Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Hummus Question
Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:37AM

Later this week, I was to make some raw hummus to eat... I want to take olive oil out of the recipe and add something else that isn't so processed? Water?

Here is what I usually make it with:

Celtic Sea Salt
Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
Chickpeas (soaked for a day)
Olive Oil

Mix in a Vitamix

But I want to take olive oil out. What is a good substitute instead?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Hummus Question
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:48AM

I've been substituting hemp oil for whatever oil is listed in a recipe, I find it lighter and prefer the taste. I normally use a lot less than stated as well.

You could use water or maybe water and extra tahini (sesame seed paste). Actually, I think hummus is supposed to have tahini in and I don't see it on your list.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2006 04:12AM

I just use water, than add garlic, lemon, hot pepper and many other herbs and or spices. Curry makes it more traditional mid eastern or Indian.

elnatural

Date: November 29, 2006 04:23AM

Has anyone ever tried it like...

Lemons, water, sea salt and chickpeas?

See, this raw good place near me makes it with tahini, spices, garlic, etc, but I don't really like all those spices and excess stuff. I've grown to like how I make it.

Now, why tahini? Does it give it a paste-like consitancy? I've tried it alone and it's kind of has no taste.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 29, 2006 04:57AM

You might try one of the raw hummus recipes that use cauliflower instead of chickpeas. Also, another fat to use instead of oil is hulled hemp seeds, that have been ground in a (coffee) grinder, although a powerful blender or food processor ought to be able to grind the seeds.

Date: November 29, 2006 05:05AM

Do you have the recipe that uses cauliflower instead of the chickpeas? I am interested in trying that one.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 29, 2006 05:47AM

Sorry, I don't have one. Try looking the the living-foods.com recipe section. I have also heard of people using zucchini instead of the chickpeas.

Posted by: lisa_pe ()
Date: November 29, 2006 12:30PM

I have made it with zuccini, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, a little olive oil and water. It is a beautiful green color and it tastes like the hummus with chick peas!
Lisa

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: November 30, 2006 01:54PM

I make it with sprouted chick peas (2 - 3 days), Lemon, Olive Oil, Tahini, Garlic, a little Shoyu or tamari, a little water if needed.

I don't know if you will get the right consistancy without using some kind of oil, mine never really goes to a paste like consistency until I add the oil. As someone said you could try extra Tahini.

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 30, 2006 04:35PM

I sprout the chick peas only for approx 1 day until they have only just sprouted with small tails (taste better that way). You could try eating a few on their own like that to see if they taste ok for you.

Although the consistency is not right (I don't care about that ... mine is more pate / paste like, but tastes great to me). I do not add water or oil, but I do put in tahini (which I make myself).

If you are interested in making your own, it is a bit of a lengthy process, but quite easy. My home made tahini is not quite like the bought stuff, but tastes fine to me. When I have a day when I am going to be at home a lot, I start in the morning. I grind approx 2 packets of sesame seeds a little at a time in a mill / grinder and put them into my food processor. I leave them for approx half hour and then I start processing them in my food processor. I do them for a while and stop before they get too warm from the processing. I stop and scrape down the sides and mix it all in every now and then throughout the process. Then I leave them for 30 - 60 mins and process them again. I keep doing this throughout the day off and on, leaving them to cool down in between. When I have a consistency that I am happy with, I put it in a glass jar in the fridge.

John

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:22PM

avocado?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables