fruit meal consist of?

Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 11:37AM by IceKitten.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruitarian questions
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2014 01:32PM

IceKitten, I think anyone embarking on the fruitarian journey can benefit from watching this video. I wish I had seen it before I went fruitarian. It has a lot of common sense wisdom in it that is hard to find elsewhere.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 13, 2014 02:59PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IceKitten, I think anyone embarking on the
> fruitarian journey can benefit from watching this
> video. I wish I had seen it before I went
> fruitarian. It has a lot of common sense wisdom in
> it that is hard to find elsewhere.
>
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =c4-overview&list=UUCKfylLg8OBMoOLE72R4YDg

Thanks, Freelea!

Date: January 13, 2014 03:09PM

banana who Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > IceKitten, I think anyone embarking on the
> > fruitarian journey can benefit from watching
> this
> > video. I wish I had seen it before I went
> > fruitarian. It has a lot of common sense wisdom
> in
> > it that is hard to find elsewhere.
> >
> >
> >
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> > =c4-overview&list=UUCKfylLg8OBMoOLE72R4YDg
>
>
> Thanks, Freelea!

Lol. Your tinfoil Nancy Drew compass is astoundingly out of calibration but you're welcome.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 13, 2014 06:23PM

IceKitten Wrote:

> 1. Does everyone who goes fruitarian feel bad the
> first period of time? Just so that I'm prepared.
> For how long?

probably. hard to say. not very long at your age.

> 2. Is there anything about my teeth that I should
> be aware of? Some people say: "You will lose all
> your teeth!" but many fruitarians say that you
> won't.

if you brush right after eating you will wear away the enamel - better to rinse and then allow the saliva to counteract the food, then brush gently later.

> 3. How much should a fruitarian exercise? I enjoy
> walking, biking, running and dancing Zumba.

as much as you feel like.

> 4. Is variety very important, or how many
> different kinds of fruits should I eat a day? I
> love all kinds of fruits.

whatever you want to do. too much mixing of fruits is more difficult on digestion, and too little variety is higher risk due to nutrients.

> 5. How much does a fruit meal consist of?
>

base it on hunger.

fruitarian is defined in different ways.
I don't recommend solely fruit - add in greens - many are tasty - not broccoli/cauliflower necessarily but sprouts and/or lettuces based on your desire and taste .

get enough sun and take b12 if necessary.
www.b12.com

Date: January 13, 2014 06:33PM

Thank you so much for all your replies! smiling smiley

Date: January 13, 2014 06:38PM

SueZ Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> -----
> > SueZ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > IceKitten, I think anyone embarking on the
> > > fruitarian journey can benefit from watching
> > this
> > > video. I wish I had seen it before I went
> > > fruitarian. It has a lot of common sense
> wisdom
> > in
> > > it that is hard to find elsewhere.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> >
> > > =c4-overview&list=UUCKfylLg8OBMoOLE72R4YDg
> >
> >
> > Thanks, Freelea!
>
> Lol. Your tinfoil Nancy Drew compass is
> astoundingly out of calibration but you're
> welcome.

TINFOIL! Ah....So I AM speaking to a Merck rep! Howdy!

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:04PM

Hey IceKitten,

That's great advice from fresh, but beware of the who goes by SueZ as she seems to be a TROLL!!!

<<<TINFOIL! Ah....So I AM speaking to a Merck rep! Howdy!>>>

Hey BW,

It sure is easy to spot these trolls when you know what to look for...

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Peace and Love..........John

Date: January 13, 2014 07:14PM

I understand, SueZ that you found the video good, but I'm just not seeing it. I bailed out pretty quickly though. It was the "if you're eating 10-15 pieces of fruit a day, that's not good" "although maybe some people can do it."

first of all, that's denying reality, and leaves us with the "everyone is different " allegation.
Secondly, to say "pieces of fruit" is just nonsensical.
Grapes? pears? loquat? dates? failure to be specific. unless she clarified later on.

Maybe she means high calorie bananas, but say that then, not "pieces of fruit"

Date: January 13, 2014 07:45PM

But is it important to eat a certain amount of calories each day or should you just stop when you're not hungry anymore? smiling smiley

Posted by: janetc ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:48PM

IceKitten: If you have a good blender, you can blend spinach with some fruit for a fruit smoothie. I do this and I cannot taste the spinach.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:57PM

IceKitten Wrote:
> But is it important to eat a certain amount of
> calories each day or should you just stop when
> you're not hungry anymore? smiling smiley

Systematic undereating is beneficial for longevity and overall health. Meaning not consuming a lot of calories but making sure the calories you do consume are nutrient rich and meet all of your nutritional needs. Eating a raw food diet in and of itself is a good way to do this, but there are a lot of raw foodists who are convinced you NEED 2,000 - 3,000 calories per day for energy, which is simply not true. Typically people who eat that many calories on a raw food diet just eat tons of bananas or dates, both absolutely loaded with sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:58PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:14PM

fresh Wrote:
> I understand, SueZ that you found the video good,
> but I'm just not seeing it. I bailed out pretty
> quickly though. It was the "if you're eating
> 10-15 pieces of fruit a day, that's not good"
> "although maybe some people can do it."
>
> first of all, that's denying reality, and leaves
> us with the "everyone is different " allegation.
> Secondly, to say "pieces of fruit" is just
> nonsensical.
> Grapes? pears? loquat? dates? failure to be
> specific. unless she clarified later on.
>
> Maybe she means high calorie bananas, but say that
> then, not "pieces of fruit"
Fresh, she did clarify latter in the video

Fresh, she did get more specific and clarify later in the video. She is not anti fruit at all. Her advise is sound and you are judging too quickly without enough information, IMO. Maybe if you have the time you could watch the rest of. You might be surprised. It's only 8 minutes long after all.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:38PM

IceKitten Wrote:
> But is it important to eat a certain amount of
> calories each day or should you just stop when
> you're not hungry anymore? smiling smiley

hunger serves a valuable purpose and should not be overridden.
hunger is highly distorted when eating cooked food.
with that said, during transition one can often seem hungry all the time due to the change in fuel and cleansing but if you eat a good raw diet
you will eventually find true hunger and free yourself from addiction and
overeating and yet eat freely. thirst is often misinterpreted as hunger also.
imo.

Date: January 13, 2014 08:42PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> IceKitten Wrote:
> -----
> > But is it important to eat a certain amount of
> > calories each day or should you just stop when
> > you're not hungry anymore? smiling smiley
>
>
> Systematic undereating is beneficial for longevity
> and overall health. Meaning not consuming a lot of
> calories but making sure the calories you do
> consume are nutrient rich and meet all of your
> nutritional needs. Eating a raw food diet in and
> of itself is a good way to do this, but there are
> a lot of raw foodists who are convinced you NEED
> 2,000 - 3,000 calories per day for energy, which
> is simply not true. Typically people who eat that
> many calories on a raw food diet just eat tons of
> bananas or dates, both absolutely loaded with
> sugar.

I agree with everything in this post.

Many fruitarian meals have as much sugar in them as labs use in glucose tolerance tests which is pretty outrageous and stressful to the body to ingest several times a day.

Also, for the record, I am no longer a fruitarian but am still 100% raw and have been for several years so I'm more trolled than a troll by certain unbalanced people here.

Another thing, and I can say this from personal experience, unless you live in the tropics, grow your own foods, or eat very high glycemic fruits like bananas and dates this is an extremely expensive diet. Things like organic berries cost almost double of what chemical laden ones cost for instance. I don't eat GMO or non organic foods so my groceries
always cost me almost a thousand dollars a month - just for me. This is ok if you have the money but I bet for most people it is a challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 08:48PM by SueZ.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 13, 2014 09:12PM

The fact that organic food is extremely expensive is a sign of how lost we are as a society and how messed up things are. There is nothing special about organic food, it's simply REAL food. We have to pay a premium price if we want real food that doesn't contain pesticides/chemicals (poison). On top of that most of it isn't fresh as it had been picked (UNRIPE) weeks ago and traveled hundreds of miles to get to the store.

I could get a pint (16 oz) of LOCAL, organic raspberries for $4.99 during the summer. Now? It's $5.99 for 6 oz of some garbage organic Driscoll raspberries that were grown in California (I live in WI). Less fresh, less quantity, less taste, way more money. Haven't bothered buying them in a while now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 09:13PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 13, 2014 09:51PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> The fact that organic food is extremely expensive
> is a sign of how lost we are as a society and how
> messed up things are. There is nothing special
> about organic food, it's simply REAL food. We have
> to pay a premium price if we want real food that
> doesn't contain pesticides/chemicals (poison). On
> top of that most of it isn't fresh as it had been
> picked (UNRIPE) weeks ago and traveled hundreds of
> miles to get to the store.
>
> I could get a pint (16 oz) of LOCAL, organic
> raspberries for $4.99 during the summer. Now? It's
> $5.99 for 6 oz of some garbage organic Driscoll
> raspberries that were grown in California (I live
> in WI). Less fresh, less quantity, less taste, way
> more money. Haven't bothered buying them in a
> while now.

I have almost a 1/4 of an acre of the organic yard in raspberries so I don't have to buy those. If you have some land in a place where raspberries will grow they are very easy to start. Just plant a twig from another bush into good soil and that's pretty much it. The berries can be dehydrated for storage as can their leaves. If you don't have land plant around abandoned woodlands and other places where they won't be mowed down.

These days I go out of my way not to buy fruit from the west coast but people are catching on and the suppliers are getting crafty. A few years ago almost every fruit from the US had the state it was from on the label. Not anymore.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 14, 2014 10:30AM

I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone here eats only fruit (at least not consistently). If I'm wrong, please correct.

People often use the term "fruitarian" to describe a diet that includes mostly fruit, but also other foods as well. There really are not many consistent fruit-only fruitarians (possibly there aren't any unless we have complete faith in unproven isolated claims), although many have attempted it.

For a little while though, there can be obvious perceived benefits to eating only fruit. A person may look better/feel better/have better energy. Unfortunately, the usual outcome is: unremitting cravings for other foods. This often persists regardless of how much fruit is eaten, until something else is consumed (hopefully something healthy). If this happens to anyone out there, you may consider yourself weak or emotionally challenged, but you may be more accurate if you consider yourself normal, with a fortunate healthy appetite.

I know more than a little about this, being a long-time fruit-lover/-grower and raw food vegan myself, and having lived on a tropical island destination for aspiring fruitarians since 1984.

Basically, my primary concern for anyone attempting a fruit-only diet is the potential for unnecessary self-blame if (or when) the diet is not sustained. A diet that is nutritious and that also can be sustained consistently is crucial for optimal physical and emotional health, IMO.

Possibly, people who don't care for veggies might change their tastes after a while of eating only fruit (or only fruit and nuts/seeds), and I think that might be a good thing.

Whatever the case, best wishes to everyone who attempts whatever diet experiment you desire to pursue. Just be kind to yourself, whatever the outcome.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 14, 2014 06:15PM

Hi SueZ and welcome.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: January 14, 2014 08:06PM

Suncloud, that was a great post you wrote, and a very true one.

I had times when I thought I could eat only fruits (and I mean only sweet fruits), but after a few days I started craving non-sweet fruits and veggies and greens (like cauliflower and cabbage and lettuce and dill) and when I was looking at tomatoes I immediately craved them.

So yes, IMO I believe an only sweet fruit diet is not sustainable in the long run, as the craving for sweet fruits is naturally followed by a craving for non-sweet fruits and veggies and greens. And then the craving for sweet fruits appears again, it's like a continuous natural cycle.

As much as I absolutely love sweet fruits, I discovered that, at least in my case, I also must eat the other stuff, it wasn't like I forced myself to eat non-sweet fruits and veggies and greens, but it was my body telling me to do so for my own good.

I must admit that avocados/nuts/seeds do not tempt me at all nor I feel the need to eat them, but maybe in the future I might eat little walnuts just occassionally (they are my fav and the only overt fat I like/eat).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Date: January 14, 2014 08:09PM

suncloud Wrote:
> Hi SueZ and welcome.

Thank you, Suncloud. Pleased to meet you. You are a breath of fresh air!

Date: January 14, 2014 09:57PM

SueZ Wrote:
> suncloud Wrote:
> -----
> > Hi SueZ and welcome.
>
> Thank you, Suncloud. Pleased to meet you. You
> are a breath of fresh air!

Have another hit...of fresh air, SueZ!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 15, 2014 11:58PM

Hello to all fruitarians and wanna be's like me.

Fruitarianism is an idea, the garden of eden, bodies like angels. It is truly heaven on earth. But its so hard. Thats what makes it gold at the end of the rainbow. The eye in the sky is the only one who sees what you truly eat. Its energy, love, sex, healing, all the good stuff. Its an idea. letting hair go

You imagine women pregnant on the beach getting sun eating fruits, being naked, letting eyebrows grow out..

Date: January 15, 2014 11:59PM

2. Is there anything about my teeth that I should be aware of? Some people say: "You will lose all your teeth!" but many fruitarians say that you won't.

I did it for three years without a break. I am still trying to get back there. My back up plan, raw vegan food.

I think all people who have ever visited a dentist, will have teeth issues. They destroyed my teeth, Those bastards!!!

3. How much should a fruitarian exercise? I enjoy walking, biking, running and dancing Zumba.

I love Zumba!! do a zumba video and put it on youtube. I want to see fruitarian zumba. Cinco Letras song please.

4. Is variety very important, or how many different kinds of fruits should I eat a day? I love all kinds of fruits.
5. How much does a fruit meal consist of?

SAMPLE DAY
12pm a smoothie with 2 bananas and a large starfruit

4pm avocado with spoon, haas

430pm a smoothie with a banana, peeled orange and a mango

5:15 pm Haas avocado with spoon

745 pm a smoothie with banana, peeled orange, avocado, and passion fruit scooped out

9:00pm juice of half a watermelon, some muscadine grape
2 pm smoothie with 1 Mango cut up , two cheeks first and then cubed, turned inside out and cut and then whats left diced and ice/water

4pm a large half Papaya , cut in half, deseeded and scooped out with a lime, cut in half and juiced with lemon press into it and water /ice

5pm orange juice from Jamba juice

9:00 pm an Orange and some Concord Grapes

11:00 pm Juice of a small seedless watermelon ( blended in vitamix)

2:30 am Haas avocado

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 12:07AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables