Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting Backlash--cravings
Posted by: LeilaX ()
Date: January 15, 2014 05:44AM

Hi guys,
I'm happily raw at this point but did a green juice fast on Sunday. On monday I had cravings for things that normally make me ill just to think about, like chicken ( and I have been happily vegan for over 7 years). I am used to juice fasts with calories but the true fast threw me off. I was thinking of fasting on green juices (no carrots, no fruit) every Sunday but if it's going to bring back cooked food cravings then I'm not so sure.

Any advice?
Leila

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting Backlash--cravings
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 15, 2014 06:55AM

organize your day
your evenings
create a schedule
where you don't have a lot of time
to ponder your cravings
believe it or not you can get a LOT done
during your green juice fast
cuz everything is far more accelerated, clear etc
take advantage of this time

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 15, 2014 06:01PM

Hi Leila,

I’m not sure what you mean by saying, “I am used to juice fasts with calories but the true fast threw me off.” Are you calling a Green Juice Fast a True Fast meaning that you are NOT getting any calories? If so, that’s not true, however, whether you are doing a Juice Fast with Carrots and Fruit and therefore, consuming more Calories or a Green Juice Fast without Carrots and Fruit and therefore, consuming less Calories for the same volume of Juices, you still have to consume enough Calories to avoid Gluconeogenesis and either way you are still going to have Cravings for Foods that you’ve eaten long ago as they exit your body. Remember, cravings only last for 10 to 15 minutes, so be strong and try to distract yourself when this happens, like jump in the shower when it happens if you are at home or if it happens at the same time of day, make sure you are in the middle of nowhere if possible so the only thing available might be some flowers or weeds.

I’ve coached lots of people who have been Vegan for decades and are quit put off by these Cravings so I understand where you are coming from. In fact, when I went the distance back in 1994 for 90 Days, I relived everything I had eaten my entire life and it was funny because I had forgotten a lot of Foods I ate during college since it had been so long.

Amway, if you really want those Cravings to go away for good, jump on that horse and ride it the distance, which might take several months depending on how old you are and how much damage you’ve done by eating Foods that are less than ideal.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: LeilaX ()
Date: January 18, 2014 08:08AM

Thanks Veronique and John,
It is interesting what you say, John, about residues from those foods leaving your body.
yes, I meant that I am used to juice fasts with carrots and fruits. And though I know that green juice has some calories it is nothing like what you get with green juice alone.
I fasted most of the second day and then ate in the evening. It was then that my usual raw fare no longer seemed as substantial as usual. It wasn't so much the fast itself but afterwards that my usual happiness with being raw was dulled a bit and I ate some things I hadn't been eating like salt and a coconut agave dessert. And I thought, if this happens every week, the fast will hardly be worth it.

Brian Clement said that if you do such green juice fasts for 2-3 months, after that you will be used to it and even look forward to it. Is that what you mean by riding the distance for a few months. As far as detoxing is concerned, it wasn't so bad, at least.
Thanks guys,

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 18, 2014 10:22AM

r u still on the fast?
was it fun while it lasted?

( well, other than the cravings)
did u get good results and attain what u wanted?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables