Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Check the label's fine print.
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 02:16AM

Just an FYI for those of you who don't know this.

Since discovering I have Celiac's Disease, I use paper toweling on a communal keyboard if I'm eating while at the computer. Otherwise, there is a transferrence of gluten to my fingers and I ingest it and all the symptoms pop up soon afterwards.

I also found that even if something doesn't state the item is made in a factory that has wheat, one needs to be vigilant. I was eating raw nuts and I couldn't figure out why the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) was flaring up. I checked the fine print and it was processed in a factory that processed wheat. Sad. I liked those raw sunflower seeds.

I was eating some Asian noodles (bean thread, rice thread, Yam noodles) and the RA flared, again, in addition to other symptoms. I realized that Asians aren't as concerned about gluten and Celiac's Disease as the Caucasians are because Asians don't generally have it. I'm an exception to this generalization as I have Caucasian in me and had to learn the hard way that I have Celiac's. Had to give up Asian noodles and have to be careful around Asian food in general. This tact would apply to any ethnic food that revolves around wheat, like Italian food or French food, unless specifically made with gluten free ingredients.

Hope this helps anyone who has Celiac's. Therese

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check the label's fine print.
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 28, 2014 02:34AM

Perhaps you need to learn how to make your own gluten free noodles.

You could always use a spiroli or spiralizer and make zucchini noodles smiling smiley

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 28, 2014 03:10AM

Another tip is to buy nuts straight from the farmers to avoid cross contamination that happens when middlemen get involved. I have had surprisingly good luck buying from farmers on eBay. Just be careful to check feedback and buy from those who have 100% customer satisfaction.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: January 28, 2014 03:37PM

Hi Therese,

I went raw because of Celiacs and other Autoimmune conditions as well.

Almost all nuts and seeds are triggers for my R.A., etc. It doesn't seem to matter how fresh, or how they are processed. I have to avoid all of them except hemp seed hearts for some reason.

Being an raw Italian American, I can relate to what you saying. I like to eat more simply now, but I use to make zucchini noodles and raw pasta sauces. Maybe you can adapt a few sauces to use raw, or at least gluten free ingredients?

Date: January 28, 2014 04:27PM

Wow, Swimmer, I guess I should count my blessings that I don't have a problem with nuts and seeds especially since I don't eat hemp products.

If you don't mind my asking, which are the few nuts and seeds that don't give you RA flare ups?

Date: January 28, 2014 04:55PM

Hi SueZ,

I find they all give me problems. I'll admit to eating a couple of almonds once in a while, but they all cause flairs for me. I only eat raw organic hemp seed hearts on a regular basis. Hemp seeds are great, really tasty, you should try them.

It seems that everyone is different, with different triggers. Being raw helps a lot, but even after 12 years 100% or high raw, I find I'm still on the more sensitive end of the spectrum when it comes to food triggers. So I eat very simple (mono, or meals with very few ingredients).

Date: January 28, 2014 06:09PM

Great info powerlifter, I agree that the adrenal dysfunction is often associated with auto-immune conditions. The two are not always connected in a cause/effect way. Many auto-immune conditions being a result of a specific genetic defect.

Here's a very informative site of specific Primary Immunodeficiencies.
[www.info4pi.org]

"Selective IgA Deficiency is the most common of the primary Immunodeficiencies"
Check out how it can manifest:
[www.info4pi.org]

Date: January 28, 2014 06:31PM

swimmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi SueZ,
>
> I find they all give me problems. I'll admit to
> eating a couple of almonds once in a while, but
> they all cause flairs for me. I only eat raw
> organic hemp seed hearts on a regular basis. Hemp
> seeds are great, really tasty, you should try
> them.
>
> It seems that everyone is different, with
> different triggers. Being raw helps a lot, but
> even after 12 years 100% or high raw, I find I'm
> still on the more sensitive end of the spectrum
> when it comes to food triggers. So I eat very
> simple (mono, or meals with very few ingredients).

Thanks, Swimmer. One thing I have found over the years is that some of the foods I was having trouble with turned out to have been caused by their texture and viscosity more than any other factor. For instance I have no problem with almond butter as long as it is smooth but could not tolerate chunky nut butters or unground nuts and seeds no matter how much I chewed them up.

Another example of this "mechanical" problem being the cause of some of my intolerances was with avocados which I read somewhere have a very "sticky" fat that some people have trouble digesting. I tested this on myself as an experiment as I couldn't figure out why avocados were the only oil rich food I couldn't digest. I was very happy to find that as long as I add a tablespoon or so of living stone ground oil along with avocados my problem with digesting them properly completely went away!

I am extremely sensitive to gluten and have avoided it for 25 long years. As you did I also turned to eating a raw food diet due to an inadvertent exposure to gluten which made me break out in an awful itchy and painful rash from head to toe. My mistake was in believing that the "new gluten free" oatmeal might be ok to try.

I don't mind hemp too much but since there are so many things I like better I'm going to wait to give it a second chance until the US gets it's act together and allows it be legally grown here and I can buy it live with the hulls on.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:07PM

Have you tried sprouted grain noodles? And I would say that it's probably not a good idea to buy pasta from Asian markets. I wouldn't trust the quality control (no offense) for precisely the reason you mentioned. There are companies with brown rice and quinoa pasta that would probably state that they are gluten-free and therefore not allergenic. However, if there is no statement like that, then you are right.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:09PM

Example: [www.amazon.com]

Date: January 28, 2014 09:39PM

SueZ,

I love nut butters, but they are all triggers for me. Raw or roasted, organic, farm purchased, store bought or home made, it doesn't seem to matter. sad smiley

Date: January 28, 2014 11:37PM

swimmer Wrote:
> SueZ,
>
> I love nut butters, but they are all triggers for
> me. Raw or roasted, organic, farm purchased, store
> bought or home made, it doesn't seem to matter. sad smiley

Darn it, Swimmer, that sucks. Do even macadamia nuts do it? They seem to be the easiest for me to eat the most of.

Date: January 29, 2014 03:32PM

Thanks SueZ,

It's no big deal. I'm just better off not trying. The days of pain and fatigue that would probably follow are not worth it.

Therese, Sorry if we hijacked your thread. I hope you find some good alternatives.

My solution is that I eat very few things that are processed in any way. Hemp seeds are a rare exception for me.

Good luck!

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 31, 2014 03:38AM

Thanks for everyone's posts. I forgot that I posted. I did find value in everyone's comments.

swimmer, No apology necessary. I'm sorry to hear about your extreme sensitivity to all nuts. I'm still trying to figure out what I can eat that will give me sufficient nutrients and keep me trim. I don't do well with hemp seeds due to the smell.

I have bad anemia so I really have to supplement with iron. I've been using Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds to help with the Omega's. They have helped my lips from cracking in addition to Nutritional Yeast and seaweed. Once I started eating seaweed on a regular basis, my lips began to shine. I hadn't noticed the shine was gone until it came back.

Thanks, again, to all. Therese

Date: January 31, 2014 03:40PM

life101 Wrote:
> I have bad anemia so I really have to supplement
> with iron.

One thing to remember is to take your iron along with foods that are high in vitamin c for better absorption and at a different time of the day than your foods that have a lot of calcium in them.

Once I started eating seaweed
> on a regular basis, my lips began to shine. I
> hadn't noticed the shine was gone until it came
> back.

If you keep up with the seaweed and get you iron back up your lips will also be rosy pink without wearing any lipstick! It's pretty amazing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables