Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Don Bennett and John Kohler on iodine deficiency
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 08, 2014 03:17AM

Check out what Don and John have to say about possible iodine deficiency on the raw diet One Mineral Deficiency on a Raw Vegan Diet that will Sabotage Your Health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don Bennett and John Kohler on iodine deficiency
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 08, 2014 04:04AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out what Don and John have to say about
> possible iodine deficiency on the raw diet One
> Mineral Deficiency on a Raw Vegan Diet that will
> Sabotage Your Health.

Lol. I've posted and commented on this video twice already, Prana!

Please let us know if you get the results from John. Also, do you know if he uses any sea vegetable amendments in his soil? I have read that one of the reasons the Japanese people are so much less iodine deficient than we are is they use a huge amount of seaweed in their compost. Thanks.

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: February 08, 2014 07:23AM

so dulse doesnt contain iodine? don says it doesnt because it is dried. hmm.

is there a difference between taking it internally versus topically?

Date: February 08, 2014 02:12PM

> Dulse contains iodine whether fresh or dried.

It does but not much. One interesting thing about Dulse is that it is as hard as other seaweeds when it dries. The reason we can buy it moist enough to eat straight out of the package is because it has been remoistened and left damp while it goes through a process similar to fermentation.

Another interesting thing about dulse is the darker purple it is the more shade it has grown in.

> Minerals are typically stable even when heated and
> non-raw.

The exception to that would be iodine. It can go straight from a solid to a gas.

Date: February 08, 2014 03:11PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Dulse contains iodine whether fresh or dried.
> >
> > It does but not much.
>
> Are you sure Suez ?
>
> WHfoods and other sites have dried dulse at 1
> tablespoon or 5 grams having around 500% of the
> RDA for iodine.
>
> [www.whfoods.com]
> &dbid=135
>
> We don't need massive doses of iodine either,
> infact many can be iodine sensitive or have
> conditions such as auto-immune hashimoto's where
> they have to monitor there iodine intake. Taking
> too much iodine can also possibly cause
> hyperthyroidism.
>
> There are many seaweeds such as nori which are
> lower in iodine compared to the likes of kelp. I
> like them all in moderation really, but i tend to
> use kelp as my staple for iodine/minerals.
>

Powerlifter, according to my approximations chart, which is measured in mg/100g...

dulse 5.2, alaria 16.6, kelp 45.3, arame 98-564, kombo 193-471,wakame 18-35, nori 0.5, rockweed 153.7, bladderwrack 65.

I personally do not believe Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease. I think the problem has more to do with the body attacking Hg in the thyroid which has bonded to sulfur. Because of this though and since I have Hashimotos I take a lot of sulfur containing foods and a lot of seaweed which are both counterindicated with hashimotos. So far so good for me. I would not recommend anyone do what I'm doing though. I live experimentally and sometimes it's dangerous.

I don't think the RDA's view on iodine is worth anything, quite frankly. Nuclear radiation and dead soils change everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:00AM by Prana.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 08, 2014 03:19PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> -----
> > > Dulse contains iodine whether fresh or dried.
> >
> > It does but not much.
>
> Are you sure Suez ?
>
> WHfoods and other sites have dried dulse at 1
> tablespoon or 5 grams having around 500% of the
> RDA for iodine.
>
> [www.whfoods.com]
> &dbid=135
>
> We don't need massive doses of iodine either,
> infact many can be iodine sensitive or have
> conditions such as auto-immune hashimoto's where
> they have to monitor there iodine intake. Taking
> too much iodine can also possibly cause
> hyperthyroidism.

This is not the case with the vast majority of people though. You'd have to take extreme mega-doses of iodine to overdose. Excess iodine gets flushed out of the body. So if you're iodine sensitive or have long-term selenium deficiency, too much iodine can be a problem, but for most people it's irrelevant.

Date: February 08, 2014 03:41PM

jtprindl Wrote:
So if you're iodine
> sensitive or have long-term selenium deficiency,
> too much iodine can be a problem,

but for most
> people it's irrelevant.

This is simply not true. Only the ignorant think it is true. You have much to learn.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 08, 2014 03:48PM

SueZ Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> -----
> So if you're iodine
> > sensitive or have long-term selenium
> deficiency,
> > too much iodine can be a problem,
>
>
>
> but for most
> > people it's irrelevant.
>
>
> This is simply not true. Only the ignorant
> think it is true. You have much to learn.

Right. By the way, when I said you'd have to take extreme mega-doses, I was referring to sea vegetables. You'd have to consume an enormous amount of iodine from sea vegetables to overdose. In the vast majority of people, excess iodine from sea vegetables would be flushed out of the body.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 03:53PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 08, 2014 04:02PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> The RDA for iodine is fairly low i agree and
> typically just enough to stop goiter from
> occuring. I do also believe we can benefit from
> slightly higher iodine intake similar to the
> Asians who get the therapeutic effects of iodine
> such as lowered risk of certain cancers.
>
> Iodine deficiency allows toxic halogens such as
> fluorides and bromine to build up, so iodine can
> be an important antagonist here.
>

I almost missed your post here.

The other halogens building up is a HUGE problem, IMO. Especially since I've learned that there is no regulation on even toxic metals in "organic" soils and that our food soil's calcium amending is being shamelessly replaced with halogen rich coal fly ash from power plants.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 12:00AM by Prana.

Date: February 11, 2014 01:53AM

Darn it, darn it, darn it. I've just been going through John Kohler's videos only to find that not only has he been using Pacific seaweed in his wonderful garden - he's been eating it to protect against radiation!

Like many people back then who tragically listened to the advise of the nuclear energy owned mainstream press and universities he wasn't told there is a difference between non-ionizing radiation, (the sun and cell phones, etc.), and ionizing radiation from the nuclear power plant catastrophes. He wasn't told by the nuclear energy owned talking heads that three meltdowns were already ongoing or anything about the MOX plutonium. And of course the "news" that there were three meltdowns immediately has only recently been announced.

This video was posted three days before the first major plume 'was said' to have arrived in the western US. So that is good but he has other videos at the beach where he's collecting more radioactive seaweed. Not good.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 11, 2014 02:44AM

does anybody here test the food for radiation (geiger)? If so, have you found anything so far?

Date: February 11, 2014 03:27AM

Panchito Wrote:
> does anybody here test the food for radiation
> (geiger)? If so, have you found anything so far?

Yes. And yes - but very little over background. It's a tedious process so I don't do it often and it's just an approximation with my $500 monitor but it's doable.

The highest reading I've gotten so far from food was from a packet of Japanese seaweed that's been in the pantry for at least 7 years, lol.

I think everyone who can afford one should invest because soon there will be shortages again. I ordered mine the week of the Fukushima meltdowns but didn't get it until June of that year.

Tell you what I do most of my testing on - metals. Most scrap from around the world goes to China and plenty of radioactive new stuff will be incoming from there, silverware, pots and pans, you name it. The worldwide authorities keep raising the 'safe' limits on anything radioactive. Don't expect any help from them. Don't expect to be told anything either.

[www.geigercounters.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 11, 2014 04:16AM

wow $500

$159 [www.amazon.com]

Date: February 11, 2014 04:46AM

Panchito Wrote:
> wow $500
>
> $159
> [www.amazon.com]-
> Replaces/dp/B005ZQ47AS/ref=sr_1_1

Not good enough for food.

Date: February 11, 2014 01:47PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Like many people back then who tragically
> listened to the advise of the nuclear energy owned
> mainstream press and universities he wasn't told
> there is a difference between non-ionizing
> radiation, (the sun and cell phones, etc.), and
> ionizing radiation from the nuclear power plant
> catastrophes. He wasn't told by the nuclear energy
> owned talking heads that three meltdowns were
> already ongoing or anything about the MOX
> plutonium. And of course the "news" that there
> were three meltdowns immediately has only recently
> been announced.

This link shows who owns the media and why most people who get their news there think the ongoing and escalating Fukushima catastrophe is something that happened in the past.

[la.indymedia.org]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: February 11, 2014 02:51PM

"So you have a World Conglomerate of Corporation that goes around and they’re the ones that own the Federal Reserve, they’re the ones that own all of the Media. Now in the last 20 years, the number of owners of the Major Media in the US went from 50 down to 5. Guess what? Those 5 are actually - through Interlocking Directorate - they’re all One Company - One Group." -Karen Hudes

Here's the paragraph that precedes the one above to give more credence to these stats...

"OK, I’ll answer your last question first because I’m sure your listeners are saying why should I take this lady’s word for it? It’s not my word for it, there’s very accurate data on who owns the Transnational Company - 40,000 of them and there’s a group of mathematicians in Switzerland in an Institute that’s the #1 University in Europe and what they did was they did a model of that accurate ownership data and they found out that there’s a group of 147 Companies and most of these are Financial Institutions and they own 40% of the Net Worth of the Stock Market all over the world and they own 60% of the Earnings. But it’s not like they have a lot of Money. It’s they did it through Interlocking Corporate Directorate in a clever way in a secret way and it’s only because those mathematicians were able to model it that they found out that guess what? All of these separate companies because of the Interlocking Directorate (board of directors), they’re all actually One Conglomerate."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 02:59PM by John Rose.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 11, 2014 02:54PM

>Not good enough for food.

based on what?

manufacturer states it can be used for food, as did a user of the unit.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: February 11, 2014 03:08PM

<<<This link shows who owns the media...>>>

This link is too confusing because "they’re all One Company - One Group!!!"

"So you have a World Conglomerate of Corporation that goes around and they’re the ones that own the Federal Reserve, they’re the ones that own all of the Media. Now in the last 20 years, the number of owners of the Major Media in the US went from 50 down to 5. Guess what? Those 5 are actually - through Interlocking Directorate - they’re all One Company - One Group." -Karen Hudes

Here's the paragraph that precedes the one above to give more credence to these stats...

"OK, I’ll answer your last question first because I’m sure your listeners are saying why should I take this lady’s word for it? It’s not my word for it, there’s very accurate data on who owns the Transnational Company - 40,000 of them and there’s a group of mathematicians in Switzerland in an Institute that’s the #1 University in Europe and what they did was they did a model of that accurate ownership data and they found out that there’s a group of 147 Companies and most of these are Financial Institutions and they own 40% of the Net Worth of the Stock Market all over the world and they own 60% of the Earnings. But it’s not like they have a lot of Money. It’s they did it through Interlocking Corporate Directorate in a clever way in a secret way and it’s only because those mathematicians were able to model it that they found out that guess what? All of these separate companies because of the Interlocking Directorate (board of directors), they’re all actually One Conglomerate."

Date: February 11, 2014 03:27PM

This article is from a few years ago before the news was less in lock down mode.

Anyone, especially those who are on the left coast or eat food grown there, can benefit from reading it.

[www.vcreporter.com]

Here is a bit of it...

"The study spells out a horrific scenario in which compromised irradiated fuel turned huge amounts of ocean water into a series of uranium-related peroxide compounds containing as many as 60 “uranyl ions” in hardy nanoscale cage clusters that can “potentially transport uranium over long distances” and persist for “at least 294 days without detectable change.”

How hot these nano-cage clusters of cancer-causing radiation are depends on what kind and ratio of uranium isotopes make up the 60 in each one.

“A given isotope has the same radioactivity (half-life) regardless of what chemical state it is in,” Alexandra Navrotsky, Ph.D., director of nanomaterials research at U.C. Davis, told the VCReporter. “So the radioactivity for a constant number of U atoms depends on the proportion of different isotopes in the sample.”

"There is a strong possibility that these uranium peroxide buckyballs are already sloshing around in the waters off Southern California as this reporter and the EPA’s radiation readings appear to indicate. But if it was the source of our high detections what was the mechanism that was transporting radiation inland.

Sea spray, perhaps. Radioactive sea spray has been shown to blow hundreds of kilometers inland in tests conducted in the United Kingdom by British and European researchers. As any one who has ever smelled the salty ocean air miles from the ocean might expect, salt in sea spray can travel a significant distance. The same holds true for radioactive particles floating in the sea, even if in addition to U60 buckyballs".

Date: February 11, 2014 03:51PM

fresh Wrote:
> >Not good enough for food.
>
> based on what?
>
> manufacturer states it can be used for food, as
> did a user of the unit.

If you want to believe everything manufacturers tell you - go for it. You will be happier with your readings and can smile more. The Japanese authorities say people who smile more don't have to worry about radiation only people who don't smile can be struck down with radiation problems.

OK. sarcasm off. To answer your question - Not good based on science, Mueller tubes in this instance.

Here's a good primer for you, fresh...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 03:52PM by SueZ.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:18PM

Thats like the smog in china...
There was a story that the govt was putting out
The benefits of smog
[world.time.com]

Date: February 11, 2014 10:21PM

Perhaps the best seaweeds come from my area, the area around King Island and Tasmania. Well away from all these disaster areas.
[santostrading.com.au]

None-the-less, will customs irradiate it for overseas people? That brings up another question, are the algaes irradiated?..some people say they are...needs to be checked with customs. Still, if they are irradiated there is not much we can do. The overseas weeds and algaes still work wonderfully.

And yes, that iodine from the seaweeds is very very important to block absorption of the nasties, but many other things in the weeds like various enzymes and other substances do break down or carry out of the body the various harmful substances that are in the ocean. Seaweed study is fascinating, there are so many things going on with them. Even the unique cellular structure helps reduce initial pollution absorption from various meltdowns.

Some more exciting findings that are not usually talked about on forums in relation to sea weeds.

Cytochrome P450 monooxygenases for fatty acids and xenobiotics in marine macroalgae

Pflugmacher S, Sandermann H Jr

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Clinical importance of Cytochrone P450

David Russell, Daniel Nerbert

[toxicology.usu.edu] (a tricky complex medical study)

Still got lots of study to do in this area.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 10:24PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 12, 2014 12:04AM

fresh Wrote:
> Thats like the smog in china...
> There was a story that the govt was putting out
> The benefits of smog
> [world.time.com]
> me-great-things-about-toxic-air/

While everyone govs's are raising the "safe level" of ionized radiation in 20x and 30x increments 'for our health".

Date: April 17, 2014 05:32PM

Prana Wrote:
> Check out what Don and John have to say about
> possible iodine deficiency on the raw diet One
> Mineral Deficiency on a Raw Vegan Diet that will
> Sabotage Your Health.

Anyone have any inside info on John's test results? This is a really important topic which many people are, or should be, interested in.

Does it take more than two months to get iodine test results back or something? Still no follow up video on okraw about what's going on.

Date: June 23, 2014 11:56AM

SueZ Wrote:
> Prana Wrote:
> -----
> > Check out what Don and John have to say about
> > possible iodine deficiency on the raw diet One
> > Mineral Deficiency on a Raw Vegan Diet that
> will
> > Sabotage Your Health.
>
>
> Anyone have any inside info on John's test
> results? This is a really important topic which
> many people are, or should be, interested in.
>
> Does it take more than two months to get iodine
> test results back or something? Still no follow up
> video on okraw about what's going on.

Still no follow up ...

Date: July 11, 2014 11:16PM

Four very long months now without a follow up seems to point pretty strongly in the direction that John flunked his iodine test. IMO.

Glad I'm taking as much good Atlantic seaweeds as I am - especially since background radiation in my area has tripled since the three meltdowns at Fukushima and there's nothing but further fubar to come out of the whole ongoing catastrophe.

Just a few reminding words in passing to the wise...

Date: July 12, 2014 10:53PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Four very long months now without a follow up
> seems to point pretty strongly in the direction
> that John flunked his iodine test. IMO.
>
> Glad I'm taking as much good Atlantic seaweeds
> as I am - especially since background radiation in
> my area has tripled since the three meltdowns at
> Fukushima and there's nothing but further fubar to
> come out of the whole ongoing catastrophe.
>
> Just a few reminding words in passing to the
> wise...

Maybe he'll spill the beans at the WFF. Hope so.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 15, 2014 08:24PM

I take organic iodine every single day since Fukushima. Kelp powder from Iceland. I just mix it with my Himalayan salt and pepper spice mix. Also put in my green powder mix I put in my banana smoothies. I am very careful about that. The Ocean is dying only four species in some parts of Canada where it used to be many, according to scientists speaking out. And I know iodine protects you from the uptake of radiation. I also eat raw nori sheets, try to one a day in my salads. I also bought potassium iodide just in case, in storage, its a big dose of it, but only for nuclear emergencies. I would rather take the iodine organically in seaweed powder. I mentioned this here on this board somewhere and felt I was just being paranoid, but it is a real issue I think.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: December 25, 2014 10:30AM

There are many non seaweed sources of iodine: bananas, strawberries, Cranberries
Iodine deficiency should be rare for vegans

Date: December 25, 2014 11:14AM

SueZ Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> -----
> > Prana Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Check out what Don and John have to say about
> > > possible iodine deficiency on the raw diet
> One
> > > Mineral Deficiency on a Raw Vegan Diet that
> > will
> > > Sabotage Your Health.
> >
> >
> > Anyone have any inside info on John's test
> > results? This is a really important topic which
> > many people are, or should be, interested in.
> >
> > Does it take more than two months to get
> iodine
> > test results back or something? Still no follow
> up
> > video on okraw about what's going on.
>
>
> Still no follow up ...

Crickets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables