Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Spirulina reduces copper toxicity
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 29, 2014 03:19PM

[www.naturalnews.com]

A study was conducted in India at the P.G. and Research Department of Zoology of V.O. Chidambaram College, examining the effects that dietary spirulina have on reducing toxic amounts of copper in carp.

The researchers studied copper reduction based on food utilization of spirulina, phosphatases activities and selected haematological (blood) parameters.

The fish species in the study, C. mrigala, contained toxic amounts of copper concentrations in body tissue. The researchers set out to also study copper amounts in the fish's fecal matter as spirulina was administered.

The researchers added spirulina to the fish's diet, and they watched as 6% increases of dietary spirulina began showing positive results.

The fish, which were overloaded with the metal, began expelling it from their bodies through their waste. Copper measurements in fecal matter increased from the start.

Furthermore, large dietary amounts of the blue-green algae reduced haematological parameters, lowering chances of blood disease, and liver and kidney toxicity.

The most effective dose of spirulina was a 6% addition to the fish's diet. This amount maximized the elimination of copper without completely depleting the body of it. It improved the fish's growth, healthy blood levels and phosphatases activities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spirulina reduces copper toxicity
Date: January 29, 2014 06:27PM

Furthermore, it seems that spirulina alone might be enough to satisfy daily iron requirements, or at the very least, chlorella and spirulina.

[www.algaeindustrymagazine.com]

spirulinacanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Benefits-of-Spirulina.pdf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 06:37PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: January 29, 2014 07:19PM

The next thing we will read is that spirulina and chlorella are grown in contaminated waters and not worth taking as supplements.

Everything is contaminated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 07:20PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: January 29, 2014 07:28PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Everything is contaminated.

False.

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: January 29, 2014 07:36PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
> The next thing we will read is that spirulina and
> chlorella are grown in contaminated waters and not
> worth taking as supplements.
>
> Everything is contaminated.

They are often grown in contaminated waters so thats not wrong, there can be contamination issues with any algae or sea food such as sea vegetables. The few studies which show spirulina to be contaminated tend to conclude that outside contamination with other algaes was the issue from the research ive done.

Overall Chlorella and Spirulina have shown to be safe from the majority of studies and have multiple health benefits, compared to the likes of Klamath Lake blue green algae which regularly shows to be toxic and the conclusion that its questionable for humans to consume.

As with most superfoods its best to go with Organic Spirulina, contrary to what many people say, its not easy to get these type of superfoods organic certified by the likes of the soil association, the product must be of high quality and goes through testing at numerous points during production.

You get what you pay for in many cases, alot of the unbranded spirulina on ebay is just cheap bulk chinese crap, thats not very fresh and can be months/years old.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 07:40PM by powerlifter.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 29, 2014 09:04PM

- jtprindl, was there a control population in the fish study? i can't see the study.

- powerlifter, how do you know your copper decreased ?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:56AM

fresh Wrote:
> - jtprindl, was there a control population in the
> fish study? i can't see the study.

Naturalnews does not link the study in the article but the primary source is online and I read it. There was a control population used but they didn't get too far into how much copper was released as liquid into the water - which I found disappointing as copper does kidney damage, too.

One thing is for sure, if enough people scale up the studies' 6% optimum spirulina dosage to try on themselves, and buy it from Mike Adams, he will have his lab paid off in no time...

> - powerlifter, how do you know your copper
> decreased ?

I would like to know this, too, Powerlifter. Did your sense of taste become suddenly restored or something like that?

OT a bit but also, remember when you told me that you used to have longitudinal raised lines on your fingernails, like I do, but now they are gone and were a sign of copper toxicity? I've been looking all over for anything written up on that topic but can't find a thing. Are you sure you weren't confusing that nail problem with white marks on nails, which I don't have but you may have?
Now that you've got me wondering about my copper levels I'd like to get this set straight because from what I'm reading of the symptoms due to the imbalance it doesn't sound like I should be worried.

Date: January 30, 2014 02:00AM

>Naturalnews does not link the study in the article but the primary source is online and I read it. There was a control population used but they didn't get too far into how much copper was released as liquid into the water - which I found disappointing as copper does kidney damage, too.

did you see the copper levels on the control group?

Date: January 30, 2014 02:17AM

fresh Wrote:
> >Naturalnews does not link the study in the
> article but the primary source is online and I
> read it. There was a control population used but
> they didn't get too far into how much copper was
> released as liquid into the water - which I found
> disappointing as copper does kidney damage, too.
>
> did you see the copper levels on the control
> group?

I can't remember. I wasn't too impressed and so didn't bookmark the study. Just google it and if you can't find it let me know and I'll refind it for you.

Date: January 30, 2014 02:47AM

got it. I'm not lazy, just not on a good computer device and I didn't see the pdf link until now.

The study was well done, except that what it says is that,

beta carotene, chlorophyll, phycocyanin (accessory pigment to chlorophyll)

do their magic in reducing the copper.

The thing is that unless phycocyanin is the ONLY item that chelates copper,
and IT IS NOT as the study states that chlorophyll fulfills this need, as I am sure many others do,

the study means NOTHING in a practical sense, because
MANY plant foods- fruits and leaves contain those chemicals.

Primates ingest plant matter. That plant matter contains these chemicals
just like spirulina does. There is nothing that shows that ONLY phycocyanin is capable of this effect.

So this is another case of trying to attribute MAGICAL properties to "SUPERFOODS", when it is the synergistic effect of foods and the bodily processes that automatically and at all times attempts to detoxify the body.

but hey, keep on with the superfood nonsense.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:02AM

fresh Wrote:
> got it. I'm not lazy, just not on a good computer
> device and I didn't see the pdf link until now.
>
> The study was well done, except that what it says
> is that,
>
> beta carotene, chlorophyll, phycocyanin (accessory
> pigment to chlorophyll)
>
> do their magic in reducing the copper.
>
> The thing is that unless phycocyanin is the ONLY
> item that chelates copper,
> and IT IS NOT as the study states that chlorophyll
> fulfills this need, as I am sure many others do,
>
> the study means NOTHING in a practical sense,
> because
> MANY plant foods- fruits and leaves contain those
> chemicals.
>
> Primates ingest plant matter. That plant matter
> contains these chemicals
> just like spirulina does. There is nothing that
> shows that ONLY phycocyanin is capable of this
> effect.
>
>
> So this is another case of trying to attribute
> MAGICAL properties to "SUPERFOODS", when it is the
> synergistic effect of foods and the bodily
> processes that automatically and at all times
> attempts to detoxify the body.
>
> but hey, keep on with the superfood nonsense.

Superfoods do exist, which would include nutrient synergy. Even if it wasn't the phycocyanin alone which cause the reduced copper toxicity, the synergistic effect of it combined with beta-carotene and chlorophyll could've been responsible. Phycocyanin on its own has a great deal of documented health benefits. How would foods like goji berries, mangosteen, camu camu, maqui, chaga/reishi mushrooms, chlorella, etc. not be superfoods?

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 03:05AM by jtprindl.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:10AM

all foods contain varying amounts of these things and just the weird mind of humans that feel a need for magic plus $ aspects that are involved.

humans are meddlers and just can't accept that the body can handle itself without our assistance.

but I am likely a minority voice on that.

so I will exit this thread now.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:27AM

fresh Wrote:
> all foods contain varying amounts of these things
> and just the weird mind of humans that feel a need
> for magic plus $ aspects that are involved.
>
> humans are meddlers and just can't accept that the
> body can handle itself without our assistance.

What other foods contain phycocyanin? I don't really get what you're saying, based off your last statement it would seem as if you're saying we should all be breatharian? If you think superfoods are a scam for companies to get more money, just look at the scientific data.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:49AM

fresh Wrote:
> all foods contain varying amounts of these things
> and just the weird mind of humans that feel a need
> for magic plus $ aspects that are involved.

Well sort of... but the weird mind of humans usually screw things up so badly that by the time we individual humans in every dying civilization realize the mess our species has gotten ourselves into yet again we need the most nutrient dense foods we can find to provide our bodies what they need to rebuild and heal from generations upon generations of toxic accumulating crazy like we are dealing with today. There are children now who are getting old people diseases before they have even had a chance to grow into teenagers! There is magic out we've overlooked and forgotten about and we owe it to the generations who are following us to find and refind it. IMO.

> humans are meddlers and just can't accept that the
> body can handle itself without our assistance.

Since humans are meddlers that's why our bodies need our help to restore conditions that will provide for growing and eating nutrient dense foods or in very few generations there aint going to be anyone left to meddle. Our species is in very serious trouble and each generation is getting weaker and more sickly.

>
> but I am likely a minority voice on that.
>
> so I will exit this thread now.

Can't participate without some sort of 811 posse shoulder to shoulder with you or something? I bet if you whistle the clan will appear so you won't feel lonely.

Date: January 30, 2014 03:56AM

SueZ,

your comments are not relevant to my point, but hey, glad I gave you a little soapbox there.

>Can't participate without some sort of 811 posse shoulder to shoulder with you or something? I bet if you whistle the clan will appear so you won't feel lonely.

how about, NO, and assume much?

but keep trying to get a rise out of people, if that works for you.

still doing 70% fat?

Date: January 30, 2014 04:17AM

fresh Wrote:
> SueZ,
>
> your comments are not relevant to my point, but
> hey, glad I gave you a little soapbox there.

I see a soap box I pull up my own sometimes regardless of it's relevance to the first one's which just happened to be yours this time.

> >Can't participate without some sort of 811 posse
> shoulder to shoulder with you or something? I bet
> if you whistle the clan will appear so you won't
> feel lonely.
>
> how about, NO, and assume much?

Yes I assume much when I read the same old same old enough times.

> but keep trying to get a rise out of people, if
> that works for you.
>
> still doing 70% fat?

68.3% this week and my blood sugar's benefiting greatly, thank you.

Date: January 30, 2014 04:25AM

wow.

so you're checking your blood sugar regularly?
and even before your latest experiment?

i would love to see that data.
plotted over time

And NOW, back to SPIRULINA!!!

Date: January 30, 2014 01:16PM

Thanks for the run down, Powerlifter, to be on the safe side I am not going to take zinc supplements even though in my own case I'm thinking my nail ridges have more to do with my thyroid having been out of whack and having been anemic for ten years, etc.

Long ago the alternative MD I had at that time, as most alternative doctors did back when Wilson was all the rage, put me and almost all of her patients on p-5-p and some of his other recommendations automatically. That was way back when the new "Zone Diet" was taking off and a lot of both regular and alternative doctors put everyone on that, too. I called it the "twilight zone diet". I'm sure that diet damaged a lot of people's kidneys. It was awful even in it's vegetarian version.

I'm old enough to have seen many of these fads sweep through and then totally vanish - not to say there aren't a lot of people who have been copper poisoned. Copper pipes, copper stills, even some amalgam fillings had high copper content as some of mine did, come to mind. Getting rid of mercury fillings, IMO, is probably the single most important thing people can do to relieve themselves of metal imbalances as everyone who has had that done, that I have ever met, can testify to.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 30, 2014 04:52PM

Could it be that much of the toxicity is due to people not eating raw. Raw food is cleansing in itself.

Date: January 30, 2014 05:08PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Could it be that much of the toxicity is due to
> people not eating raw. Raw food is cleansing in
> itself.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the raw food community, in my opinion. People think all they have to do is just eat raw fruits and vegetables and anything and everything will then work out. This is not true. There's no denying that raw foods are essential to human health, cleansing, and longevity.. but to think of the diet as a "cure-all" isn't being realistic. Furthermore, most raw foodists don't eat their foods fresh (store-bought is not fresh), which further hinders their ability to succeed, particularly in the long-run. Most also don't eat algae's, sprouts, or sea vegetables. Why are these essential? Look no further than their nutritional content. Sprouts are vastly nutritionally superior than vegetables. Algae's are loaded with chlorophyll, high-quality protein, and other essential nutrients. Sea vegetables are loaded with iodine and other minerals. In the toxic cesspool world we live in where we are surrounded by toxins in the environment and eating foods from depleted soils, these foods are necessary for optimal health.

Copper toxicity is an issue with a raw vegan diet because most plant-based foods are rich in copper but low in zinc. Foods like chlorella and spirulina help balance these levels by removing excess copper and providing a good source of zinc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 05:09PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 30, 2014 06:21PM

Great post, thanks.
I guess maybe I have toxicity but do not know it.
I do not feel there is a problem though, I am doing fine.
No noticeable health problem, always full of energy.
Into sprouts, wheatgrass, not much sea veggies but I use kelp capsule daily.
Never used chlorella and spirulina. I do not know if I am missing out.
Is there a test for finding out how much one is toxic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 06:31PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: January 30, 2014 06:56PM

>From blood tests and symptoms, the main ones being my bones began to thin and my co-ordination began to get very weird, plus some hair began to lose its color pigmentation, typical signs of copper depletion.

you had tests tell you your bones began to thin? hard to believe. and you connect this alleged bone thinning to heavy metals?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 31, 2014 05:22AM

powerlifter jtprindl

<< > The most effective dose of spirulina was a 6%
> addition to the fish's diet. This amount maximized
> the elimination of copper without completely
> depleting the body of it.

I like this last line, this is very important when consuming foods which have "chelation" properties such as spirulina and chlorella.

I know from experience that taking too much chlorella lowered my copper so much at times, that it caused low copper or copper bio-unavailibility.

Both amazing foods, but anecdotally i feel chlorella has much stronger chelation effects on copper and heavy metals, than spirulina does.

Impressive none the less. >>

thanks for showing this study
intriguing
yes, it is a thing of great beauty
when you can enjoy the gifts of profound nutrifying (plus chelating) without the, at times, deleterious stripping effects of chelation

nice

hope further research affirms this

Date: January 31, 2014 03:06PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> powerlifter jtprindl
>
> << > The most effective dose of spirulina was a
> 6%
> > addition to the fish's diet. This amount
> maximized
> > the elimination of copper without completely
> > depleting the body of it.
>
> I like this last line, this is very important when
> consuming foods which have "chelation" properties
> such as spirulina and chlorella.
>
> I know from experience that taking too much
> chlorella lowered my copper so much at times, that
> it caused low copper or copper
> bio-unavailibility.
>
> Both amazing foods, but anecdotally i feel
> chlorella has much stronger chelation effects on
> copper and heavy metals, than spirulina does.
>
> Impressive none the less. >>
>
>
>
> thanks for showing this study
> intriguing
> yes, it is a thing of great beauty
> when you can enjoy the gifts of profound
> nutrifying (plus chelating) without the, at
> times, deleterious stripping effects of chelation
>
> nice
>
> hope further research affirms this

How much chlorella were you taking daily? I look at this overall as a positive because it's so easy on a raw vegan diet to intake a lot of copper, and it's even worse when zinc levels remain low. So if there's a way to easily draw out that excess copper, which seems to be the case with chlorella and spirulina, I think many vegans could really benefit from this. If they can break free from the "all I need is fruit" mentality lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 03:07PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 31, 2014 03:24PM

powerlifter Wrote:

> P5P aka active vitamin B6, will lower copper. What
> did you think of it ?

I was doing so many things at the time that I can't separate out what it itself was doing except that I was told not to take it after 2 pm or vivid dreams may keep my awake at night. Of course I couldn't resist that test and found that it did keep me up at night with vivid dreams when I took it in the afternoon so I assume it was really doing something or other.

However when I also tested taking just regular B complex vitamins in the afternoon I also had vivid dreams keep me awake at night. (BTW, now that I am thinking about dreams I don't think I even had one that I woke up and remembered the whole eleven months I was on a hclf diet.)

many individuals have a
> genetic issue or problems converting
> pyridoxine(inactive vitamin b6) into active P5P.
> It helped some of my health problems but the
> detoxification and copper dumping symptoms in the
> beginning were intense, just like when i started
> zinc years ago. Without Chlorella, Alginates(from
> seaweed) and pectasol-C i don't think i would have
> survived, especially the anxiety/panic which
> copper dumping causes.

In my experience which were probably similar to what you are calling detoxification and copper dumping symptoms were scary as hell, too. There were three times when I had "this is it" moments and I really don't know how I lived through them. One of those times peristalsis just stopped and I lived on carrot and romaine lettuce juice for three months until it started again.

Those 'events' made it feel more as though something originating in physics rather than biology was occurring in me and became one of the biggest draws, for me, toward raw vegan conductivity diets. I was taking chlorella but not taking seaweed way back then but I was examining what came out of me and took note that the metallics were clinging to the remains of the gelatin shells of the oil soluble vitamins I was taking. One of the reasons I eat a lot of seaweed now is for that analogous quality they have of dragging out metallics.

* I'm editing this post to add that I also was taking 10 grams a day of vitamin c a day at that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 03:27PM by SueZ.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 31, 2014 06:37PM

My continuing concern about spriulina is the risk of cross contamination from non-spirulina blue green algae. [nutritionfacts.org] Cyanotech and Earthrise are the main providers of quality spirulina that Julie Daniluk has mentioned in her recent article. [www.juliedaniluk.com] Both companies have heavy metal specs for lead, mercury and cadmium. Now, if they have something comparable for qa/qc for cross-contamination, you have my attention. Checking.

Paul

Date: January 31, 2014 09:32PM

pborst Wrote:
> My continuing concern about spriulina is the risk
> of cross contamination from non-spirulina blue
> green algae.
> [nutritionfacts.org]
> nked-to-mothers-spirulina-use/ Cyanotech and
> Earthrise are the main providers of quality
> spirulina that Julie Daniluk has mentioned in her
> recent article.
> [www.juliedaniluk.com]-
> the-king-of-superfoods.html Both companies have
> heavy metal specs for lead, mercury and cadmium.
> Now, if they have something comparable for qa/qc
> for cross-contamination, you have my attention.
> Checking.
>
> Paul

This may make you feel better about spirulina then...
[www.naturalnews.com]

But for me, as the main providers of quality spirulina are downstream, etc.,of Fukushima, no way am I interested in ingesting it. Not ever.

Date: January 31, 2014 09:40PM

I get both my chlorella and spirulina from [www.rawpower.com]. Here's a description regarding quality and testing.

"Raw Power chlorella and spirulina tablets and powder are 100% pure
organic chlorella pyrenoidsa and 100% pure organic Spirulina Platensis
(with no sprays, chemicals, fillers, binding agents, additives, etc. at
all).

The chlorella and spirulina are cultivated in Taiwan (over 1300 miles
from the Fukushima disaster in Japan), outdoors in direct natural
sunlight in state-of-the-art man-made tanks (this is the best and
cleanest way to grow chlorella and spirulina) using spring-fed water
then they are transferred inside to purified water tanks where they are
tested, then dried, then cold-processed into 100% pure tablets or sifted
into fine powders.

The tablets and powder are lab tested for radiation, bacteria and heavy
metals twice, once before they are shipped, and again once they arrive
here in the USA. The FDA now holds and tests food shipments coming from
Asian countries before releasing them.

Our testing shows that they are free of radiation and contain less than
5 parts per million in total heavy metals, which means heavy metals are
basically non-existent. Our chlorella and spirulina are grown and
manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility and is an Quality Assured
Firm ISO 9001 and holds a GMP certificate.

Our radiation tests show our source is free of environmental radiation.
All lots are tested and monitored for Iodine-131, Cesium-134, and
Cesium-137 and results have always been below the detection level of 0.5
Bq/kg. In other words, a common banana emits more radiation than our
products. (Bananas contain naturally occurring radioactive potassium.)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 09:40PM by jtprindl.

Date: January 31, 2014 09:46PM

powerlifter Wrote:

>
> Jtprindl i was taking about a tablespoon or more
> of chlorella in the beginning, then by the end
> just 2-8 500mg tablets daily. Generally i think a
> small amount of chlorella daily shouldn't likely
> pose any issue and is very nutrient rich. Id
> rather utilize wholefood natural sources of
> nutrients.

One thing I really like about the Conductivity Diet is that I am in a constant state of deep detox but it is comparatively usually very gentle - although there have been several nights where I have been compelled to leave the front door unlocked, roll up the foyer carpet out of the way, and sleep in my street clothes with a phone next to my bed just in case I had to call an ambulance.

I am still taking a T of chlorella a day.

>
> I like enerfood green superfood as a natural
> source of nutrients, includes seaweeds such as
> kelp, dulse, algaes such as chlorella, spirulina,
> wheatgrass, barleygrass, ayurvedic herbs and more.
>
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:01AM by Prana.

Date: January 31, 2014 11:38PM

>One thing I really like about the Conductivity Diet is that I am in a constant state of deep detox but it is comparatively usually very gentle

I thought all that detox talk was nonsense from the natural hygiene/801010 lunatics .....

what do you mean, you feel sluggish?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables