Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I made my first batch of sauerkraut.....but
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: November 25, 2006 03:48PM

I made my first batch of sauerkraut.....but I'm not sure if I over fermented it. I t tastes vinegery, which is good,but i didn't add any salt, just cabbage and a dash of water. I left it for 7 days, since it's winter and cold in my kitchen. I am worried that I could be eating mould or something harmful! Maybe I should have added a little salt for a preservative. Should I have checked it every day after the 3rd day. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to eat it now! Any advice ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I made my first batch of sauerkraut.....but
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2006 04:11PM

I was just reading a sauerkraut recipe [chetday.com]
So much effort and at the end there is no way to test the batch is good.
Is it worth the effort?

Date: November 25, 2006 04:24PM

their recipe suggests 3-5 weeks for fermentation! It wasn't alot of effort. It was fun to make.

Date: November 25, 2006 06:33PM

Hi Rosemary,

What did you use to make the kraut? Did you use a Harsch crock pot? Did you add probiotics? If you did not use probiotics, you must use salt or the cabbage will rot.

If you use probiotics and the kraut is in a warm place, it will culture in 24 to 48 hours and you will not need to use salt.

Mike

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 25, 2006 07:53PM

Is rejuvalac a probiotic? I know it is often used as a starter for fermented foods.

Thanks!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: November 25, 2006 11:00PM

Rosemary & everyone,

I've made sauerkraut many times without salt or probiotics, just the cabbage and water in a large jar, tamped down tight. It would take several days to become kraut and was delicious. It didn't rot. It kept in my fridge for months.

Recently a batch of kraut didn't 'take' - it got nasty. I've ordered some probiotics and a kraut making kit. I'm looking forward to a different taste from the probiotics.

Date: November 26, 2006 12:46AM

There's no reason not to use salt, it gets consumed by bacteria as food and keeps bad bacteria from gaing control.

elnatural

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 26, 2006 02:37AM

ELL-NaturAl,

Actually, the salt is not consumed by the bacteria. If you put 1 tsp of salt in your kraut, and eat the whole thing, then you will have consumed 1 tsp of salt, and your body will need to work to eliminate that salt from your body, as it cannot absorb the sodium that is contained in salt. In fact, while the salt it in your body, it will kill or weaken any human cells it comes in contact with.

The salt in the kraut will hamper the growth the bacteria in the kraut. It is an antibacterial agent, and while in your body, it will also weaken (and perhaps kill) bacteria there. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on how healthy your internal flora is.

Date: November 26, 2006 02:39PM

Thanks all. I'll try probiotics next time. I guess any probiotic will do?

Date: November 26, 2006 03:47PM

Rosemary
Mike and I use primal defense with great successes.

elnatural

Date: November 26, 2006 04:35PM

"Salt will kill cells it comes into contact with"

So NHers must now believe that ocean water kills cells on contact.
The ocean where the most life on earth is and in the healthiest state of all. Bathed in salt solution their whole lives.

For a good look at the affect of salt solution - ocean water on human cells look at the first picture under "a 10 year raw perspective."

elnatural

Date: November 27, 2006 05:28PM

thanks ELL-NaturAl, don't know if I can get that in this neck of the woods, I'll try what i already have first...

Date: November 27, 2006 05:28PM

thanks ELL-NaturAl, don't know if I can get that in this neck of the woods, I'll try what i already have first...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables