Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone using their oven as a Dehydrator? I'm not so sure about this...
Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: November 28, 2006 08:34PM

I really need a Dehydrator and I'm willing to save up for one, but my friend told me about this method of using a work light and a 60 watt light bulb with an extension cord in her oven...

Does anyone know how safe this is? I would think bacteria could grow on the food or something. Has anyone done this or know anything about it?

Thanks!

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone using their oven as a Dehydrator? I'm not so sure about this...
Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: November 29, 2006 06:03AM

Anyone?

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Posted by: brome ()
Date: November 29, 2006 08:30PM

Instead of a light bulb for heat I use an old electric frypan that I can adjust to achieve the right temperature. A light should work OK also as you could adjust the temperature by increasing or decreasing the gap of the ajar door. Use a thermometer. 110 degrees is good. As for bacteria, the oven is more sanitary than a regular dehydrator because you can sterilize it by occasionally by turning it up to baking temperatures, after you finish drying of course.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 29, 2006 11:08PM

Hi Brome,

what type of electric frypan do you use? I've been thinking of getting something like that for playing around with same raw dishes. Actually, I was thinking of buying a hot plate or something and modifying it so it would heat to around 105F.
But, if I can find something in thrift/second-hand shop that doesn't need modified, that would be great. Your pan could be really great for melting cacoa and coconut butter.

As for the oven, I don't really trust 'em, mainly from the temperature control point of view. Infact I'd love to toss mine out, but I'm renting and it's doesn't belong to me, and replace it with D10 from Sausage Maker. Currently I turned the gas off to oven because I don't use it and don't like the pilot lights being on all the time (fumes and such).

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 04:49AM

I use the warming draw in my oven. I set it to warm which is about 150 and I try to keep the pans (use them for flax crackers)in the front so it doesn't get too hot.

Date: November 30, 2006 04:34PM

I don't know the brand of my electric frypan. It has a cord with a temperature control unit that plugs into it. As a finely controlled heat source to put on the bottom of the oven it works well but would be too hot to put anything directly into it.

Date: November 30, 2006 04:58PM

sodoffsocks, heat a large pot full of water to your desired temperature. Place your cocoa butter or whatever in another smaller container and place in the large pot of warmed water. Wrap towels around pot to keep heat in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables